• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Maison Martin Margiela Womens FW07/08 - Paris

I LOVE the half of the show that doesn't have the huge shoulders. I love how vivid the colors are and how they are mixed. WOOT! And, there is something about those fabric covered boots [:P]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Maison Martin Margiela Womens FW07/08 - Paris

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

A few of the weirder ones, for the sake of balance.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

you mean for the sake of upsetting the balance [:P]

What do you think of the crazy shoulders?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

It's very slick! Completely different from the men's, although the
              cuts are similarly sharp and stunning. I really like the cape dress that you posted (the one with the yellow stockings/boots).

I'm not sure what to make of the shoulders. They kind of remind me of Bladerunner. He's obviously continuing the ideas from his last two collections--the way some of the clothes "hang" from the broad shoulders makes them seem very distant from the body, almost autonomous. Also, those covered boots look like drapery (!) and some of the necklaces look like stylized versions of the picture frames from last year. Very interesting to see where it's going, although also very hard to figure it out.

I'm sure it will do brilliantly in stores.

Comment

• nqth
                • Sep 2006

Very nice collection. I like the skirt, too (with holes to put legs through :-P)

I like the body "flat" effectsfrom this and SS07. Very sharp and geometric silhouette. Great.

Comment

• explicit
                  • Jan 2007

there's so much i like about this- the beautiful, vibrant colors; the interplay of the various textures; the way the fabrics hang on the body- but i hate (like so much so that it diminishes the overall feel of the collection) the exaggerated shoulders. to me it's done beyond being either playful or as an attempt an innovation (or, rather, renovation). it doesn't work well, imho. all the rest, though, just looks fantastic.

Comment

• Seventh
                    • Dec 2006

I like most of this a lot. I generally hate loud colors and black, but he pulls it off well (esp. in the pink and green boots/stockings that Faust posted--electric!) I like the flatness of the silhouette and how he playing with the width of the shoulders and how that changes the drape and proportion of the body, for example when he does something like this:

but I agree that the more overt big shoulders (talking heads?) don't seem to work.

Comment

• casem
                      • Sep 2006

I find this much more compelling than his recent menswear. The shoulders... well they certainly create a nice effect and he did it in a way that somehow does not remind me of the 90s (this is a good thing) but I just don't think it's flattering in real life.
                      music

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]

I like most of this a lot. I generally hate loud colors and black, but he pulls it off well (esp. in the pink and green boots/stockings that Faust posted--electric!) I like the flatness of the silhouette and how he playing with the width of the shoulders and how that changes the drape and proportion of the body, for example when he does something like this:

but I agree that the more overt big shoulders (talking heads?) don't seem to work.

[/quote]

I think Seventh put it very well, my opinions on this. I like the expirementation and playfullness, but I think the shoulders work the best, and work really nicely at that! when they change the way the pieces drape by pushing the shoulders natural position on slightly, as opposed to adding a new structural unit that is autonomous from the body. It compliments the form rather than trying to "add" to it, which has been done rather rarely and even here, although some of the pieces work well enough, simply don't interest me as much as the piece that Seventh quoted here, for instance.
                        WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎