X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kucejoe
    • Sep 2006

Tailoring Questions

Okay, I know nothing about what is actually possible when you get an item tailored as I have had pants hemmed and that is about it. So, I have a couple questions about what kind of things a good tailor is capable of.

Can you have a coat taken in so that it becomes a size smaller (i.e. making a 48 fit like a 46/44) without comprimising the cut/quality of the garment?

If sleeves have zippers or buttons at the end, can they be shortened without the removal of those details?

Can shoulders be made smaller and/or sleeves/body be made slimmer?

I hope that these questions are at least somewhat articulate...remember, I am an idiot in this domain.

Anyways, in the future, I think this thread could be a place where people ask these little questions (also, where to find a good tailor in city X) without creating a new thread for each.

Thanks

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram
  • Seventh
    • Dec 2006

Re: Tailoring Questions

Great question! I also would like to know more about tailoring.
    Also, what are the possibilities with pants, can they be rebuilt to be smaller?

Comment

• kucejoe
      • Sep 2006

Montreal Cobbler/Tailor

Hi, could someone recommend me a good cobbler in Montreal?

And, while you are at it, a the name of a good tailor wouldn't hurt either.

Thanks

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• cabl3
        • Dec 2008

I've had a slew of slacks tailored to fit slim...everything's pretty much perfect except for the pockets, which now tend to bubble out a little (slash pockets).

Can I fix this by taking them apart at the outseam and adjusting them? Would this make it lie flat now?

My tailor seems to just take in the sides, and not actually take the pant apart.
        "If you want to tell the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you."
        - Wilde

Comment

• clay
          • Sep 2006

Pants are easier to make a size smaller or so. A tailored jacket is very difficult and proportions and fit may/will be thrown off to some degree. Areas such as armholes, necklines, pocket positions can become odd

Comment

• Mar 2009

you can always ask someone at reborn or holt for a good cobble/tailor..

Comment

• eat me
              • May 2009

I won't say that mine are definitive answers, but I'll try to help.

Can you have a coat taken in so that it becomes a size smaller (i.e. making a 48 fit like a 46/44) without comprimising the cut/quality of the garment?
              That would mean taking almost the whole thing apart, recutting it and putting back together. If anyone will undertake this kind of job, it will probably be costly.

If sleeves have zippers or buttons at the end, can they be shortened without the removal of those details?
              Yes. The zips would need to be cut and re-sewn into place, the buttons moved and the new buttonholes put in. Again, tedious, not something your regular hem-shortening person would gladly do, but I imagine it could be done.

Can shoulders be made smaller and/or sleeves/body be made slimmer?
              Sleeves can be made slimmer a bit without deconstructing and distorting the shape/proportions. Same for the body. However, if you need a lot to be taken in it'll distort the silhouette. Shoulders are much more difficult to make smaller, in that case it's going to be the same path as question number one.

Also, what are the possibilities with pants, can they be rebuilt to be smaller?
              Smaller how? Shorter - yes. Tapered - yes. Smaller all-round - not really.

Comment

• mass
                • Sep 2006

isn't moving buttons on a sleeve kinda weird since you can't extend the sleeve vent?

Comment

• eat me
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by mass View Post
                  isn't moving buttons on a sleeve kinda weird since you can't extend the sleeve vent?
                  It is, but then that's about the only option if you want to shorten the sleeve.

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

also, 2+ year old question
                    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Test
                      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by eat me View Post
                      It is, but then that's about the only option if you want to shorten the sleeve.
                      If you really trust your tailor you can shorten from the shoulder seam.

Comment

• Aleks
                        • Feb 2009

I've visited and worked with a tailor that does that type of stuff. Works for Holt, Burberry and Gucci tailoring items. Everything is extremely costly, he doesn't like new customers either.

It is possible though.

Comment

• metin
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Test View Post
                          If you really trust your tailor you can shorten from the shoulder seam.
                          Much harder if the shoulder is roped, so this whole "trust" thing is really important.

Comment

• Zeal
                            • Apr 2008

I am thinking of getting a leather vest tailored from a 46 to a 44, so I'd want to get the shoulders narrower and the sides taken in a bit. I figure since there are no sleeves, narrowing the shoulder shouldn't be too troublesome? The armhole would clearly have to be re-cut, but apart from that are there any other obvious problems with what I want to do?

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎