• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Dries Van Noten F/W 07-08

Style.com says Dries does drab....Laika loves it. [:P]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Dries Van Noten F/W 07-08

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

Absolutely love the first top. [51]

Comment

• deuxmille
          • Nov 2006

I like most of it... not too fond of the ocre he's using. The first few pics you posted are really nice, I think I even like the paisley print dress.

Comment

• ddohnggo
            • Oct 2006

i think this collection is well done, with a lot of good individual pieces, which i think could have been styled together. it would have been more dramatic if the brighter colored pieces were matched with the monochromatic pieces.

the outfits are definitely more ready to wear than the chalayan collection. not too familiar with dries' past women's collections, but has he ever made any bold or experimental collections?

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

This is a fucking break through for Dries - easily the best collection in the last few seasons and the best of this season (along with Ann). I absolutely love the innovative cuts, the fabrics, the palette, the outerwear, the bags - EVERYTHING. Drab? WTF are they talking about? I bet they liked that circus of a show by Balenciaga...

Laika, I have a firm belief that you will be broke and happy this winter. [H]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• deuxmille
                • Nov 2006

Had another look... this outfit is amazing, especially the flowy pants.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

This is a fucking break through for Dries - easily the best collection in the last few seasons and the best of this season (along with Ann). I absolutely love the innovative cuts, the fabrics, the palette, the outerwear, the bags - EVERYTHING. Drab? WTF are they talking about? I bet they liked that circus of a show by Balenciaga...

Laika, I have a firm belief that you will be broke and happy this winter. [H]

[/quote]

Agreed!

nqth made the very astute observation that, in a season where Balenciaga has gone all folksy and multicultural, Dries is going industrial. I can imagine wearing so much of this, because it doesn't look as "rich" as his clothing can. This may be the first year I go to a trunk show. [:$]

You are so right about being happy and broke too--I've just made a vow not to shop until fall! Between this, Junya, and Ann, my wallet is bound to suffer.

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

This has been a great season, so many great shows! Every day I get home is another show or two to enjoy. Good week, all in all.
                    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Eric Wilson's (NYT) review, gives a bit of detail...

"the work of Dries van Noten often looks so simple on a runway that
                      you get only a hint of the complexities of the design, the balance of
                      color and the shapes in motion.

Looking at the subtle paisley
                      prints in burgundy and navy and the pale Indian embroidery, you might
                      not have guessed that these designs began with the paintings and
                      drawings of Egon Schiele.
                      The serene shapes of ottoman bubble jackets, worn over skirts made of
                      quilted nylon jacket liners, offered no indication that they were made
                      of high-tech performance fabrics, often a blend of polyester with
                      mohair or papery cotton. The results were garments that were light to
                      the touch and take up little space. Nevertheless, the picture was
                      enthralling"

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                        • Dec 2006

Late to post this, but I really like this collection. I often can't handle the decorative whimsy of some of Dries' work, sometime it feels like a fey orientalism, but this is very different and just beautiful. He has an astounding eye for color and materials, I love that ochre (among all the others), and the embroidery seems discreet but luxurious. The collection also seems extremely wearable in the best sense.

Slightly off topic, but I am sick of designers grabbing decorative motifs from "fashionable" artists, as with Dries and Egon Schiele. I feel like it is unnecessary, easy and very reductive to the artwork. I have to also include Ann D., I loved her show, but I don't feel that Kara Walker's prints added anything to Ann D's design. I understand that designers are influenced by artists (and vice versa), but surely the references could be less literal than simply cutting and pasting.

Comment

• nqth
                          • Sep 2006

I am with you with the artist+designer things. I like graphics but rather have it dabbed right on simple clothes (tshirt, shirt, skirt..) as a main motifs, than a little precious prints here and there.

I like the way Ann made the bird prints much more than her use of b&w prints in this collection.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]Late to post this, but I really like this collection. I often can't handle the decorative whimsy of some of Dries' work, sometime it feels like a fey orientalism, but this is very different and just beautiful. He has an astounding eye for color and materials, I love that ochre (among all the others), and the embroidery seems discreet but luxurious. The collection also seems extremely wearable in the best sense.

Slightly off topic, but I am sick of designers grabbing decorative motifs from "fashionable" artists, as with Dries and Egon Schiele. I feel like it is unnecessary, easy and very reductive to the artwork. I have to also include Ann D., I loved her show, but I don't feel that Kara Walker's prints added anything to Ann D's design. I understand that designers are influenced by artists (and vice versa), but surely the references could be less literal than simply cutting and pasting.

[/quote]

I agree, when it's not the center piece or the main point of the collection. I wouldn't get the Kara Walker reference, because I don't know who Kara Walker is (well, now I do :-)). It definitely didn't add to the collection, but I don't think it distracted either. I am much more bothered when Rei does New Yorker tshirts, or makes Pink Panther or Rolling Stones lips the center piece of her collection - now those are pointless - her blazers would be equally good regardless of whether their lining is pink or not. If Ann put Kara Walker prints on blazers and coats, than I would say, yea, it's too much. When they are printed on one or two pieces out of the entire collection, I think it's Ok.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]Late to post this, but I really like this collection. I often can't handle the decorative whimsy of some of Dries' work, sometime it feels like a fey orientalism, but this is very different and just beautiful. He has an astounding eye for color and materials, I love that ochre (among all the others), and the embroidery seems discreet but luxurious. The collection also seems extremely wearable in the best sense.

[/quote]

Really interesting point!

Honestly, sometimes I think these writers are full of crap, pointing out all these "subtle" references for us mere mortals. The colors and the patterns are obviously Vienna-inspired, but I don't see any literal interpretation of, or direct reference to Schiele. He could be drawing on any number of Austrian artists from that circle here. (If I am missing some overt link to Schiele, please point it out.)

Dries can definitely be a little tourist-y, with all his various cultural appropriations, but I don't think he's ever literal enough to be called reductive. The Kara Walker thing is very different, I think, because it is so literal and explicit. I'm still waiting to see a detail shot of the pattern, because I sure hope Ann isn't putting images of lynching and rape on her clothes (!). I can see where one could find this reductive, especially given the political and historical context of the art work in question. But I think the way Ann uses art in her work is different from the norm--she seems to feel a really deep, emotional kinship with the work process of certain artists. The interesting thing for me, in this instance, is how she's transposing this particular use of silhouette, and of black and white into her own medium. I can see the connection to Kara Walker in all the garments she made, not just the actual prints. The prints are like a cipher of her thinking.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎