• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Isaac Sellam Experience

This brand is in its second season. I checked out some of their stuff in The Library in London and at Ennu in Amsterdam, and some of it was quite interesting, and really well made.

There was a jacket of almost like this below, made of washed beige linen on the outside and lined with washed brown leather on the inside. I scrounged up some pictures after googling it (naturally they are from all the Japanese websites, even though it's an Italian brand). If anyone has more info, please share. From what I saw, their specialty is leather, and they do it really well. The garments are presented in a leather case of the sort that was used to fasten blankets to horse saddles in the days of yore.

These pictures don't say much, but I thought the quality was outstanding.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Isaac Sellam Experience

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Thanks for bringing this in, Faust. I actually like that look with the apron/tunic thing and combat boots. The leather jacket looks nice, but better suited to a man, imo.
      ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]Thanks for bringing this in, Faust. I actually like that look with the apron/tunic thing and combat boots. The leather jacket looks nice, but better suited to a man, imo.
        [/quote]

I agree. I'm not a fan of this particular jacket (in post 2), but this season he did it differently - the asymmetrical closing is much less slanted and closes with those studs instead of the zipper, the color is more subtle, and the leather lining is like carrying a secret. I wonder if it's reversible... still thinking about it.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
          • Dec 2006

i just picked up an Isaac Sellam leather hooded jacket from the Archive in SF. it'schocolate colored,has beautiful contrast stitching,and is leather-lined -the quality is amazing! i love the raw cut, and the leather is super thin calf leather, has riri zippers, and it's not readily perceptible from the pictures on doorsbyjasmb but the sleeves and back of the jacket have a sharp angled, raw cut.

it's the same one as seen here:

https://www.doorsbyjasmb.jp/details.php?pid=121#

except mine is not black, but a choclate-honey brown. i saw two newer jackets for fall, one was a hoodie similar to mine but a bit thicker, the other one was a thicker jacket with stitching reminiscent of CCP's overlock jacket. the first thing that came to mind when i saw this crushed leather jacket was CCP's fencing jacket. from what i heard, he only works with leather. i am a huge isaac sellam experience fan now - easily my favorite piece in my closet thus far!

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="kompressorkev"]

i just picked up an Isaac Sellam leather hooded jacket from the Archive in SF. it'schocolate colored,has beautiful contrast stitching,and is leather-lined -the quality is amazing! i love the raw cut, and the leather is super thin calf leather, has riri zippers, and it's not readily perceptible from the pictures on doorsbyjasmb but the sleeves and back of the jacket have a sharp angled, raw cut.

it's the same one as seen here:

https://www.doorsbyjasmb.jp/details.php?pid=121#

except mine is not black, but a choclate-honey brown. i saw two newer jackets for fall, one was a hoodie similar to mine but a bit thicker, the other one was a thicker jacket with stitching reminiscent of CCP's overlock jacket. the first thing that came to mind when i saw this crushed leather jacket was CCP's fencing jacket. from what i heard, he only works with leather. i am a huge isaac sellam experience fan now - easily my favorite piece in my closet thus far!

[/quote]

That's great - I also really liked what I saw at the Library and the prices are not insane. Was the jacket on sale? What else did they have?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
              • Dec 2006

yes 50% off, retail was $995 so i got it for $498. yes prices are not too insane, and i was lucky to get the last piece on sale. the two leather jackets for fall weren't on sale, they were about $1800-2100ish i think. there were only three Sellam pieces in total at Archive. though they did haveafew Gustavo Lins, some beautiful beautiful pieces even on sale (50-70% off).

some other things i remember: black ann dem boots ($380 - one pair left - size 41); bunch of L.G.B. pieces; ann dem. S/S07 pleated shirts, t-shirts, pants, 50-70%; lots of neil barrett, nice collective, some masatomo, costume national homme, dirk schonberger,and some beautiful Jan & Carlos pieces (leather jackets, and pieces w/ leather accents like pantsand shirt/jackets - all pieces were brown or a honey-colored tan). they have some really great pieces - easily my favorite men's store.

Comment

• jippos
                • Mar 2007

I tried the leather hoodie on in a size large at the Archive on Thursday and hesitated, although I really liked it. Slim, long arms, raw and asymetrical. I ended up buying a Demeulemeester flannel shirt/jacket instead.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

I must say, I really like the way the contrasting leather is done, I think it's hard to do it tastefully.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Anaconda [:|]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kompressorkev
                        • Dec 2006

nice pieces! anaconda is crazy - i wonder how many anacondasare used per year for clothing uses?i wouldn't thinkit'sthat readily available.onIsaac Sellam,i really like the leather work in person from what i've seen. the embrodiery/lining on the inside of the fall/winter jackets i've seen is amazing. i was looking at another leather jacket designer, Un Solo Mondo, whom at first i mistook for Isaac Sellam. very artisanal, nice aged-looking leather, all hand done by the designer if i remember correctly. so trying on two differnet 48's, i got quite different fitsthough it wastwo of the same piece. reminded me very much of Isaac Sellam, and i would've bought it if it weren't already sold to another customer. they're on boutique.ru as well, but not the men's jackets...

Comment

• sbw4224
                          • Sep 2006

Without a doubt the pieces I've handled have been well made, but this line is bordering too closely on that expensive euro-trash look for me to really take seriously.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                            • Dec 2006

a lamb leather t-shirt:

a bit over-the-top, i think a leather t-shirt is a bit much. nonetheless, the leather is awesome, and at least the mesh on the sides on the body make it more wearable. i'm still on the fence about this piece, it's overdone in my opinion, but i like isaac sellam's pieces a lot...and love the feel of the leather. i think i'd have to layer something, which is kindaawkward to do with a t-shirt, cause i wouldn't want theleather on my skin directly. but from the stuff i've seen of f/w 07/08, a lot of the new pieces are very wearable...and the attention to detail is impeccable - a lot of jackets have an elaboratelinen and silk embroidery inside as the lining.

Comment

• DHC
                              • Jul 2007

I am so happy to see Sellam make the board. His work is great. He does a lot of asymmetric closure paired with horizontal flap pockets which I really like. I believe his leather jackets are waterproof as well, coupling fashion and function.

Kompressorkey, I love that hoodie and think you got a steal of a deal. If you ever want to sell it let me know. :)

Originally posted by Faust
                              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎