X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vicomte
    • Mar 2007

Hedi Slimane to leave Dior Homme, Kris Van Assche to design for LVMH

The news is on Vogue uk. Don't know if it's official though but it seems to be sure.

KRIS VAN ASSCHE will succeed Hedi Slimane as creative director of Dior. The Belgian designer, who previously worked at the label before launching his own line in 2005, has been chosen by LVMH for his comprehensive knowledge of the company and reputation for fine tailoring. As reported yesterday, contract negotiations between Slimane and Dior had been proving difficult since last June - predominantly because Slimane was keen to start his own label, but reluctant to give up complete control of his trademark. Friction between both parties was said to be filtering down into the rest of the company, and Dior yesterday decided to cut all ties with the designer. According to WWD, the brand is looking to change the direction of its menswear but keen to keep a sense of heritage within future collections. The move, which is bound to shock many in the fashion industry, smacks of the surprising splits between Jil Sander and Helmut Lang, who both left their namesake houses in 2004 and 2005 respectively. (March 29 2007, AM)

• Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: Hedi Slimane to leave Dior Homme, Kris Van Assche to design for LVMH

Bit of a dumbass comment at the endthere.

Anyway my predicition (not very surprosing this)is that Dior Homme will continue to get rubbish-er after KVA joints and Hedi will be very succesfulon his own.

Comment

• Vicomte
      • Mar 2007

Yep, probably, indeed. Sydney Telado (or Toledo, can't remember), president of Christian Dior, said that he wanted Dior to expand A LOT (he said so to justify the two recent collections of Dior woman, which are even worse than usual) so they need to open new stores and sell a lot. That's probably why they fired Slimane (+ his refusing to sell his name to them), because even if Dior Homme is getting more and more commercial, his designs aren't mainstream enough for them.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Johnny, do you mean rubbisher in terms of design or sales? If Gucci/Tom Ford think is any indication, the sales will be just fine.

Hedi should be successful on his own, provided he actually concentrates on design (that in itself provided he actually designed early DH for the most part, which probably was the case judging by his work at YSL).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kucejoe
          • Sep 2006

Here is the WWD article.

The Hedi Days Are Over: LVMH Dumps Slimane, Van Assche Deal Near

Published: Thursday, March 29, 2007
          By Miles Socha
          PARIS ? Dior Homme is bidding adieu to Hedi Slimane and is close to replacing him with Kris Van Assche, WWD has learned.

Sources said the French fashion house is zeroing in on a contract with
          the 30-year-old Belgian designer, who cut his teeth at Slimane's side
          before launching his signature brand in 2005. An announcement is
          expected in the next few days.

It is understood Dior wants to
          plot a new path for its men's wear and move on from Slimane, yet with a
          designer familiar with Dior Homme's codes and possessing a strong knack
          for tailoring. Neither Dior officials nor Slimane could be reached for
          comment Wednesday.

The ouster of Slimane ? one of luxury titan
          Bernard Arnault's biggest fashion talents ? is bound to reverberate
          throughout the industry, signaling stardom is no guarantee of job
          security and that brand owners are not prisoners of their creative
          talent. The split with Slimane mirrors those of Jil Sander and Helmut
          Lang at their respective houses, which at the time were owned by Prada
          Group.

As reported in WWD Wednesday, Dior became "fed up" with
          Slimane's demands during protracted negotiations to renew his contract,
          which expired last July. Sources said control rights were the most
          contentious issue, with Slimane, an exacting sort, determined to nail
          down even niggling details about brand strategy and business plans.
          Since his arrival at Dior Homme, he assembled a press department
          independent of the main fashion house and constructed a minimalist
          atelier ? complete with a monolithic ceiling speaker ? down the road
          from Dior headquarters on Rue François 1er.

The failure to
          renew Slimane's contract also scuttles plans for Dior to back a Hedi
          Slimane fashion house, long a dream of the designer, who was keen to
          branch out into women's wear and other lifestyle categories such as
          home furnishings.

Sources said Dior was willing to back a
          signature house, but there were wide differences over the estimated
          value of the Hedi Slimane brand and control rights. Slimane was
          reluctant to give up ownership of his name, even if LVMH Moët Hennessy
          Louis Vuitton owns the companies producing the collections of its other
          design stars, John Galliano and Marc Jacobs.

Sources close to
          Slimane indicate he is sad to leave Dior and "tried to make things
          work" with the luxury giant, but ultimately he was unwilling to
          compromise his work, especially concerning a label under his own name.

Slimane's next move is bound to be the subject of intense speculation,
          but sources suggested his goal is to find a financial backer to launch
          his signature brand, putting him in a similar position to Tom Ford, who
          was shown the door after a blockbuster reign as Gucci Group's creative
          director after he and Gucci Group chief executive Domenico De Sole
          failed to reach new contracts with parent PPR.

Ford's
          signature men's wear will be unveiled next month, and he already has
          introduced fragrances with Estée Lauder and eyewear with Italy's
          Marcolin Group.

WWD first reported a stalemate in contract
          negotiations with Slimane last June, and noted at that time that Van
          Assche was already among designers Dior contacted as a possible
          successor. According to sources, talks with Van Assche reached an
          advanced state on the eve of the Dior Homme show that summer, but they
          suddenly halted. It is understood Dior considered other possible
          candidates in the interim, but opted to resume exclusive talks with Van
          Assche.

A graduate of Antwerp's famed fashion academy, Van
          Assche worked with Slimane for seven years, both at Yves Saint Laurent
          and Dior Homme. Known for his sartorial style ? dashed with
          lighthearted and romantic touches *? he first hit the fashion radar in
          2005 with the launch of his signature brand, which he shows in Paris
          and sells to retailers such as Harvey Nichols, Colette, Holt Renfrew,
          Bon Marché and Printemps.

Van Assche recently branched out
          into women's wear, featuring such whimsical elements as an embroidered
          duck motif sketched by his six-year-old niece and embroidered around
          the waist of a white blouse. His concept is to use men's materials for
          women's clothing, and he has shown his-and-hers styles side-by-side on
          his Paris runway for two seasons.

It could not be learned if
          Van Assche will continue to produce his signature brand or devote his
          energies exclusively to Dior Homme.

Slimane's departure is
          bound to shock many in the industry, given the impact he's had on men's
          fashion, making skinny suits and tight, low-riding jeans the epitome of
          cool for today's young generations. He also transformed Dior Homme into
          the must-see show of Men's Fashion Week in Paris, drawing a Who's Who
          of the art, music and fashion worlds.

Designer Karl Lagerfeld
          famously shed more than 90 pounds simply to be able to shimmy into
          Slimane's spare, graphic threads, and rock stars from Mick Jagger to
          Pete Doherty have belted out tunes decked out in Dior Homme.

Slimane was also given purview over men's fragrances at Dior, tapping
          David Lynch to direct commercials for Fahrenheit and conceiving a
          prestige skin care line called Dermo System as sleek and exacting as
          his fashions, albeit with a more classic edge.

An art history
          graduate from the Ecole du Louvre, Slimane burst onto the fashion scene
          in the late Nineties as the men's wear creative director at YSL,
          earning standing ovations for collections that were seductively
          androgynous and crackling with modern energy. He was a pioneer in
          inviting contemporary artists like Ugo Rondinone to put works in YSL
          stores, putting his fashions in a broader cultural context.

But when Gucci Group acquired YSL in 1999, Slimane balked at a
          hierarchy that had him reporting to Ford. In spring 2000, he resigned
          from YSL to pursue talks about a Gucci-backed signature collection.
          Prada Group also courted Slimane to take over Jil Sander, but he
          ultimately accepted an offer from Arnault to join in the rejuvenation
          of Dior, which was already kicking into high gear with the arrival of
          Galliano.

From his first explosive show in January 2001,
          attended by the likes of Yves Saint Laurent, Catherine Deneuve and Cate
          Blanchett, Slimane imbued Dior Homme with buzz and a strong youth
          appeal. Detractors scoffed at his young and often painfully thin models
          and stick-to-the-ribs styles requiring a svelte figure and a bold
          attitude.

Still, his impact on fashion has been broad and many
          retailers clamored for a Slimane women's line, since he already enjoyed
          a cult female following, having dressed the likes of Madonna, Charlotte
          Rampling, Linda Evangelista and Nicole Kidman. Slimane also recently
          made a name for himself as a photographer and fine artist, with his
          sculptures and paintings commanding hefty sums at the Almine Rech
          gallery in Paris and at key art fairs in Europe.

Men's wear
          represents about 10 percent of Dior's business globally, but is as high
          as 20 percent in Japan. The Dior fashion house last year had sales of
          731 million euros, or $918.3 million at average exchange rates.

Suspension Point Store (Online + Montreal, QC) / Tumblr / Instagram

Comment

• Johnny
            • Sep 2006

Faust I meant rubbisher in terms of the product generally, not sales at all. Think you're probably right about that. I'd be genuinely interested to see whatHS can doon a smaller scale, where maybe he takes amore, dare i say it, artisanal approahc to the clothes. While i've never been a fan personally of his work (i.e. never bought any ofit (save for one shirt)), i think he has been an extremely influental designer and that he does have real talent.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]Faust I meant rubbisher in terms of the product generally, not sales at all. Think you're probably right about that. I'd be genuinely interested to see whatHS can doon a smaller scale, where maybe he takes amore, dare i say it, artisanal approahc to the clothes. While i've never been a fan personally of his work (i.e. never bought any ofit (save for one shirt)), i think he has been an extremely influental designer and that he does have real talent.[/quote]

I agree. As much as I don't like what DH has become, I think Luster was the best menswear collection in the past 10 years. It just blew me away in terms of design, construction, and quality of fabrics.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dontbecruel
                • Sep 2006

I never paid much attention to this stuff when it was in shops because I knew it wasn't for me but after reading this thread I went back and looked at some of the celebrated DH collections (Luster, Strip, Victim of the Crime etc) here

I really don't think they hold up well at all. It all looks very cheap, as though it was styled for a make-believe rock band in a TV drama. And most of it is just failed attempts to recreate the stuff people buy second-hand in Camden Market. Where am I supposed to see the Slimane genius?

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="dontbecruel"]

I never paid much attention to this stuff when it was in shops because I knew it wasn't for me but after reading this thread I went back and looked at some of the celebrated DH collections (Luster, Strip, Victim of the Crime etc) here

I really don't think they hold up well at all. It all looks very cheap, as though it was styled for a make-believe rock band in a TV drama. And most of it is just failed attempts to recreate the stuff people buy second-hand in Camden Market. Where am I supposed to see the Slimane genius?

[/quote]

Believe me, they were anything BUT cheap. The construction and fabrics were as top notch as it can get. It was definitely very very luxe - nothing like the thrift store knock-offs of the recent days. I have handled most of that collection, and sold a ton of it on Ebay, so I got to examine it pretty closely.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Johnny"]Faust I meant rubbisher in terms of the product generally, not sales at all. Think you're probably right about that. I'd be genuinely interested to see whatHS can doon a smaller scale, where maybe he takes amore, dare i say it, artisanal approahc to the clothes. While i've never been a fan personally of his work (i.e. never bought any ofit (save for one shirt)), i think he has been an extremely influental designer and that he does have real talent.[/quote]

I agree. As much as I don't like what DH has become, I think Luster was the best menswear collection in the past 10 years. It just blew me away in terms of design, construction, and quality of fabrics.

[/quote]

Me too; in fact every season up to then (was Luster after Strip? Geesh, I can't remember now). Anyway, everything before VoTC was pretty good to me even when I couldn't actually make the styling work. And, as you mentioned, the construction and quality were top notch. "Follow Me" was the collection where I bought the most pieces and they were arguably amongst the best-made things I've owned. I had the pair of black-painted Japanese denims with the baked whiskering, which were amazing (I read that they did the whiskering by hand with the jeans on a seated mannequin); I also had the over-embroidered button front shirt that looked like something a gothy Louis XIV might wear. I ended up selling both items because I'm neither a rockstar nor a French Aristocrat and so had no occasion to wear them.

But, I haven't even kept up with what's been going on after 2004 or so, because suddenly Dior became this really irritating "it" Lifestyle brand, where you could get Dior toothbrushes, shavers, bee-monogrammed bags, tshirts with "rock music slogans" on them, etc etc. that werequickly latched ontoby whiney, spoiled, angst-riddenteenagers. I realize that Hedi may not have been directly responsible for this, but nevertheless it is clear that the brand changed and wasn't what it once was.

And,to be honest, responsible or not,Hedi started getting on my nerves as well with the whole indie-rock inspiration thing.It waslike Karla, only... not. ;)

Comment

• laika
                      • Sep 2006

Well, this is hardly surprising. [:|]

Perhaps he will go to Chanel. [:P]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

Well, this is hardly surprising. [:|]

Perhaps he will go to Chanel. [:P]

[/quote]

Karla will take him under her wing [:P]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                          • Sep 2006

And then there were none...

I'm starting to feel cursed, my list of favorite designers is now reading like a list of who left fashion in the last few years, Lang, Plokhov, Sander and now Slimane. That seals it, I'm spending all my money next fall then leaving high-end fashion. At least his last collection is really good, I just hope it's not too hard to get a hold of given this news.
                          music

Comment

• rach2jlc
                            • Sep 2006

Anybody ever read Atlas Shrugged? I think it's happening in fashion; the best people are getting tired of the bullshit and quitting (although I doubt they're moving together to some secluded utopia... could you imagine the four of them all together in the same place? Although the fireworks would be fun...) ;)

Comment

• justine
                              • Jan 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

Johnny, do you mean rubbisher in terms of design or sales? If Gucci/Tom Ford think is any indication, the sales will be just fine.

Hedi should be successful on his own, provided he actually concentrates on design (that in itself provided he actually designed early DH for the most part, which probably was the case judging by his work at YSL).

[/quote]

I second that YSL comment, his collections there are amongst some of my absolute favorite, just so beautiful and elegant. I'm actually excited to hear this news. Hedi's worth more than the last years at DH.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎