• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

L'Eclarieur video

This is pretty cool. From men.style.com. The commentary is a bit overwrought, I guess, but next time I'm in Paris I'll check it out.

http://video.men.style.com/?fr_story...9277521a&rf=bm

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: L'Eclarieur video

Looks like a very nice store and it seems huge.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

Did you see the bit at the end where she's saying that it's not allowed just to go in and try something on and then buy it? It's a frickin shop for godsake! What else are you supposed to do. Not everyone wants to be bored into submission by listening to your philosophies on fashion-as-arte-povere. This is what annoys me about Leclaireur. Actually, in their other store in the Marais my wife and I witnessed and interesting scene. She overheard the manager, on seeing a customer leaving empty-handed, chastising the SA and then telling him to get all of the expensive stock out, "and I mean the really expensive stuff", to make up for it. Cue rails and rails of Balenciaga jackets coming out for all the fashion touristes to dribble over. It's all shite really....

Comment

• baizilla
        • Sep 2006

The lighting looks better in the video than in real life... Last time I went there.. I could barely see anything :(

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Hahaha, I was barely paying attention to her rantings. The store itself looks beautiful. If I had a physical store (ah... one day) then it would look quite similar I think!

L'Eclaireur is one of the Must See/Shop At stores when I go to Paris. They seem to stock a great deal of CCP and his ilk along with likely some other brands that many have never heard of. Always interesting to learn about new brands! Gustavo Lins for example... stuff looks/sounds great!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]Did you see the bit at the end where she's saying that it's not allowed just to go in and try something on and then buy it? It's a frickin shop for godsake! What else are you supposed to do. Not everyone wants to be bored into submission by listening to your philosophies on fashion-as-arte-povere. This is what annoys me about Leclaireur. [/quote]

to be honest I didnt quite get what she meant with that, maybe that these type of clothes take more thought that just going in and grabbing something.but anywaysit really isn't like you described, atleast not from my experience. when we were there she was extremely helpful and friendly, she gave some suggestions for mebut if I said I'll just look around that was of course ok and I tried on what I wanted. I wasn't pushed any philosophies or anything.

probably the most interesting store I've been to, the interior is amazing and the stuff there is just nuts. I didn't have too much time so I'm looking forward to going there again. I personally liked the Champs Elysees store a lot too, better selection of ann demeulemeester andrick owens for example.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

Maybe it's just me then. I've been at least6 or 7times over the last few years and the view that she expressed in the video is consistent with how they've dealt with me. I just found it a rather patronising attitiude to have....that somehow one is not equiped without their advice to appreciate the clothes. Simply not true in many cases. And I just see a double standard there, because of the other part of my post....I think that really it's all just a sales technique.

Anyway, I agree the store is cool, and that woman is quite friendly on the whole. But they have a seriously annoying habit of just chucking clothes at you if you are trying anything on. So if you are looking at a tee, before you know it you've got a jacket, trousers and a pair of shoes on. My own personal view is that it's a bit oppresive, after the novelty of it wears off.The Marais store is really bad for this...to the point where I just don't enjoy going there now, which is a shame, becuase it probably has my favourite selection of all of the stores since it has some comme and junya and some other "non gothic" labels!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ Yea, I wouldn't feel comfortable. I have my own mind, and I'm capable of making decisions, thank you very much.

On the other hand, if an SA is educated, it's interesting to find out about the fabric treatments, cutting techniques, etc. that would make you appreciate a garment more. From what I understand, that's how the staff at Lift Etage in Tokyo operates.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="Johnny"] Maybe it's just me then. I've been at least6 or 7times over the last few years and the view that she expressed in the video is consistent with how they've dealt with me. I just found it a rather patronising attitiude to have....that somehow one is not equiped without their advice to appreciate the clothes. Simply not true in many cases. And I just see a double standard there, because of the other part of my post....I think that really it's all just a sales technique.

Anyway, I agree the store is cool, and that woman is quite friendly on the whole. But they have a seriously annoying habit of just chucking clothes at you if you are trying anything on. So if you are looking at a tee, before you know it you've got a jacket, trousers and a pair of shoes on. My own personal view is that it's a bit oppresive, after the novelty of it wears off.The Marais store is really bad for this...to the point where I just don't enjoy going there now, which is a shame, becuase it probably has my favourite selection of all of the stores since it has some comme and junya and some other "non gothic" labels!

[/quote]

well you've been there quite a few times more then I so I cant really doubt you ;)

I agree on chucking of clothes though, she did bring some stuff to me that I didnt ask for but most were pretty interesting items so I didnt mind. but I can see how that could be annoying especially if they throw stuff at you that doesn't interest you in any way. I havent been to the Marais store, but the Champs Elysees one was better in this sense. the guy there was super friendly and didn't bother me at all, just asked if I was ok a few times.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎