• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Hypothetical Question: Head-to-Toe

Just out of curiosity...

If you had to pick one current designer/label of clothes to wear head-to-toe exclusively, which would it be?

I guess another way to ask this question would be: which designer/label's aesthetic most closely resembles your own personal style?

Reasons would be nice if you've got 'em.

For me it would be 45rpm. I have always gravitated to a 'preppy' style, but never liked looking too polished or proper. I'd call 45rpm kind of a relaxed preppy americana style. This in addition to their emphasis on materials makes them a no-brainer for me. Everytime I wear a 45rpm piece, it just feels right (not to say I like everything they do..)

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Hypothetical Question: Head-to-Toe

Gee, should I even answer? [:D]

I have to say though - Ann's work has changed lately, and I am not crazy about a lot of it. Still, she's the one designer whose work appeals to me in an aesthetic and meaningful way. She's a poet with thread and needle.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

Gee, should I even answer? [:D]

I have to say though - Ann's work has changed lately, and I am not crazy about a lot of it. Still, she's the one designer whose work appeals to me in an aesthetic and meaningful way. She's a poet with thread and needle.

[/quote]

I was tempted to say Ann, but I just can't really see myself in that full aesthetic. That's why I find this so hard, there aren't really any designers who have my aeshetic, which to is ultimately a mish-mash of Streetwear (Kim Jones and some of the smaller Japanese Brands), Gothic / Poetic (Poell / Ann) and my main inspiration, the sort of melded Futuristic / Youthful / Architectural work, via my favorite designer, Raf Simons.

But even with Raf, I don't think I'd wear it head to toe.

I think ultimately I'd probably go with A.P.C. of all companies, just because it's closest to my ideal, and lands generally in that perfect space between casual / dressy where no matter how "dressed down" you generally are in their clothes, you still seem more than casual. They also share that very "clean" aesthetic with Raf, but sometimes also enter into that more sporty / streetwear style, as well. None of the gothic element, ultimately, but that's probably the element I like to introduce the least. Not because it's necessarily my least favorite, more beacuse I think it's most interesting in small doses in other, cleaner, outfits, and also because I don't consider myself stylish enough to ever be able to carry off the "Dark Fashion Lord" look, even in small doses, unfortunately. The most I'd ever really go with would perhaps be a dark Jas M.B. bag or somesuch, or boots (although I find the skinhead / youthful types more interesting generally), but even both of those typically manage to overwhelm the rest of my outfits on my diminuitive and generally unattractive frame. So that'd probably be who I'd go with.

... or Raf Simons.

damnit, I can't delete that first post I made. Could you get rid of it, Faust? It's not that big of a deal, but it is sort of annoying.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• explicit
        • Jan 2007

Though I don't think I'd ever want to wear only 1 designer/label,were I to pick just one I'd go with CCP. The aesthetIc (well, most of it, anyway) fits my own and it reflects my personality fairly well. I prefer to wear primarily what may be considered fairly 'classic' clothes, but I like them to be well-constructed, and to have a slight twist to them. I've a dark sense of humor, so the way CCP plays with the conventions of standard menswear really appeals to me.

That said, the designer/label I own the most from is Cloak, but I've grown a bit away from some of the designs.

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

Rick Owens would be it for me. The fit is ideal, the designs are simple and I like the monochramatic colors.
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

I derive a lot of the pleasure/creativity of getting dressed in the way I mix very different designers. But, if I had to choose, I would say Cloak (no surprise there).

I liked the SS 06 collection a lot but only got a few things. The F/W 06 collection, however, really did it for me. I could see myself wearing just about every look from that season. Luckily I was able to get a lot of it on sale, but there are still things I want from that collection. It just struck the perfect balance between a dark/edgy look and tailored/dandy look that really appeals to me. The fits are perfect for me and I like how a lot of the fabrics are really durable workwear type fabrics, so nothing is too precious and I'm not afraid to wear the clothes constantly. I also think Cloak has the perfect amount of unique detail and character to make the clothes desirable yet everything is really wearable and not too weird. My only complaint is they shouldn't be charging so much considering the fabrics used and the epidemic of buttons falling off (otherwise I find the quality good). The current collection is less my style but I'm still finding more than enough to spend my money on (esp. at those prices) and it's the only collection that does anything for me this season. I've tried on just about everything from the current collection, so if anybody has questions let me know. I don't know what I'm going to wear when they go out of business and Hedi is gone...
            music

Comment

• macuser3of5
              • Sep 2006

Helmut Lang, probably. Lots to pull from. Second on that list... Erg, Jil Sander or McQueen. Depends how fancy I wanna get. :p

Comment

• soultek
                • Feb 2007

[quote user="casem83"]I derive a lot of the pleasure/creativity of getting dressed in the way I mix very different designers. But, if I had to choose, I would say Cloak (no surprise there).

I liked the SS 06 collection a lot but only got a few things. The F/W 06 collection, however, really did it for me. I could see myself wearing just about every look from that season. Luckily I was able to get a lot of it on sale, but there are still things I want from that collection. It just struck the perfect balance between a dark/edgy look and tailored/dandy look that really appeals to me. The fits are perfect for me and I like how a lot of the fabrics are really durable workwear type fabrics, so nothing is too precious and I'm not afraid to wear the clothes constantly. I also think Cloak has the perfect amount of unique detail and character to make the clothes desirable yet everything is really wearable and not too weird. My only complaint is they shouldn't be charging so much considering the fabrics used and the epidemic of buttons falling off (otherwise I find the quality good). The current collection is less my style but I'm still finding more than enough to spend my money on (esp. at those prices) and it's the only collection that does anything for me this season. I've tried on just about everything from the current collection, so if anybody has questions let me know. I don't know what I'm going to wear when they go out of business and Hedi is gone...

[/quote]

100% agree with your assessment of Cloak. Unfortunately I discovered them too late[:(]

Comment

• andrewislasorad
                  • Nov 2006

Does anyone on here occasionally do this ...Pull an exact look off,
                  Head-to-Toe?

What?s the feeling on this, Okay? Maybe? Or just fashion victim?

I would say I pull most from SS06 Cloak [even down to the black bandana around
                  the neck[:D]] but I have my Rick Owens days as well, but who doesn?t.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="andrewislasorad"]

Does anyone on here occasionally do this ...Pull an exact look off,
                    Head-to-Toe?

What?s the feeling on this, Okay? Maybe? Or just fashion victim?

I would say I pull most from SS06 Cloak [even down to the black bandana around
                    the neck[:D]] but I have my Rick Owens days as well, but who doesn?t.

[/quote]

It could go either way, really. I can easily do (and have done) head-to-toe Ann look, and the words like "goth" and "rock" would never pop into your head. Black zippered boots, black pants over the boots, white buttoned down over the pants, and a brown blazer with the shirt just peaking out from under it - bam. I'll have to take a pic to demonstrate. Now, I agree that with a narrower brand like N(N) or Rick Owens it might be a little tougher, but still doable - I can put together a fairly formal suit by Rick Owens easily (not to mention Poell!). Actually, I am sure that if I was more familiar with N(N) I could pull something like that off as well - I just don't do in depth examination of their stuff anymore, just glance over.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• nairb49
                      • Dec 2006

Helmut for me, maybe Yohji as well.

I'd love to be able to pull off a N(N) or Ann, but its just not me.

btw^^congrats on the 3k post Faust!

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

I try not to go head to toe, but sometimes the way things were shown just fit together so well, I can't help it. I've been guilty of wearing exactly this a few times (except the coat is oxblood):

music

Comment

• explicit
                          • Jan 2007

^^ I know what you mean, casem.
                          Today I inadvertently dressed myself totally in cloak (except my boots):

black peacoat (fw06)
                          oxblood wrinkle shirt (fw06)
                          charcoal handknit scarf (fw06)
                          black cords (fw05)

I only realized this when I checked sz just now.

Comment

• soultek
                            • Feb 2007

[quote user="casem83"]

I try not to go head to toe, but sometimes the way things were shown just fit together so well, I can't help it. I've been guilty of wearing exactly this a few times (except the coat is oxblood):

[/quote]

BTW, that jacket rules. I get compliments on it every single time I wear mine out.

Comment

• Running om Empty
                              • Mar 2007

I have a question concerning the fit of Cloak vest being sold by Shop Jake. How is it sized, could I stuff myself in the medium if I normally wear a large?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.shopjake.com//index.php?p...roduct_ID=1227

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎