PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Dubai

Acid, Bitter and Sad
04-09-2007, 04:38 AM
Might be making a trip to Dubai for work. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Any recommendations for shopping?</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Interested in:</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>- Dior Homme</DIV><DIV>- Undercover</DIV><DIV>- Number (N)ine</DIV><DIV>- Comme des garcons</DIV><DIV>- Lad Musician</DIV><DIV>- Julius</DIV><DIV>- Rick Owens</DIV><DIV>- Ann D....</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Thanks!</DIV>

Servo2000
04-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Might be making a trip to Dubai for work. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Any recommendations for shopping?</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Interested in:</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>- Dior Homme</DIV><DIV>- Undercover</DIV><DIV>- Number (N)ine</DIV><DIV>- Comme des garcons</DIV><DIV>- Lad Musician</DIV><DIV>- Julius</DIV><DIV>- Rick Owens</DIV><DIV>- Ann D....</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Thanks!</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I read an article recently about the rising luxury market in Dubai, but I have a feeling that it's not this sort of luxury, and you're most likely out of luck, I'm afraid. At the very least, I can almost guarantee you that there will be no Julius or Lad Musician (not sold out of Japan, I don't believe), and probably not any Demeulemeester. Dior Homme maybe, just since they mentioned Dior in the article, but again, I'm guessing this is more the monogrammed-bags sort of luxury market that's developing / developed.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Sorry that I wasn't much help, but I wouldn't except much out of Dubai's dark / japanese niche shopping.</DIV>

lowrey
04-09-2007, 04:45 PM
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

I have to agree with Servo here, though it has been many years since I was there (about 5 years ago). there are many big malls but what you'll find mostly is womens fashion and for men, its unfortunatelypretty much d&amp;g, armani and stuff like that.</P>

my suggestion is to focus on seeing the place itself, which is veryweird and interesting :)</P>

Chinorlz
04-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I was there friday before last and will be there again this thursday briefly. What everyone said on here is correct... mostly mainstrean/eurotrash labels available. </P>

Dubai caters to the middle-aged/borderline retired group. Very few younger people or kids go without their parents.</P>

That being said... forget shopping there. Go to the Emirates mall and go skiing indoors at Ski Dubai. For about $37 USD you cannot go wrong there. You won't regret it. Also go to the beach. A camel ride is about US $18 and you can forever say you bathed in the Arabian Sea and rode a camel.</P>

If you can stay longer I recommend one of the full day desert safari trips that cost about $50 USD. Ridiculous price for something so amazing.</P>

Of course a visit to the Burj Al Arab, one of the three Palms and if possible The World are things to do. </P>

The US dollar (and thus the Pound/Euro moreso) is strong there compared to the Dirham and so you can do a lot more than you'd think with your money there... at least for now. In a few years who knows.</P>

Go for the cultural experience (the gold, clothing, spice souks), the architecture, the unique things there... not for clothes. You'll not find anything you want.</P>

Have Fun!</P>

lowrey
04-12-2007, 08:53 AM
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

very good advice, agreed on all counts ;)</P>

Chinorlz
04-13-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm actually at the Dubai International Airport right now and I'll confirm with you....</P>

the only Dior items you can get are sunglasses. If you want Hermes, (limited) Gucci, Ferrari etc. brands then it's easy to get here. Anything else is essentially not possible.</P>

Know what you should buy here? Saffron. Shit is dirt cheap and is sold by the KILO!</P>

Acid, Bitter and Sad
04-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations!!<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>

Faust
04-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Dubai will never look the same (http://www.ameinfo.com/117272.html)

goethe
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
IF Boutique has a branch in Dubai! try going there for ann, comme and undercover
</p>

</p>

i hope this hasn't already been posted so im not repeating anyone!
</p>

Faust
04-23-2007, 08:38 PM
IF Boutique has a branch in Dubai! try going there for ann, comme and undercover
</p>

</p>

i hope this hasn't already been posted so im not repeating anyone!
</p>

</p>

Post right above yours :-). It is interesting that I only found out about it today by chance!</p>

ionn26
04-23-2007, 11:17 PM
Actually there is Harvey Nichols in Dubai which is UK department store.. that has lots of interesting brand, definitely worthwhile visit.. I was there and I saw Neil Barrett very nice collection</p>

There is another department store called Saks Fifth Avenue which is a US department store, they do carry Dior Homme... and when they go on sale it has damn good deals.. but I have passed the Dior Homme phase now.. they also carry Kris Van Assche, Galliano(LOTS OF UNDIES,[:D]) and D&amp;G and many other ones</p>

Dubai's shopping experience has been pretty disappointing for me.. especially if you are looking for those 'alternative luxury' brands. Dubai is very Euro-trash.. and also the prices are high so totally not worth it.. even though they do promote it as Tax-free. </p>

I also visited the Bottega Veneta store.. pretty slim picking and bad selection.. I guess you have lots of rich people there and by the time I was there, it was mostly 'sold out' so to speak.</p>

I would say just go to Dubai for the experience of been in middle east. It truly is an amazing place. It is one of my fave city and had a really unforgettable experience there, my Arabian fantasy really..SOOOO many nice sports car too. </p>

*sigh.. how I wish to be 'filty' rich hehehehe</p>

</p>

Chinorlz
04-24-2007, 05:05 AM
The IF in Dubai article is very interesting! I didn't know that IF was middle eastern owned and that the SoHo store is just a branch!</P>

Too bad the Dubai IF only carries womenswear (as inferred from the article)!</P>

Ionn is right about the prices at Dubai. Tax free... sure.... but it's still not cheap. It's all very eurotrashy/mainstream designers. No place for anyone who likes the stylings of Atelier et al.</P>

I found the Harvey Nicks to be very meh. Granted the buy at the Dubai branch is similar to the London one.... it's still meh hahaha</P>

They need to do something about the presentation as well. They had a WALL of Balenciaga motorcycle bags and most were still flattened from the packing and shipping. A dozen were just sort of scattered on a low countertop with a dozen more haphazarly hanging on the wall above them. For a $1000+ bag, you'd think they'd want to make it look a bit more "precious".</P>

goethe
04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
chinorlz... IF is owned by two Lebanese sisters. there is also a branch in Beirut which is older than the soho location!

mikko
11-30-2014, 12:44 PM
So any recent recommendations? Going to be there for a week in January.

gregor
12-05-2014, 01:57 PM
if and boutique 1 (any location, i suppose) are okay

not sure of anything else, save for the obvious, gauche, branded boutiques that cater to those who love to flaunt wealth

i have such a strong distaste for dubai in almost every way that i try not to go back there

mikko
12-05-2014, 02:50 PM
if and boutique 1 (any location, i suppose) are okay

not sure of anything else, save for the obvious, gauche, branded boutiques that cater to those who love to flaunt wealth

i have such a strong distaste for dubai in almost every way that i try not to go back there

Does IF carry menswear? Kind of unclear based on their Facebook page...