X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acid, Bitter and Sad
    • Mar 2007

Shopping in Dubai

Might be making a trip to Dubai for work.

Any recommendations for shopping?

Interested in:

- Dior Homme
    - Undercover
    - Number (N)ine
    - Comme des garcons
    - Lad Musician
    - Julius
    - Rick Owens
    - Ann D....

Thanks!
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Re: Shopping in Dubai

[quote user="Charged"]Might be making a trip to Dubai for work.

Any recommendations for shopping?

Interested in:

- Dior Homme
    - Undercover
    - Number (N)ine
    - Comme des garcons
    - Lad Musician
    - Julius
    - Rick Owens
    - Ann D....

Thanks!
    [/quote]

I read an article recently about the rising luxury market in Dubai, but I have a feeling that it's not this sort of luxury, and you're most likely out of luck, I'm afraid. At the very least, I can almost guarantee you that there will be no Julius or Lad Musician (not sold out of Japan, I don't believe), and probably not any Demeulemeester. Dior Homme maybe, just since they mentioned Dior in the article, but again, I'm guessing this is more the monogrammed-bags sort of luxury market that's developing / developed.

Sorry that I wasn't much help, but I wouldn't except much out of Dubai's dark / japanese niche shopping.
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

I have to agree with Servo here, though it has been many years since I was there (about 5 years ago). there are many big malls but what you'll find mostly is womens fashion and for men, its unfortunatelypretty much d&g, armani and stuff like that.

my suggestion is to focus on seeing the place itself, which is veryweird and interesting :)

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

I was there friday before last and will be there again this thursday briefly. What everyone said on here is correct... mostly mainstrean/eurotrash labels available.

Dubai caters to the middle-aged/borderline retired group. Very few younger people or kids go without their parents.

That being said... forget shopping there. Go to the Emirates mall and go skiing indoors at Ski Dubai. For about $37 USD you cannot go wrong there. You won't regret it. Also go to the beach. A camel ride is about US $18 and you can forever say you bathed in the Arabian Sea and rode a camel.

If you can stay longer I recommend one of the full day desert safari trips that cost about $50 USD. Ridiculous price for something so amazing.

Of course a visit to the Burj Al Arab, one of the three Palms and if possible The World are things to do.

The US dollar (and thus the Pound/Euro moreso) is strong there compared to the Dirham and so you can do a lot more than you'd think with your money there... at least for now. In a few years who knows.

Go for the cultural experience (the gold, clothing, spice souks), the architecture, the unique things there... not for clothes. You'll not find anything you want.

Have Fun!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

very good advice, agreed on all counts ;)

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

I'm actually at the Dubai International Airport right now and I'll confirm with you....

the only Dior items you can get are sunglasses. If you want Hermes, (limited) Gucci, Ferrari etc. brands then it's easy to get here. Anything else is essentially not possible.

Know what you should buy here? Saffron. Shit is dirt cheap and is sold by the KILO!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
              • Mar 2007

Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations!!

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Dubai will never look the same
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• goethe
                  • Oct 2006

IF Boutique has a branch in Dubai! try going there for ann, comme and undercover

i hope this hasn't already been posted so im not repeating anyone!

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="goethe"]

IF Boutique has a branch in Dubai! try going there for ann, comme and undercover

i hope this hasn't already been posted so im not repeating anyone!

[/quote]

Post right above yours :-). It is interesting that I only found out about it today by chance!

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ionn26
                      • Feb 2007

Actually there is Harvey Nichols in Dubai which is UK department store.. that has lots of interesting brand, definitely worthwhile visit.. I was there and I saw Neil Barrett very nice collection

There is another department store called Saks Fifth Avenue which is a US department store, they do carry Dior Homme... and when they go on sale it has damn good deals.. but I have passed the Dior Homme phase now.. they also carry Kris Van Assche, Galliano(LOTS OF UNDIES,[:D]) and D&G and many other ones

Dubai's shopping experience has been pretty disappointing for me.. especially if you are looking for those 'alternative luxury' brands. Dubai is very Euro-trash.. and also the prices are high so totally not worth it.. even though they do promote it as Tax-free.

I also visited the Bottega Veneta store.. pretty slim picking and bad selection.. I guess you have lots of rich people there and by the time I was there, it was mostly 'sold out' so to speak.

I would say just go to Dubai for the experience of been in middle east. It truly is an amazing place. It is one of my fave city and had a really unforgettable experience there, my Arabian fantasy really..SOOOO many nice sports car too.

*sigh.. how I wish to be 'filty' rich hehehehe

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

The IF in Dubai article is very interesting! I didn't know that IF was middle eastern owned and that the SoHo store is just a branch!

Too bad the Dubai IF only carries womenswear (as inferred from the article)!

Ionn is right about the prices at Dubai. Tax free... sure.... but it's still not cheap. It's all very eurotrashy/mainstream designers. No place for anyone who likes the stylings of Atelier et al.

I found the Harvey Nicks to be very meh. Granted the buy at the Dubai branch is similar to the London one.... it's still meh hahaha

They need to do something about the presentation as well. They had a WALL of Balenciaga motorcycle bags and most were still flattened from the packing and shipping. A dozen were just sort of scattered on a low countertop with a dozen more haphazarly hanging on the wall above them. For a $1000+ bag, you'd think they'd want to make it look a bit more "precious".

Comment

• goethe
                          • Oct 2006

chinorlz... IF is owned by two Lebanese sisters. there is also a branch in Beirut which is older than the soho location!

Comment

• mikko
                            • Apr 2013

So any recent recommendations? Going to be there for a week in January.

Comment

• gregor
                              • Oct 2014

if and boutique 1 (any location, i suppose) are okay

not sure of anything else, save for the obvious, gauche, branded boutiques that cater to those who love to flaunt wealth

i have such a strong distaste for dubai in almost every way that i try not to go back there

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎