X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Mens and Womens Perception of Style

FAUST COMMENT: We split off this thread in order to start a discussion on how women and men perceive style and how they view the opposite sex in terms of it (whether in a relationship or in general.) Fire away!

Laika,

please dont post anymore here, i am getting very teary-eyed and lonely right now.

i want to have dinner or an evening hand in hand stroll with a girl who wears this.............

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Veronique Branquinho Womens FW07/08 - Paris

LOL, ok, sorry. [;)]

You guys--Cas, Servo, 7th, zam-- are all so cute with your, "i need to meet a woman who dresses like this".....as if these women don't exist!

But I know what you mean zam, it's very inviting and warm; simultaneously beautiful and comfortable. I think I'm starting to get why Seventh liked this so much. It gives me the sensation of coming home, if that makes any sense (gets a little teary).....

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Mens and Womens Perception of Style

[quote user="laika"]

LOL, ok, sorry. [;)]

You guys--Cas, Servo, 7th, zam-- are all so cute with your, "i need to meet a woman who dresses like this".....as if these women don't exist!

But I know what you mean zam, it's very inviting and warm; simultaneously beautiful and comfortable. I think I'm starting to get why Seventh liked this so much. It gives me the sensation of coming home, if that makes any sense (gets a little teary).....

[/quote]

I only say that because I live in LA....I don't see too many well dressed women too often, but there are those exceptions. Or better yet, I don't see too many women who take pride in the clothing they wear, most girls just want to be 'cute'. :)
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

Re: Mens/Womens1

[quote user="laika"]

LOL, ok, sorry. [;)]

[/quote]

Laika, i rarely come into contact with this kind of woman, there is a cerain beautiful conservatism to these closing that i personally find very alluring.

and i dont meet (maybe i need to change my social circles?) this kind of woman.

i went out on a date with a girl on sunday, that was so horribly dressed we had a huge fight about it, it was pure decency why i didnt go home immediately when i saw her, there is nothing i like more than the company of a well dressed, intelligent sophisticaed woman!!!!!

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Cas, I completely understand...I was in L.A. last summer, and it was very much what you describe. My impression was that most of the women are more interested in fitness and grooming than fashion. The number of beautifully dressed women here varies, based on neighborhood; but where I live [West Chelsea] they are practically roaming the streets all the time.

Anyway, I meant it as an observation, not a criticism, and I certainly hope I haven't made anyone self-conscious! It's just interesting to me, because I've seldom heard a woman say, "i wish I knew more [men] who dressed like this," whereas I often hear men say this of women.

Of course, I also know very few women who follow menswear the way some of you guys follow womenswear....and I suppose that's interesting too.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

zam, that's crazy! But I can understand--it's amazing how important clothes are, isn't it? I am also very turned off by vulgar sexiness. Kind of snobby, I suppose, but I can't help it. I don't blame you for wanting to go home.

I can just imagine the fight, lol.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

Re: Mens/Womens2

[quote user="laika"]

LOL, ok, sorry. [;)]

[/quote]

I used to say that, too. The funny one was when JoJo at A said that he would switch his sexual orientation if he met a woman who dresses like Ann D.s catwalk models.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

Re: Mens/Womens3

No offense taken at all Laika. [:)] I still have no problem dating women here but I kind of have to scew my point of view somewhat...lol
                I will be making a few trips out to NY by years end to look for a place and a j-o-b. So I'll have to come by the West Chelsea area for all those women you speak of... [;)]
                When I was there last year these was definitely an abundance of lovely women in the Soho, East Village, etc. areas.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Re: Mens/Womens4

[quote user="laika"]

Cas, I completely understand...I was in L.A. last summer, and it was very much what you describe. My impression was that most of the women are more interested in fitness and grooming than fashion. The number of beautifully dressed women here varies, based on neighborhood; but where I live [West Chelsea] they are practically roaming the streets all the time.

Anyway, I meant it as an observation, not a criticism, and I certainly hope I haven't made anyone self-conscious! It's just interesting to me, because I've seldom heard a woman say, "i wish I knew more [men] who dressed like this," whereas I often hear men say this of women.

Of course, I also know very few women who follow menswear the way some of you guys follow womenswear....and I suppose that's interesting too.

[/quote]

That's cause women gave up on men :-). Or more realistically, most of the times women dress the men, so they don't have to wish - they just dress up their men like dolls (those who care about that kind of thing).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

That's cause women gave up on men :-). Or more realistically, most of the times women dress the men, so they don't have to wish - they just dress up their men like dolls (those who care about that kind of thing).

[/quote]

Haha, you know what's so funny about that Faust is I used to dress my ex girlfriend! I also help my sister out quite a bit with fashion.

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

Re: Mens/Womens5

[quote user="Casius"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha, you know what's so funny about that Faust is I used to dress my ex girlfriend! I also help my sister out quite a bit with fashion.

[/quote]

This has never worked out for me. But that is interesting, to me. I think Faust's view may be part of it, but it seems to me that while women have classically been associated with "Fashion" it's been more in the context of a different set of accomplishments: looking good, being up-to-date on "Fashion," etc... as opposed to being interested in fashion itself as an idea (trying to avoid stereotype, but culturally among those I know it's very much this way). As fast-fashion has become more prevalent, price points have gotten higher on "high fashion" and people just care less in general about how the look, there's been a drifting away of both sexes, it seems, such that it's more dependent on someone's personality and interests than their gender which introduces them to fashion in the "stylezeitgeist context."

Could be completely wrong.

On a side note, if you think L.A. is bad, try living in San Diego. Then again, at 17 (and not a particularly notable 17 year-old at that), perhaps I'm setting my sights a little high...

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Re: Mens/Womens6

[quote user="laika"]

zam, that's crazy! But I can understand--it's amazing how important clothes are, isn't it? I am also very turned off by vulgar sexiness. Kind of snobby, I suppose, but I can't help it. I don't blame you for wanting to go home.

I can just imagine the fight, lol.

[/quote]

Yes they are extremely important, at least to me. that's why i dont understand how people can just regard them as a piece of fabric or whatever,

if you look at how archeologist and others study ancient civilizations and cultures, the clothing plays a big role in understanding these (or any) other society

the fight was not nice. She almost came to tears, i felt bad in the end, but this is something i spoke to her about before, i went as far as taking her shopping, and the stuff that fits well and accentuate her positive features, are not the stuff she wanted to wear, so thats what kinda got me irate.

this is why i believe in building up a consistent wardrole with most things coordinating in terms of colour, fit, quality, aesthetic etc.

i can be in a hurry, pull whatever from my closet and still be decently put together. and with places like H&M (even though i dont shop there) Zara, Uniqlo, Daffys, Century etc, i refuse to think that those who really want to dress well have an excuse!

Comment

• laika
                          • Sep 2006

Sounds like a tricky situation, zam. Some people simply don't know
                          what they're doing--don't know what flatters them or how to put things
                          together-- and you can hardly blame them for that. On the other hand,
                          if someone has a developed style that just clashes with yours, maybe
                          she is not the one for you? I think it's pretty impossible to change
                          how someone dresses at the dating stage--any man or woman with a strong
                          personality would be very resistant, I suspect. But once you're in a
                          relationship, your style tends to change organically along with your
                          partner's, assuming you already have some shared aesthetics.

Not much comfort I know....the dating scene in the city is very inhospitable, from what I have observed. [:S]

Comment

• laika
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Casius"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="laika"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

This has never worked out for me. But that is interesting, to me. I think Faust's view may be part of it, but it seems to me that while women have classically been associated with "Fashion" it's been more in the context of a different set of accomplishments: looking good, being up-to-date on "Fashion," etc... as opposed to being interested in fashion itself as an idea (trying to avoid stereotype, but culturally among those I know it's very much this way). As fast-fashion has become more prevalent, price points have gotten higher on "high fashion" and people just care less in general about how the look, there's been a drifting away of both sexes, it seems, such that it's more dependent on someone's personality and interests than their gender which introduces them to fashion in the "stylezeitgeist context."

Could be completely wrong.

On a side note, if you think L.A. is bad, try living in San Diego. Then again, at 17 (and not a particularly notable 17 year-old at that), perhaps I'm setting my sights a little high...

[/quote]

Faust, could we move this post to a new thread? I'm really interested in what you and Servo are saying, but I don't want to take away from Frau Branquinho....

Comment

• Servo2000
                              • Oct 2006

Do you think there's any truth in mine / Faust's comments? It seems to me undeniable that the context of fashion has changed in many ways in modern times, is this one of them? I'd be interested in your views as our resident female poster before I continue with the semi-baseless observations.
                              WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎