X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Mark Flood - Lace Paintings

I really like these--they have an archaeological sensibility that I find really appealing. Unfortunately, I know almost nothing about the artist, not even the technique he uses to create them. [*-)]</p>

1) Beggar 2) Bullet holes
    </p>

</p>

3)Cold wave 4)Magnet </p>

</p>

5) Rill 6) Soul with flesh wound
    </p>

</p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Mark Flood - Lace Paintings

7) Turf 8) Heliotrope
    </p>

</p>

9) Illumination 10) Shipwreck
    </p>

</p>

11) Unavailable Light 12) Winter Games
    </p>

</p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

I think Chalayan would TOTALLY dig this.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
        • Apr 2007

I find them very beautiful. Nobody knows more?

Comment

• deuxmille
          • Nov 2006

Those are really nice indeed.

Comment

• Servo2000
            • Oct 2006

Fascinating, so I take it these are paintings of lace and not just lace on canvas, yes?
            WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Seventh
              • Dec 2006

Mark Flood's website.</p>

At first I thought the paintings were made by dipping or painting lace &amp; fabric in color acrylic and draping it on a canvas (maybe running it through a press?) and pulling it off to reveal the "print". (Basically lace on canvas, just a little more tricky). Now looking at it closer I really wouldn't be surprised that if it just was actual lace glued on the canvas with some dabs of color. That or some type of photo emulsion transfer or silkscreen.
              Maybe I am wrong, but judging from his previous work, and how many he did in a year, I am very much doubting that he painted it painstakingly by hand...

I have to say I'm unimpressed, the work is decorative i suppose, but very empty. I much prefer Chalayan.</p>

Sorry to sound grumpy, it was nice of you to post Laika.
              </p>

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

LOL, oh dear, "decorative"--the worst kind of mud we can sling at an artist, right? [;)]</p>

It's precisely the decorativeness that interests me, actually; he's working with lace, after all, which is one of the most purely ornamental things I can imagine. I do agree, it would be more interesting if he painted the lace by hand, especially since the time required would parallel that needed to make lace (not the machine-produced kind, obviously).
                </p>

However I think your first instinct about his technique was actually right. I just found this in a review:</p>

<font face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Flood's process has
                been evolving over the last three years, the lace first appearing as a background
                element and gradually becoming the dominant motif. The surprise is that there
                are no collaged elements. It's just paint. The lace is long gone. The paintings
                are created by tearing, shredding, or otherwise torturing the lace, soaking it
                in paint, and carefully arranging it across the canvas: a fold here, a scrunch
                there, a few loose threads holding the tattered remains together. Most are dominated
                by two colors intentionally chosen by Flood from daily life and nature instead
                of a Pantone or Liquitex color chart. Here and there other colors are introduced,
                sometimes to accentuate the color contrast and other times as a seemingly deliberate
                attempt to blemish an otherwise too perfect painting ? a wine stain on The
                Cygnets
                , some sunspots on Field of Flowers. The moment of truth comes
                when Flood peals away the lace, a process he compares to peeling away the gooey
                pull-tab of old Polaroids. And like an impromptu Polaroid, the secret ingredient
                is chance: sometimes you capture that magic moment and sometimes you've just taken
                a picture of someone with their eyes closed and their mouth full of food. Fortunately,
                Flood is a good editor: there are few if any also-rans in the bunch.</font>

</p>

Comment

• Seventh
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]

LOL, oh dear, "decorative"--the worst kind of mud we can sling at an artist, right? [;)]</p>

It's precisely the decorativeness that interests me, actually; he's working with lace, after all, which is one of the most purely ornamental things I can imagine. I do agree, it would be more interesting if he painted the lace by hand, especially since the time required would parallel that needed to make lace (not the machine-produced kind, obviously).
                  </p>

However I think your first instinct about his technique was actually right. I just found this in a review:</p>[/quote]

[:)] well when I wrote "decorative", at the time I think I was trying to be positive about it (vs. the emptyness of the action). But your right, it can also be used for mud slinging purposes and perhaps unconsciously (or a little consciously) I was being kinda snotty. [:$]

I think you are right-on about if he really laborously painted the lace by hand it would beautifully mirror the time it took to make handmade lace. I also think the paintings would then have a different quality, something that would be really amazing. Because the act of really painting it, of really looking and spending the time with an object, would give the result so much more intimacy--there is something really beautiful about taking the time to really look and understand something deeply.

But instead the lace just becomes a reference, and sorta a throw-away reference at that (print and then dispose), to a simple process that creates "kewl" looking results, and is titled in such a way to imply much more than what is actually there. Much of painting is like that these days--stuck in the Warholian mode--only even less honest than Warhol, because these new works claim to have depth while Warhol was at least honest about the surface quality of his work.

I'll stop before I sound too much like a cranky old man...

On the bright side you could make yourself some of these paintings at home in a couple hours!

Comment

• laika
                    • Sep 2006

Very eloquently put, especially the second paragraph. That's exactly what I was thinking! [:O] </p>

I noticed that he has been making these paintings for the last 5 years pretty exclusively, so my guess is that they are doing very well commercially--they sell for 5000-10000. I was actually thinking I would like to make something like this to fill a big empty space next to a tv (don't want to hang anything too contemplative there, as the tv would interfere with it). Any suggestions on how to go about it? Or perhaps I should try doing it by hand? </p>

I was also wondering if you saw the Drawing Now exhibit a few years ago at MoMA, because I remember seeing a lot of painstaking and laborious work there--for example, Shazia Sikander's-- and wondering if it might indicate a return to slow processes of production.
                    </p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"][quote user="laika"]

</p>

However I think your first instinct about his technique was actually right. I just found this in a review:</p>

[/quote]

[:)] well when I wrote "decorative", at the time I think I was trying to be positive about it (vs. the emptyness of the action). But your right, it can also be used for mud slinging purposes and perhaps unconsciously (or a little consciously) I was being kinda snotty. [:$]

I think you are right-on about if he really laborously painted the lace by hand it would beautifully mirror the time it took to make handmade lace. I also think the paintings would then have a different quality, something that would be really amazing. Because the act of really painting it, of really looking and spending the time with an object, would give the result so much more intimacy--there is something really beautiful about taking the time to really look and understand something deeply.

But instead the lace just becomes a reference, and sorta a throw-away reference at that (print and then dispose), to a simple process that creates "kewl" looking results, and is titled in such a way to imply much more than what is actually there. Much of painting is like that these days--stuck in the Warholian mode--only even less honest than Warhol, because these new works claim to have depth while Warhol was at least honest about the surface quality of his work.

I'll stop before I sound too much like a cranky old man...

On the bright side you could make yourself some of these paintings at home in a couple hours!
                      [/quote]</p>

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!</p>
                      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                        • Dec 2006

thanks faust (now if we could only get you to stop reading Robert Hughes--it'll rot your brain, i tell ya!) [;)]

laika, it is definitely possible to make something like that. To copy what he is doing is shockingly easy (it makes me sad to think of how much money he is making with so little investment of time), but if you are up for a little challenge, you could make probably make something along the same line only much better (plus you have the satisfaction of knowing the artist [;)]). If you are good with a brush, you could paint it from life, or draw it with a nice graphite or colored pencil. You could try hand cutting a stencil (which would let you get a flat tone of color). Or if your really crazy you could play with silverpoint (making the drawing with silver) so that the image darkens and tarnishes over time (hmmm, I actually might try playing with that...) PM me if you want specific directions or techniques, I would be happy to help.

Yes, the Drawing Now show was really quite good (in addition to seeing it, I bought the book). I think Paul Noble's drawings of invented cities are pretty great (I heard that it takes years for him to make the large drawings--not that this alone makes it good, but the level of detail and the strangeness of the world that he able to create is fascinating to me). In that show, I also really liked Russell Crotty, Kai Althoff, David Thorpe, &amp; Toba Khedoori. Neo Rauch, Laura Owens and Elizabeth Peyton are great as well, but I prefer their paintings. Laura Hoptman, who curated the show, went on to curate the Carnegie International (which was also quite impressive in drawing and painting--the Neo Rauch paintings were stunning).

I hope traditional techniques and craft can return and be fully accepted into artmaking--I don't think it will ever be more than a small niche, but it would be nice to see it taken seriously again in the art world.

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]

thanks faust (now if we could only get you to stop reading Robert Hughes--it'll rot your brain, i tell ya!) [;)]

laika, it is definitely possible to make something like that. To copy what he is doing is shockingly easy (it makes me sad to think of how much money he is making with so little investment of time), but if you are up for a little challenge, you could make probably make something along the same line only much better (plus you have the satisfaction of knowing the artist [;)]). If you are good with a brush, you could paint it from life, or draw it with a nice graphite or colored pencil. You could try hand cutting a stencil (which would let you get a flat tone of color). Or if your really crazy you could play with silverpoint (making the drawing with silver) so that the image darkens and tarnishes over time (hmmm, I actually might try playing with that...) PM me if you want specific directions or techniques, I would be happy to help.

Yes, the Drawing Now show was really quite good (in addition to seeing it, I bought the book). I think Paul Noble's drawings of invented cities are pretty great (I heard that it takes years for him to make the large drawings--not that this alone makes it good, but the level of detail and the strangeness of the world that he able to create is fascinating to me). In that show, I also really liked Russell Crotty, Kai Althoff, David Thorpe, &amp; Toba Khedoori. Neo Rauch, Laura Owens and Elizabeth Peyton are great as well, but I prefer their paintings. Laura Hoptman, who curated the show, went on to curate the Carnegie International (which was also quite impressive in drawing and painting--the Neo Rauch paintings were stunning).

I hope traditional techniques and craft can return and be fully accepted into artmaking--I don't think it will ever be more than a small niche, but it would be nice to see it taken seriously again in the art world.

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Well, he says the same thing as you do, so [;)]</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                            • Apr 2007

I got dissapointed when I realized how little work he put into making these, however I realized that:</p>

</p>

I did nearly the same thing last year, but I painted the fabrics. I
                            scanned cloth with my scanner, saved the high-res pictures, and printed
                            them on transparent paper (I do not know the english term for it). Then
                            I used a "overhead projector" to project them onto the canvas, and I
                            painted the detailed fiber-patterns. I actually achieved some quite
                            beautiful effects. The images were small, mostly 40 x 40 cm, but I
                            loved (and still does) working with shadow and cloth and the way they
                            intertwene.</p>

we shouldn't be forgetting that the amount of time put into a piece of
                            work reflects the quality. I know you guys mentioned this also, but if
                            these are beautiful in person, I wouldn't mind buying one (I don't have
                            anywhere near the cash needed, but I hope my point is clear to you).
                            Just remember artists like Mondrian, Malevich and (my personal
                            favorite) Jorn didn't use necessarily much time to create some of their
                            key works. Of course the amount of thinking that went into the works
                            were ... I'm gonna stop here and just agree with you. He isn't much of
                            a great artist, and really, his works I would rather consider a craft
                            than art. </p>

I'm sorry if this doesn't make too much sense. I will gladly try to explain parts you don't understand.

</p>

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Seventh"]

</p>

[/quote]</p>

Well, he says the same thing as you do, so [;)]</p>

[/quote]</p>

sorry for the late response. </p>

Where is this Robert Hughes exchange that you two had? [*-)]</p>

Seventh, thank you so much for the suggestions! I will definitely ask you more via pm, as it has been a long time since I attempted any plastic creation. The silverpoint idea is very intriguing....</p>

I agree with many of your favorites from the exhibit. I especially remember David Thorpe and Toba Khedoori, and Paul Noble is pretty unforgettable as well. I was thinking it would be cool to have a thread for artists, because despite the fact that I live smack in the middle of the gallery district, I can never seem to keep up. I would love to hear about more of your favorites and inspirations.</p>

skecr8r, any chance we could see how your work turned out? Sounds interesting!
                              </p>

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎