X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nairb49
    • Dec 2006

Hedi signs with PPR....

Just saw this on thefashionspot, thought I'd share it over here too.

Apparently he signed on with the umbrella company of Gucci, and is in talks to develop his own label.

From La Quinta srl, translated via google translate:

Hedi Slimane returns in track. According to how much she turns out to
    MFF, the French designer has yesterday signed a preliminary contract
    with the group Ppr- Gucci for the creation of its maison. To little
    weeks from the breach choc with the Dior group, matured just as a
    result of the decision launch its personal brand, the designer would
    have found its partner. Pinault would head in fact to create the brand
    Hedi Slimane, replying how much fact with Stella Mccartney. According
    to some esteem of analysts, in the first year of life the griffe it
    could generate approximately 10 million euro turnover. An announcement
    in merit is attended to short.

Edit:
    Here is the original italian if someone cares to have a go and give us a translation.
    Hedi Slimane torna in
    pista. Secondo quanto risulta a MFF, lo stilista francese ha firmato
    ieri un contratto preliminare con il gruppo Ppr- Gucci per la creazione
    della sua maison. A poche settimane dalla rottura choc con il gruppo
    Dior, maturata proprio in seguito alla decisione di lanciare il suo
    marchio personale, lo stilista avrebbe trovato il suo partner. Pinault
    punterebbe infatti a creare il marchio Hedi Slimane, replicando quanto
    fatto con Stella Mccartney. Secondo alcune stime di analisti, nel primo
    anno di vita la griffe potrebbe generare circa 10 milioni di euro di
    fatturato. Un annuncio in merito è atteso a breve.

• zamb
    • Nov 2006

Re: Hedi signs with PPR....

I am not surprised by this at all, Actually i saw it coming, albeit nit necessarily with the Gucci group. He was/is too good a designer to be in Fashion Limbo for long.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="zamb"]I am not surprised by this at all, Actually i saw it coming, albeit nit necessarily with the Gucci group. He was/is too good a designer to be in Fashion Limbo for long.
      [/quote]

...and a brand name.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rach2jlc
        • Sep 2006

Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if he'll be forced to do like Stella and Lee and have a "Puma for Hedi Slimane" collection, or a "Hedi Jeans by Hedi Slimane" line produced for the "bridge" market in order to break even before PPR cuts him loose. Perhaps that might work for Lee or Stella (I don't think so, really... those McQueen Pumas are just hideous), but we'll see how it goes for Hedi.

Anyway, I'm all for it if it can get back to the tailoring and style of the early Dior seasons, but perhaps only with a little more functional sizing so that we all don't have to have parts of our hip bones shaved off in order to fit into them. I look forward to seeing what happens with this. As well, 10 million Euros seems do-able, especially because he can probably bet on Lagerfeld personally to buy about amillion euros worth, Elton John and David Furnish to purchase another million... so that leave only eight million more for the Japanese buyers to snap up. ;)

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="rach2jlc"]

Hmmm... interesting. I wonder if he'll be forced to do like Stella and Lee and have a "Puma for Hedi Slimane" collection, or a "Hedi Jeans by Hedi Slimane" line produced for the "bridge" market in order to break even before PPR cuts him loose. Perhaps that might work for Lee or Stella (I don't think so, really... those McQueen Pumas are just hideous), but we'll see how it goes for Hedi.

Anyway, I'm all for it if it can get back to the tailoring and style of the early Dior seasons, but perhaps only with a little more functional sizing so that we all don't have to have parts of our hip bones shaved off in order to fit into them. I look forward to seeing what happens with this. As well, 10 million Euros seems do-able, especially because he can probably bet on Lagerfeld personally to buy about amillion euros worth, Elton John and David Furnish to purchase another million... so that leave only eight million more for the Japanese buyers to snap up. ;)

[/quote]

hahahahaha, absolutely true. it will definitely happen, and it will definitely make money. it will be an easy sell - just look at all the people who wear converse, pinguin, steven alan AND a pair of $500 Dior jeans.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mutterlein
            • Dec 2006

PPR basically stole Dior Homme and LVMH let it happen. They'll regret letting Slimane go...

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="mutterlein"]PPR basically stole Dior Homme and LVMH let it happen. They'll regret letting Slimane go...[/quote]

I'm not so sure, honestly.The brand was making more and more money recently as it became less the ultra-sophisticated, ultra-luxe tailoring of the early seasons and more the "lifestyle brand" with lots of accessories, jeans, tees, and things thatspoiled teenagers could buy up by the dozens. LVMH is there to make money, so pleasing those fifty of us who loved the $1000 embroidered button-front shirts and $400 leather corsagesbecause they were gorgeous probably aren't supporting the bottom line like the 45,000 teens who are buying jeans and $150 tees.

All of that can continue without Hedi, especially with KvA at the helm; he's like Hedi, only without the name recognition and corresponding paycheck/attitude. I think LVMH is just taking a page from the PPR/Tom Ford playbook; let the guy build up the brand then let him go when he it's convenient for the bottom line.

Comment

• nairb49
                • Dec 2006

If Hedi was the reason why Dior never started a diffusion line, with him gone, I'm almost certain they'll pop off a few branches.

Personally, I think they're sitting on an absolute gold mine. Imagine the revenue they'd bring in with various Dior diffusions! Dior Blue/Red/Man/Woman etc etc ad nauseum

Comment

• casem
                  • Sep 2006

I'm glad to hear he's signed with someone already. I figured he would continue in fashion but I thought there might be a few year lull before we heard from him. I guess you gotta keep going while the hype is up since people tend to get forgotten rather quickly in fashion. I'm very interested to see what he comes up with on his own, fingers crossed!
                  music

Comment

• nqth
                    • Sep 2006

I am also glad that he found a backer, even it is PPR. People asked why he could not "start again" like Dries. But Dries did have a financial supporter. She died few years ago.

Anyway I think Hedi is the last designer who is still working with teenagers,both in show and in creating collections. Even Raf said his boys have grown up.

I think that it's nice that teenagers could buy DH and look "true to themself". I don't reallymind the lux acc. Fashion is a tough business.

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
                      • Jan 2007

You put your left foot in, you take your right foot out, in, out, in, out, get a pay rise... oh, the Hedi cokey...
                      the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• mutterlein
                        • Dec 2006

in response to rach2jlc,

I think it's been Slimane's name and his vision who has really sold those jeans, and wallets, and sneakers. When it was announced that Slimane was leaving people raided the denim selection at the New York store. The teenagers I know who would amass a couple of paychecks to buy Dior Denim did so in aspiration of the runway shows they surely could never afford. If anything I think Dior Homme has been on the verge of being passe and certainly now without Slimane it is, perhaps it was wise of Hedi to jump ship.

PPRi estimates revenue of up to 10 million euros in the first year of business for Slimane's own brand. They are counting on a switch of allegience from Dior Homme to the actual man, Slimane, who was behind it. I think it's a safe gamble.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎