Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do magazines look for in writing samples?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jill
    • Apr 2007

What do magazines look for in writing samples?

I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post! I'm curious as to the type of content magazines, particularly fashion magazines, are looking for when they ask for writing samples. Does it have to be published work, or is creative writing and blog posts considered sufficient? Any insight is welcomed. [:D]

Thanks in advance!

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: What do magazines look for in writing samples?

Hi, and welcome. I think it depends on what the magazine is looking for. Obviously something fashion related would be a major plus. It will vary widely depending on the editor, I would think. This is not a professional opinion, btw :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• interman
      • Dec 2006

Re: What do magazines look for in writing samples?

I'm not the best person to answer, but I'll add my two cents as I've reviewed text submissions by writers for various websites that I work for. If I were in your position I'd submit something along the lines of what's in the magazine, in terms of length and style. It wouldn't have to be published (though it certainly doesn't hurt), but basically needs to prove that they can hire you, fit you into their machinery, and have you push out content without them needing to hold your hands too much.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎