X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Vibram soles on boots...

What kind of vibram sole would you have a cobbler install on your boots (I have to do it for a pair of CDiem and CCP + some dressier boots-chelseas) I?m thinking of using a very thin one not to mess with the silhouette. I don?t even add soles on my shoes because I usually like the low profile.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Vibram soles on boots...

Good question Fuuma, I'm in need of the same thing myself. Also, anyone know how much it usually runs?
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Good question Fuuma, I'm in need of the same thing myself. Also, anyone know how much it usually runs?[/quote]

Should run you about $20-25 for a pair installed. It's sturdy plastic, I'd do the thin ones too.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

When I had it done it was about $45 in Boston.

Just go and look at the rubber sheets they have for fitting onto the bottoms of the shoes and just ask for the thinnest. They usually have sheets of it typically for womens shoes (or in NYC they may be used to using thin layers for boots etc.). Shouldn't be much of a problem for them to do and it lasts quite a long time.

I had my pair done about a year ago and only a back corner of the heel is wearing out down to the leather again so I need to have them redone but aside from that point (ie- if my walking posture was better haha) it's still good for many many many wears.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Good question Fuuma, I'm in need of the same thing myself. Also, anyone know how much it usually runs?[/quote]

As Faust pointed out it is relatively inexpensive, I just almost never bother with it and certainly didn't do it for my CCP (leather soles are quite sturdy and boots are worn less than once a week) but since I decided I will keep them for a long time and want to have a stable, smallish wardrobe I think it's time to put them on. My CDiem were bought to be my new go-to boots so the sole is a must.

Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

Thanks guys. Yea, I just need to put a sole on the Guidi and CCP's and then I'll be set.

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

haha damn... $25? And I thought my cobbler in Boston was a nice guy! No more!

I'm taking my boots to this guy down the street from me here in Berlin... I'm always antsy about leaving the boots in someone else's hands haha

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

haha damn... $25? And I thought my cobbler in Boston was a nice guy! No more!

I'm taking my boots to this guy down the street from me here in Berlin... I'm always antsy about leaving the boots in someone else's hands haha

[/quote]

Yea, I have an excellent cobbler around the corner from my work. A hole in the wall but they do a great job. Sometimes you just have to find a good one - there are so many hyped up places that charge an arm and a leg, especially when it comes to alterations and cobbling. I've read about people paying $25 for hemming the pants; my Korean laundry guy does it for $6, and I've never had a problem.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Seventh
                  • Dec 2006

Woohoo!
                  Only $17 for Vibrams here. By a couple old Italian cobblers who are very cool to talk with. Finally, something that is cheaper here than for all you NYC foks! ;)

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

Well thought I would update; I went searching this morning here in Orange County, everything was $40 with the cheapest place being $35 (the dude thought my Guidi boots were dancing shoes, lol).
                    Anyone in LA recommend a cobbler? I called the place Maxfield recommends and they were $40 as well.

Also, do most of you get the heels covered or just leave them as is?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Always put a tab on a heel - that's cheap, like $5.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                        • Dec 2006

Damn, the cheapest I have found so far, just for the front half is $28. Most other places wanted an extra $25 just to do the heel! (EEK!) What in the world is going on? I also got quotes as high as $60 just for the front.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Casius"]Damn, the cheapest I have found so far, just for the front half is $28. Most other places wanted an extra $25 just to do the heel! (EEK!) What in the world is going on? I also got quotes as high as $60 just for the front.[/quote]

That's what you get for living in a big city. Some NYC tailors and cobblers get away with murder.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Cas, I'm sorry to hear that those cobblers are going crazy and charging ridiculous sums.

Is there a Chinatown near you? If you find a cobbler in Chinatown, they're for SURE gonna be loads cheaper than anyone else. Rule of thumb for major cities is, if you need something good to eat, and something bought/done cheap, Chinatown is your best bet.

Best of luck!

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

Well Albert, I just might have to test that theory. I'm guessing to get the best price I would have to find some kind of Mom & Pop type of cobbler but most of the places local to me are chains and after going through the yellow pages, half the numbers were disconnected so it must not be much of a money maker.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎