X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Borre Saethre

A poster on styleforum made me discover this visual artist; pretty interesting so I wanted to share it with you.</p>

</p>

</p>
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Borre Saethre

Thanks for the link, Fuuma. It's always a bit hard to get a feel for installations from pictures--I feel like this kind of art depends very much on actually experiencing the mood and environment that the artist stages.
    </p>

Have you had the chance to see this in person? </p>

Here's a teaser, for those who haven't checked out the link yet:</p>

</p>

</p>

"Børre Sæthre stages environments that approximate the ambiance of dreams, the luxurious containment of cinematic experience.

At once austere and saturated with concealed fantasies, his spaces
    (sculptural and reconstructed environments, light, soundscapes and
    moving images) comprise confessions, secrets, and voyeuristic longings
    that linger within seemingly impermeable interiors.

The value-free economies of spaces such as relaxation lounges or office
    modules are disrupted by unsettling details, shyly rupturing the
    stylized topography of mediated experience."
    </p>
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

No I haven't had the chance toexperience any of his work, hes a recent and unexpected discovery for me.I'll probably do next time I have the chance though, it appears to be quite evocative, a mix between a mythical ritualistic scene and a modern airport lounge.

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

The concept reminds me of the anthropologist Marc Auge's book, non: places, I think it's non-lieux in French? I'm not sure if you know it, but I think it might interest you.</p>

I like the idea of mixing the non-place with the mythical scene, as you put it. Please do update if you get a chance to see the work in person. [51]
        </p>

</p>
        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Fuuma
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

The concept reminds me of the anthropologist Marc Auge's book, non: places, I think it's non-lieux in French? I'm not sure if you know it, but I think it might interest you.</P>

I like the idea of mixing the non-place with the mythical scene, as you put it. Please do update if you get a chance to see the work in person. [51]
          </P>

</P>

[/quote]</P>

The french title of Augé's book is indeed "Non-lieux", it has become a relatively commonly used term in anthropological science. I've never read his book though but the angle you used to present it (through installation art I guess) rekinkled my interest, thanks.</P>

I'll update the thread if/when I get to see the work in person...</P>

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Depending on what the deers are made of, this could be a very disturbing installation [:|]</p>

I agree with Laika though, it definitely needs to be seen live. I think the size is a part of the impact, which the pictures cannot represent.</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

The concept reminds me of the anthropologist Marc Auge's book, non: places, I think it's non-lieux in French? I'm not sure if you know it, but I think it might interest you.</p>

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

The french title of Augé's book is indeed "Non-lieux", it has become a relatively commonly used term in anthropological science. I've never read his book though but the angle you used to present it (through installation art I guess) rekinkled my interest, thanks.</p>

I'll update the thread if/when I get to see the work in person...</p>

[/quote]</p>

LOL, yes, I know. I am an "anthropological scientist" by trade. Are you?
              </p>

I thought you might have a social science background, that's why I brought up the book. [;)]
              </p>

Comment

• Fuuma
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"][quote user="Fuuma"][quote user="laika"]

</p>

</p>

[/quote]</p>

The french title of Augé's book is indeed "Non-lieux", it has become a relatively commonly used term in anthropological science. I've never read his book though but the angle you used to present it (through installation art I guess) rekinkled my interest, thanks.</p>

I'll update the thread if/when I get to see the work in person...</p>

[/quote]</p>

LOL, yes, I know. I am an "anthropological scientist" by trade. Are you?
                </p>

I thought you might have a social science background, that's why I brought up the book. [;)]
                </p>

[/quote]</p>

I am not an anthropologist, although I do find that field fascinating. I thought you were a litterature student but I guess anything can lead to litterature.</p>

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

/\ That's what I wrote in my personal statement when applying for Masters.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎