Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rememberance of things past - what do you miss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Rememberance of things past - what do you miss?

My buying a calculator watch, and reading a recent NYT articles on great products that get discontinued, got me to start this thread in a fashion related manner. I know that some of us are older than others, but fashion changes so quickly that it makes it hard for us to feel nostalgic.

I miss:

Jurgi Persoons - one of the most talented womenswear designers who only lasted a few years. I got to like him exactly how one should - by being floored by his work without knowing a single thing about him. I saw it in Barneys one day, and it just killed me. I couldn't stop staring at it and turning it whichever way, my (female) friend basically had to drag me away from it.

Helmut Lang - obviously. He contributed to fashion immensely, and I loved him not as much for minimalism, but for the fact that whenever he chose his clothes to be sexy, he did in such a raw, visceral, yet tasteful way. I don't think anyone has done it like that since. Most of all I miss his accessories, but also jeans and pants.

Olivier Theyskens own line. Talk about theater of fashion - that was it. I don't think Rochas as a house has offered to do anything as remotely sweeping. I think that maybe it will change with Nina Ricci.

Lieve van Gorp - I think along with Raf Simons she was able to translate a teenager rebellious aesthetic into fashion dead on. And her and Raf did it at the time when it hasn't yet become such a cliche. Come to think of it, it makes me wonder if this is why Raf has stopped doing this type of work.

Cloak before Plokhov got famous. Everything was just right (except quality control :-)). It was like a breath of fresh air for US menswear.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • laika
    • Sep 2006

Re: Rememberance of things past - what do you miss?

This is a sad thread. [:(]

I agree with all of those you mentioned (although I am not sad about Olivier, as I think he will go on to do more, amazing things). Especially miss Jurgi--he is irreplaceable.

I would add

Jil Sander--Her clothes were so quietly poetic, especially in the last few collections. Despite being minimal, they retained so much softness and femininity. I don't think Raf has come remotely close to achieving this--his collections are so clinical by comparison.

Josephus Thimister--Just so damn cool. [H] I miss "cool" in fashion, if that makes any sense.

Hussein Chalayan--I desperately miss his early work. While he continues to design beautiful clothes, with vastly improved quality, I feel like they lack the youthful, conceptual experimentation that was present in his early collections. I was looking at some pieces from last fall at Century, and was shocked to discover that I actually didn't like them.
    ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• justine
      • Jan 2007

The Vivienne Westwood store on Greene Street.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Great thread Faust... fun times reminiscing

I miss:

- being excited about Dior Homme. Luster, Strip, VotC... it was hit after hit and I was dying for pieces while they were on store shelves.... hit after hit with such fun and cool designs.

- The Helmut Lang store in SoHo. Only ever went in once... and I didn't even get a chance to fully appreciate Lang.

- Bagutta and their great sales

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Great thread Faust... fun times reminiscing

I miss:

- being excited about Dior Homme. Luster, Strip, VotC... it was hit after hit and I was dying for pieces while they were on store shelves.... hit after hit with such fun and cool designs.

- The Helmut Lang store in SoHo. Only ever went in once... and I didn't even get a chance to fully appreciate Lang.

- Bagutta and their great sales

[/quote]

Justine and Albert, I miss that whole block. That block is cursed, Vivienne Westwood, Bagutta, Helmut Lang, Plein Sud - all out of business.[:(] I miss Bagutta as well. It was all very glam, but they were always nice items mixed in, and because of the glam clientele, noone would buy them (except me, at 70% off). I got plenty of Ann there for myself and Mrs. Faust. Also got my DH raw denims there for $90.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• boxma
            • Feb 2007

It's something happened before Luster, Strip etc etc. I missed Romeo Gigli in 1990's [:$]

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

the strong dollar
              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]the strong dollar[/quote]

ROFL.

Me too, me too. When I was in Antwerp in 2001, 1EUR was worth 85c. And then another 20% back via VAT refund. Yea, I shopped.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mass
                  • Sep 2006

i miss raf simons collections that didn't look like jil sander collections.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

bump.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• rider
                      eyes of the world
                      • Jun 2009

style with elsa klensch, 1/2 hour every saturday morning and the first time i ever saw a yohji yamamoto collection. oh, the yohji store on grand. still mourn that loss.
                      Last edited by rider; 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

• swami
                        • Jul 2008

circa 1996, That crazy store on Broadway around 6th / 7th street
                        Vintage stuff upstairs & the basement painted white floor to ceiling , The most amazing clothes ... Cant remember the name

Helmut Lang store in Soho
                        Bought my first pair of selvage jeans & the SA warned me not to wash them but dry clean .. I was like wtf / Oh and Ellen Barkin was shopping the store and commented on how nice they looked.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I miss fashion making waves, like Yohji and Rei in 81/82, Antwerp Six in 86/87, generation 2 of Antwerp in the 90s, Dior and Cloak in the 00s.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            I miss fashion making waves, like Yohji and Rei in 81/82, Antwerp Six in 86/87, generation 2 of Antwerp in the 90s, Dior and Cloak in the 00s.
                            I like that taste is getting tribal instead of hierarchical.

I miss Branquinho, Margiela and fluo kids.
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Vanna
                              • May 2008

I miss the feeling that washed over me when my mom bought me my first pair of LA Lights.

I miss that I never got to experience Cloak when the label first started. I feel like I missed out on a movement.

I miss "Behind the Velvet Rope" with Lauren Ezersky.

I miss Lacroix doing Haute Couture.
                              Life is a hiiighway

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎