X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • therapysessions
    • Jul 2007

Men's hat help: NYC

I'm looking into getting a hat this winter. Maybe a fedora or similar type hat. I don't know much about hats at all, I just know my head is rather large (I'm a XL or 7 3/4 according to internet charts) None of the designer hats I liked fit me (kva and dior). Plus, I think I'm better off getting a "classic" brand.

So what are the good hat brands for men? Where should I go to buy one? And what materials should I be looking for? In NYC would be great.

• gusgusterson
    • Mar 2007

Re: Men's hat help: NYC

Paul Smith shops usually have a good selection of more traditional men's hats both from Paul Smith and more well established hat designers. It may be a good starting point see/try on a few styles before you wander into any of the serious old school hat shops. Though that may be just as fun.

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Peep this place....

...boat loads of cool hats.
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Incroyable
        • Mar 2007

The British are known for their milliners such as the traditional James Lock & Co. Also, Italy's Borsalino is famed for their fedoras although general consensus is that their quality has far decreased from their vintage wares.

Quality hats are made out of felt although quality of felt differs from process and the origin of the fur. As well, some "hat-guys" also quibble about the silk ribbon and the quality of them which is not often found in "modern hats". Some hatmakers use vintage materials.

As well, there are numerous smaller niche makers such as Paul's Hatworks and Optimo:

http://www.paulshatworks.com

www.optimohats.com/

Comment

• mesh
          • Dec 2006

Did not know that re: borsalino thanks for the heads up LK.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎