X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kronik
    • May 2007

Brands for the Pleasantly Plump

First, I'd like to say that I don't feel morbidly obese though any extended period of time on these boards, and you empathize with the ostracized fat kid that no one wants to pick for basketball.

That being said, what avant-garde / high fashion brands have sizing that runs either generously or large? I realize some of this changes from season to season. I'll say the minimum "maximum" is 52, though 54 would be nice as well. I'm not sure if this has been raised before. I'm 5'11, 185.

• Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Brands for the Pleasantly Plump

I'd say most of the brands discussed here have sizes up to 54. I know Carpe makes sizes even past 54... although rare, it is not unheard of. Even CCP does 54s.

You'd just be out of luck with some of the Japanese brands such as Julius... aside from that, you're golden!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• kronik
      • May 2007

Ironically, the only two that I knew of were CCP and CD. I asked a member about a CCP belt they recently purchased and they said they'd only seen it go up to 48. Do they make their entire lines in a full size run or no?

The recent Viridi-Anne thread prompted me to post. ;)

Comment

• CHRIS
        Banned
        • Dec 2006

what happened to "heinous and overpriced", eh?

Comment

• kronik
          • May 2007

Let's not make this about me and you, sweetie. ;)

You misjudged my taste - I don't like how YOU wear Ann D, most of the time. I don't dislike every item of clothing by every designer you like. Some of the stuff by each line is... well, heinous. It's all overpriced.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

I won't step into y'alls bidniz [73]

but

as for CCP, he DEFINITELY makes belts up to at least a 54. Definitely above 48. I have one in my closet right now that is a 50 and I've personally tried on 50s at L'Eclaireur and I think Atelier carries 46 to at least 52 on the regular.

Viridi Anne I'm not certain. Rick Owens definitely goes decently large as well.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• CHRIS
              Banned
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="kronik"]You misjudged my taste.[/quote]

honest mistake!

and ann usually runsrather huge.sometimes, i canhardly fit into her XXS', so i assume a large would fit you?

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

CHRIS, enough. Leave your bitching to other forums, I won't tolerate it here.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Kronik,

I think you should just go and try stuff on.

In general, Ann Demeulemeester's clothes are not skinny, unless she means them to be.

Some of stuff by Raf Simons is not skinny, although some is, so pick and choose.

Same goes for Junya Watanabe and Rei Kawakubo, again, depending on the garment (this season's CDG H+ runs tiny, but Junya Watanabe's stuff is true to size).

Of course, there is always Yohji Yamamoto, whose clothes are almost inevitably loose. The Y's line however is cut pretty tight. I think his clothes can be incredibly elegant on the right person, definitely look into it.

Most of Dries van Noten's stuff is not skinny, although pants tend to run smaller in the waist (but not skinny in the leg).

Cloak SS07 stuff is not skinny. Other Cloak's seasons, just do one size up and it should fit well.

Who else am I missing, guys?

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• sbw4224
                    • Sep 2006

Margiela can run true to size and tends to have a fuller cut.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="sbw4224"]Margiela can run true to size and tends to have a fuller cut.
                      [/quote]

Duh! Good and obvious choice, how did I forget? Some stuff does run slim, but that's a rare occasion.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                        • Sep 2006

I'm 50 - 52 (more like the second) and have Cary Williams, CCP, CDiem, Lmaltieri, Margiela, Ceschi Berrini, Cloak, Dior Homme, Raf Simons, Van Noten, Demeulemeester, Drkshdw, Owens, (just to name a few) garments in my closet and never have troubles finding clothing that i like, don`t have stuff from japanese labels though, maybe i'm too big for some of them, but in general i'm very happy with the options that i have.

Hope that helps

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

I wear 52 tops as well as 32 bottoms and have no problems finding what I like. CCP is pretty stable, size wise across the board. RO is a little more finicky, as well as Raf, and a few others. So like Faust said, it is best to try some pieces on, even if they aren't exactly pieces you are looking to buy. Because from what I've found, if a 52 sweater fits from Raf in one style, it will generally fit in another.
                          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• kronik
                            • May 2007

I suppose I queried mostly because I can't try many of these brands on, unless I drive up to NY for a shopping excursion (which will occur, just not today). Perhaps next time I'm in town for a pro-wrestling event, Atelier will be one of my stops. Talk about incongruous hobbies.

Those of you who are not "small," what are your chest measurements? I typically need a shirt that's 43-44". Atelier was very responsive in e-mailing me measurements for some pieces I inquired about; I was going to attempt the same with Lazzari though I'm not sure to what effect that will succeed.

Thanks for all the suggestions, by the way. You've all been most helpful.

Comment

• Casius
                              • Dec 2006

Don't be worried about Lazzari, Matteo over there is extremely helpful and has measured items for me in the past.

I have a 40" chest, but I have really broad shoulders.
                              "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎