• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HWith
    • May 2007

Repairing leather.

Hi all,

My girlfriend has a Mulberry Bayswater bag that she loves very much. Today a full bottle of eye make-up remover broke inside the bag, and the botton of the bag was soaked. I'm not sure what the make-up remover consists of, but I guess plenty of water, alcohol and some oil. Anyway, it doesn't look good. In the Mulberry boutique the SA didn't know anything, so now I'm asking here, as I don't really know where else to go. Any leather experts that know if something can be done?

• ionn26
    • Feb 2007

Re: Repairing leather.

There are several reputable leather cleaners in NYC who will clean the leather jacket or bag for you. Although I have to say they are really expensive. I am not sure if it is worth saving unless it is a sentimental piece. As well the turnaround time is about 1-3 months.

Comment

• HWith
      • May 2007

[quote user="ionn26"]

There are several reputable leather cleaners in NYC who will clean the leather jacket or bag for you. Although I have to say they are really expensive. I am not sure if it is worth saving unless it is a sentimental piece. As well the turnaround time is about 1-3 months.

[/quote]

We live in Copenhagen, Denmark, so NYC is not an option for the time. But I'll see if there's anything like it here in Denmark. How much is 'really expensive', if I might ask? And is it possibly to clean it if the dye has been damaged from the chemicals?

Comment

• laika
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="HWith"][quote user="ionn26"]

[/quote]

We live in Copenhagen, Denmark, so NYC is not an option for the time. But I'll see if there's anything like it here in Denmark. How much is 'really expensive', if I might ask? And is it possibly to clean it if the dye has been damaged from the chemicals?

[/quote]

I don't think so, HWith. Once something has been chemically altered, cleaning isn't really an option. (It's like getting sweat stains on a white shirt.) What color does she have?

Poor girl...that's such a nice bag, too. [70]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• HWith
          • May 2007

Gah, this really sucks. She had been wanting that bag for years, and finally decided to buy it 2 months ago.

Laika: The color is oak, it is gorgeous, and it looks great on her.

Well, maybe the insurance will cover some of it... if we're lucky. *sigh*

Comment

• laika
            • Sep 2006

^Try to find a place that *restores" leather handbags (like vintage ones); or even inquire with a good cobbler/shoe repair shop. I doubt they will be able to eliminate the stain completely, but there are all sort of soaps and conditioners that can improve the condition of the leather.

good luck with it. [51]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• HWith
              • May 2007

[quote user="laika"]

^Try to find a place that *restores" leather handbags (like vintage ones); or even inquire with a good cobbler/shoe repair shop. I doubt they will be able to eliminate the stain completely, but there are all sort of soaps and conditioners that can improve the condition of the leather.

good luck with it. [51]

[/quote]

Thanks a lot :) I'll give an update and some before/after pics, if we find someone who can do something about it.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎