Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

50 Most Stylish Men of the Past 50 Years (GQ article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LanceP
    • Oct 2006

50 Most Stylish Men of the Past 50 Years (GQ article)

What do you guys think of GQ's picks on the fifty most stylish men of the last half century?

http://men.style.com/gq/features/lan...d=content_5907

• LanceP
    • Oct 2006

Re: 50 Most Stylish Men of the Past 50 Years (GQ article)

Hedi is in there. And yes, Yohji should definitely be included. The list is pretty good for the most part.

Comment

• gusgusterson
      • Mar 2007

I wouldn't argue for his inclusion, but I'm surprised that Warhol didn't make the list. He did a lot for Levis and leather jackets and fright wigs.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Re: ~

I can hear Jack Kerouac turning in his grave. Kurt Cobain, too.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
          • Sep 2007

[quote user="Faust"]I can hear Jack Kerouac turning in his grave. Kurt Cobain, too.
          [/quote]

LOL, I'm sure, I don't think either one of those two ever made an overtly conscious effort. It it is probably impossible to have a list everyone would agree on. IMO, I rate it fairly accurate. The only person that I felt was really out of place on the list was Tom Brady. He may have class, but style? I don't pay heavy attention to celebrity media but I'm not sure he's even close to almost anyone else on that list. Warhol or Waits would have easily been more tasteful. Not that I expect much from a popculture rag like GQ.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Karim"][quote user="Faust"]I can hear Jack Kerouac turning in his grave. Kurt Cobain, too.
            [/quote]

LOL, I'm sure, I don't think either one of those two ever made an overtly conscious effort. It it is probably impossible to have a list everyone would agree on. IMO, I rate it fairly accurate. The only person that I felt was really out of place on the list was Tom Brady. He may have class, but style? I don't pay heavy attention to celebrity media but I'm not sure he's even close to almost anyone else on that list. Warhol or Waits would have easily been more tasteful. Not that I expect much from a popculture rag like GQ.

[/quote]

Better Brady than Beckham [74] I have to say, I'm sick of Brady being on each and single GQ cover every year. Change the tune already... Good quatrerback though - thumbs up for that.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• PrinceOfCats
              • Jan 2007

George Best is pretty dubious. Unless beating your wife is a trend taking Shoreditch/Williamsburg by storm without my having heard of it... His football was really the only good thing about the man.
              the extraordinary metamorphosis of one black liquid into another

Comment

• poshpol
                • Aug 2007

i think Jude Law is pretty spiffy most of the time and should of been on there too :P

Comment

• desultory
                  • Aug 2007

Really enjoyed that, what a great compendium. When Mastroianni came up I knew we were in good hands. A few weird surprises but who's to say? There's a little bit of Woody Allen in everyone who wanted to be Bowie, Ferry, Shepherd, the list goes on. Impressed.

Comment

• desultory
                    • Aug 2007

Although now I'm thinking Richard Harris. But check out Brando in a suit - who cares what the suit is, it's the way he wears it...

Comment

• RADO
                      • Nov 2007

Björn Borg? Who hell put him on the list? His own collection was the most awful one I?ve never seen? GQ's stuff...

Comment

• desultory
                        • Aug 2007

But for every Bjorg there's a Belmondo.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

desultory, i like you in a dreamy state.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• loveless
                            • Feb 2007

love the list EXCEPT for George Clooney... i don't think wearing suits should make you automatically stylish. maybe its the grey hair. otherwise its a decent summary

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="loveless"]love the list EXCEPT for George Clooney... i don't think wearing suits should make you automatically stylish. maybe its the grey hair. otherwise its a decent summary
                              [/quote]

i absolutely agree. a suit has forever been the refuge of the non-stylish, because it's so easy to do, uniform-like. except those wall st. grunt type of suits, of course.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎