X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nevermind
    • Sep 2007

Cordovan Leather discussion

not sure if this is the best subforum, but i wanted to have more in depth discussions about the materials and construction methods designers use

lets talk about horse skin!
    many of the boots sported here are made of it, i thought some of the more knowledgeable ones could shed some info and educate the rest of us

random paragraphs and facts i found on google

----
    Genuine shell cordovan is rare. Most leathers come from cows, but cordovan comes from horses (which are not, by the way, raised for this purpose). The ?shell?, and let me put this as delicately as possible, is the subcutaneous layer that covers the equine posterior. Each horse provides two shells, which is just enough for a pair of shoes. A single shell isn?t long enough to form a seamless belt, so genuine shell cordovan belts will always be pieced. The most non-porous leather known, shell cordovan is distinguished by its lustrous waxy finish, superior durability, and suppleness that readily conforms to the shape of the wearer?s foot.

Cordovan is a corruption of Cordoba, the city in southern Spain where the technique of tanning this leather originated. Even today high volume production and fancy technology are powerless in its manufacture. Old school handwork is what gets the job done. The shells are put through a natural, vegetable tanning process, then hand-stained, glazed, and finished over a six-month period that demands the measured pace of craftsmanship and patience.

It?s those things that account for the expensiveness of true shell cordovan leather. Added to which there?s only one tannery which still produces cordovan leather, Horween Leathers in Chicago. Coincidentally, Horween?s other claim to fame is providing the leather for NFL footballs and professional baseball gloves. Genuine shell cordovan is a leather with character. It?s known for taking on a rich patina that improves with wear and polishing. And tough as, well, a horse?s butt.

------
    Advantages of Genuine Shell Cordovan:

The leather should last 10 to 15 years. (Shell cordovan shoes are resoled in exactly the same manner as shoes made of calfskin.)
    The leather does not develop the small wrinkles which often appear in calfskin shoes.
    It develops a beautiful patina with age.
    It usually shines just by brushing.
    Water does not easily penetrate the leather.

-----------------

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Cordovan Leather discussion

Thanks, nevermind. A lot of useful info here. [Y]
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• uparmoured
      • Sep 2007

Two of my favorite HORSE ASS applications:

Alden Chukka Boot

Alden Saddle Shoe

FS: M.A+
      FS: SIZE XS ANN DEMEULEMEESTER WAISTCOAT

Comment

• Incroyable
        • Mar 2007

As I understand it, real cordovan only comes from the Horween Tannery in Chicago, and there may be one in Japan where fine leather is highly valued and appreciated.

There are numerous shoe companies that make shoes in that leather, but only a few really stand out, I think--Alden for one and also Carmina:

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Alden's store setup and their online setup kinda cheapens the shoe for me.... when you're asking $600 a pair and then list the 1,000,000 sizes you have to offer for 40-50 different styles, it calls into question the amount of work required for each shoe along with the quality/attention to detail...

They're not bad looking... just... kinda average that's all. Berluti does some cool styles that push that envelope which I like

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Incroyable
            • Mar 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Alden's store setup and their online setup kinda cheapens the shoe for me.... when you're asking $600 a pair and then list the 1,000,000 sizes you have to offer for 40-50 different styles, it calls into question the amount of work required for each shoe along with the quality/attention to detail...

They're not bad looking... just... kinda average that's all. Berluti does some cool styles that push that envelope which I like

[/quote]

Alden is probably one of those brands that caters more to a traditionalist type who eschews online shopping. In actuality, Alden is still one of the best RTW shoe brands though the styling is not to my taste.

Berluti is rather mediocre in its construction. For a better quality try Corthay:

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎