X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Philip Beesley at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts

Just read about his newest piece, Hylozoic Soil, which will apparenty be at the Montreal Museum of Fine Art until the beginning of December.<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>
    <SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Gill Sans; font-size: 12px;">Hylozoic Soil (2007) is an interactive geotextile mesh that senses human occupants and responds with air movement, produced by peristaltic waves of motion within distributed fields of lightweight pores. Custom-manufactured components use parametric design and digital fabrication. Machine intelligence is embedded within networks of microcontrollers that coordinate arrays of proximity sensors and kinetic ?actuators?. Arrays of capacitance-sensing whiskers and shape-memory alloy actuators are used to create a diffuse peristaltic pumping that pulls air and organic matter through the occupied space.
    </SPAN></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>More specifically, from Wired, the piece will express Hylozoism, the belief that matter has life, through the construction that "trembles, grasps and snaps at people who pass through it." "Hundreds of frondlike fingers made of serrated Mylar, acetate and polycarbonate reach out to greet you, as dense colonies of whiskers wave excitedly overhead. But don't get too close: Needles attached to tiny latex bladders are poised to pierce your skin, and collectors grab hair and clothing."</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Sounds fascinating.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>http://www.philipbeesleyarchitect.com/sculptures/0635hylozoic_soil/hylozoic.html</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Philip Beesley at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts

/\ whoa, this looks dope! technocracy now!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

Haven't seen the expo this work is part of but supposed to go soon, I'll let you guys know what I think
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Fuuma"]Haven't seen the expo this work is part of but supposed to go soon, I'll let you guys know what I think[/quote]</P>

Saw that, pretty cool. I'll try to say something at least remotely intelligent about it later.</P>
        Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
        http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

Working...
        X
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎