X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Made to Measure/Bespoke Clothing

So lately I have been a little more curious about getting some made to measure items instead of spending it on 'off the rack' clothing.

What is everyone's experience with MTM or bespoke? I was planning on maybe trying it out while I'm in NYC. I'd love to get a few shirts and a pant. Does MTM items usually include choosing your own fabric? How are the selections typically? Also, what kind of time frame might one be looking at?

Faust- Any good ones you recommend in NY? I have heard there are typically minimums when getting things made which wouldn't be so bad for shirts but pants might be a tad excessive.
    "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"
  • soultek
    • Feb 2007

Re: Made to Measure/Bespoke Clothing

Hey, I got a bespoke suit made in LA a few years ago. I picked the fabric (British) and it was ordered for me (kinda hard to pick the fabric as I only had a small swatch to go on). It took about 3 weeks. The suit fits great, but is a little traditional for my tastes. At the time I didn't know how to express to him exactly what I wanted. He was an older guy who was schooled in British suit making. I wear it to interviews and formal weddings generally. The cost was 1600$. There was 2 or 3 fittings. The guy did shirts as well for around 300$. The prices included fabric (although premo fabric was more) and lifetime alterations.

I would say, it would help to know exactly what you want (which I would guess you probably do), because otherwise you're subject to the tailor's own opinion of how it should look. He also might not ask you questions about certain things assuming that you might not know what you're talking about, so speak up.

hope this helps.. a little rambly..

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Hey Casius. I am not very knowledgeable about bespoke clothing - the guys at Styleforum have the expertise on that one.

The most obvious choice is to go for one of the Tom Ford's offerings.... kidding [66]

I know that suits typically do take about 3 weeks, shirts much less.

There was an awesome article about getting a bespoke suit in that now-defunct mens magazine whose name now escapes me, but it was one of the best ones out there. There is also this article that Laika posted.

For shirts, this place used to be cool, but not sure of its quality now - it kinda fell of the radar. It's a more contemporary place than the stuffy upper east side offerings.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

I kind of like the idea of bespoke but then I usually end up thinking that while I'd get a perfect fit in some sense, it might be too traditional in terms of cut, style etc.this applies mostly to suits, though

whatmakes me initially prefer off the rack clothing is that I can see a designers work and style in it, attention to details and finishing, plusthe garments are usually more innovative or atleast slightly different than any basic items. and of course the fact that you can get it right away or in a few days if you order something ;)

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

I kind of like the idea of bespoke but then I usually end up thinking that while I'd get a perfect fit in some sense, it might be too traditional in terms of cut, style etc. this applies mostly to suits, though

what makes me initially prefer off the rack clothing is that I can see a designers work and style in it, attention to details and finishing, plus the garments are usually more innovative or atleast slightly different than any basic items. and of course the fact that you can get it right away or in a few days if you order something ;)

[/quote]

Mike, you just about explained the way I think. Which is what kind of provoked me to start this because I am very curious as to how creative one can get with bespoke or MTM.

Faust- Yea, I've done a little research on styleforum but to be honest, most of those guys have a style that is waaaaaay different than myself and probably most people here. Just read the Thom Browne thread for proof..lol.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

I think I might be able to help you Guys here,

but I will post on this Later Tonite, (i'll steal some time while lady-Z is studying [66])

I cant do it now, as i Got a stern Warning from the Bosses, about internet browsing on Company time,...............

I need to go back into business full time.................................

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• sea of stitches
              • Oct 2006

fade to black has mentioned mtm vs. bespoke before...basically saying bespoke was worth the extra $ (i believe he was speaking of suits though...)

here's an savile row bespoke tailor's take on mtm

"2. Made-to-measure.

Not to be confused with "bespoke". What you're getting is the same
              machine-made as Number One, but the basic pattern will have slight
              alterations made at the factory to improve the overall fit. Expect to
              pay anywhere between £450 to £800. You will also get more possibilities
              to personalize the suit, pocket details, style etc.

Bear in mind the guy who measures you may only have been in the job
              for a few weeks, or even a few hours. He?s only running a tape around
              you and ticking style boxes on the order form. So don?t expect miracles.

There are high street chains that offer this service, and even proper tailors as well. A.J. Hewitt,
              an excellent tailor, is a good example. The principals, Tony Hewitt and
              Ravi Tailor (yes, his real name) offer true bespoke that's up there
              with the best. However they also offer made-to-measure. This in no way
              compromises their bespoke suits, they?re just simply allowing their
              customers the option of only climbing halfway up the sartorial ladder.

Ultimately with made-to-measure, your suit is at the mercy of the
              manufacturer. But at least with having an experienced cutter like Tony
              or Ravi to measure you, there?s far less chance of disappointment."

from englishcut.com

also a post on how to pick a bespoke tailor: http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000005.html

i have no personal experience to share, however. sorry.

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

[quote user="zamb"]

I think I might be able to help you Guys here,

but I will post on this Later Tonite, (i'll steal some time while lady-Z is studying [66])

I cant do it now, as i Got a stern Warning from the Bosses, about internet browsing on Company time,...............

I need to go back into business full time.................................

[/quote]

Zamb- To have some custom menswear done by you would truly be something else! Definitely looking forward to what you have to say on the matter though. :)

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎