X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kira
    • Mar 2008

body and clothing in motion

I have been researching movement of the human body. One relevant thing for here is the notion of the movement of the body in clothing, how the body affects the movement of the clothing and how the clothing interacts with the body.</p>

I sat outside at the square today and watched people walk by me for a good amount of time. It surprised me how many people have no essence to their movement. Perhaps that comment is slightly unfair since it is winter and it can be hard to see how one's body is truly moving underneath huge long coats. However, I think that you can still get a sense of their movement. I feel like I watched a million motionless bodies walk by, people that don't appear to be comfortable within their own skin, within their clothing. I am not meaning this to be judgmental but more of a scientific study almost. Occasionally someone would walk by that would just stand right out, leaving some type of resonance with me. Their gait was something perhaps more fluid, something more connected, something unique, illustrating their personality more... </p>

Then I wonder how what they chose to put their body in affected their movement, their being. Did they consider what they were wearing to be constrictive or open and expressive, containing or uplifting? Or did they not think or feel anything at all? Or perhaps they dont know how to be comfortable in their own skin and what get puts on their skin.</p>

The human body has such an intense connection to touch and sound, sensation. I want to explore this further.</p>

This is where my limited experience with the fashion community comes into play. In one aspect a designer's work is sometimes shown down a runway, with underlying music/sound to enhance the visual experience, add to the expression of the work, or is directly connected to the work. We see how the clothing moves with the body in this particular manner. We see clothing in the store on a mannequin, a hanger or hopefully in some type of wonderfully engaging display perhaps. We put it on our bodies and walk around as well. But it seems all very two-dimensional. Are there any designer's that do anything more performative with their work, that in the visual expression of their work they involve three-dimensional space? if that makes sense. Maybe I am ignorant to this and perhaps there are some that work this way. I would love to know who they are.</p>

My thoughts are not quite clear to articulate this properly, but very intrigued by it all and will continue to explore it further.</p>
    Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: body and clothing in motion

Absolutely, Kira. Body in motion is also a fascination of mine (and some others here), as well as some of my favorite designers, in particular Ann Demeulemeester. She is a master (not to say mistress) of working with movement. Her clothes nearly always reflect that. You should watch some of her catwalk videos, and you will see what I mean. There are some of her videos on this site, see if you can search for them. The FW07 was particularly deceptive - it was one thing in pictures, and completely different on video.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

This is an interesting discussion in light of some of the recent womenswear collection sculptural but somewhat monolithic qualities (Margiela, Rick Owens).
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• kira
        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Absolutely, Kira. Body in motion is also a fascination of mine (and some others here), as well as some of my favorite designers, in particular Ann Demeulemeester. She is a master (not to say mistress) of working with movement. Her clothes nearly always reflect that. You should watch some of her catwalk videos, and you will see what I mean. There are some of her videos on this site, see if you can search for them. The FW07 was particularly deceptive - it was one thing in pictures, and completely different on video.
        [/quote]</p>

</p>

I will definitely search for the videos on the site. I am very taken with this idea right now and find myself really watching people, more so than usual and being completely captivated by these connections. The physical effects of music on the body are second nature to me at this point, or at least I understand that connection very deeply. But now considering another layer makes it so much more engaging to me. I think even more so when I sit there with my headphones on, with my own playlist that I am attached to at the moment, viewing this interaction with people and their bodies and what is on their bodies. It has become a performance in and of itself. I have always been aware of how I feel with what I put on my body and how I want to feel determines what I put on my body at any particular moment.</p>

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

You are a flaneur, kira. [86][Y]
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
            • Mar 2008

I prefer wandering voyeur. :)</p>

</p>

How do I get the smileys to work? I cant get the editing bar to work at all...</p>

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]

I prefer wandering voyeur. :)</p>

</p>

How do I get the smileys to work? I cant get the editing bar to work at all...</p>

[/quote]</p>

What browser are you on? I know this forum doesn't like Safari much.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                • Mar 2008

Safari- perhaps I should try firefox.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]Safari- perhaps I should try firefox.[/quote]j</p>

Yep, it should be better.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                    • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="kira"]Safari- perhaps I should try firefox.[/quote]j</p>

Yep, it should be better.</p>

[/quote]</p>

</p>

all good now [74] its amazing that i can take my computer apart and fix it but could not get a smiley to work...
                    </p>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

it's amazing that you can take apart a mac. i tried once, and failed.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]it's amazing that you can take apart a mac. i tried once, and failed.
                        [/quote]</p>

</p>

have not tried as much with mac, usually not necessary. they usually dont have problems. but have done it many time with pc.</p>

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]Absolutely, Kira. Body in motion is also a fascination of mine (and some others here), as well as some of my favorite designers, in particular Ann Demeulemeester. She is a master (not to say mistress) of working with movement. Her clothes nearly always reflect that. You should watch some of her catwalk videos, and you will see what I mean. There are some of her videos on this site, see if you can search for them. The FW07 was particularly deceptive - it was one thing in pictures, and completely different on video.
                          [/quote]</p>

</p>

I was able to watch the video of Ann's FW07. Quite intriguing. I enjoyed much of the clothing and the subtle movement in much of it and the sweeping movement of some of it, the long white coat. Wonderful. I was really captivated by the performance as a whole. I really enjoyed the choreography of the models up and down, crossing over the pathways. It still found that even with the models there seemed to be a disconnect with some of them and the clothing and their bodies. There were three girls in particular that really stood out to me, that seemed to embody what I am looking for. They had a certain je ne sais quoi about their movement. Its almost as though they were compelled to walk in rhythm to the music and had a fluidity about their bodies, that to me made their particular ensemble at that moment really stand out even more. Visually I could not help but watch them wherever they were going. Then, there were other girls that looked great and played the part well, however, it seems that something was just missing with them. I am not sure what that is yet. I come from a background of many years of dance so my perspective is skewed a bit about being connected to one's own body. But I dont think you have to have that experience to be fluid. The question then is what makes someone fluid?
                          </p>

As far as the clothing, I love the black boots. I am a very attached to black, so the layered textures in black, even with white are great. I even enjoy the skirts, not too full for my taste. Not too big on the furry things.</p>

</p>

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Will answer your question later, but for awesome choreography try finding a video for this McQueen show from last season based on Salem witch trials (unfortunately the video link in the thread is broken) - the models walked in the pentagram - it was really something.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]

I have been researching movement of the human body. One relevant thing for here is the notion of the movement of the body in clothing, how the body affects the movement of the clothing and how the clothing interacts with the body.</p>

We put it on our bodies and walk around as well. But it seems all very two-dimensional. Are there any designer's that do anything more performative with their work, that in the visual expression of their work they involve three-dimensional space?
                              </p>

[/quote]</p>

Great topic and post.</p>

Not a designer, but certainly an inspiration to designers, and the first person who comes to mind when thinking about motion, clothing and spatiality, Loie Fuller. [64]</p>

</p>

</p>

And at the risk of giving him still more exposure on this forum, Gilles Deleuze:</p>

"...art, ballet and mime became actions capable of responding to
                              accidents of the environment; that is, to the distribution of the
                              points in space, or of the moments of an event. "
                              </p>

and</p>

"? a figure which is always in the process of being formed or
                              dissolving through the movement of lines and points taken at
                              any-instant-whatevers of their course... It does not give us the figure
                              described in a unique moment, but the continuity of the movement which
                              describes the figure."
                              </p>

Both from Cinema 1: The Movement-Image</p>

</p>
                              ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎