Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to clothes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spoiledKiwi
    • Mar 2008

Do you feel that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to clothes??

My boyfriend is always pointing out the fact that I can find nice pieces for a reasonable price, whereas he has to spend more to look good. He told me that for women's clothing, it can be cheap but still look good, but for men's clothing if it's cheap it will look cheap. I've actually started to notice that whenever I shop with him, the men's things that are reasonably priced often look like they were poorly made or the fabric sucks. However, you can find women's items that are reasonably priced yet are constructed well with a decent fabric. I've actually had crappy H&M pieces outlast some of his more expensive items. I know a lot of you wear mostly high end pieces, but I'm curious what you think about this. I guess it boils down to the question of if it's easier to shop for a woman than a man if you're on a budget.
  • CHRIS
    Banned
    • Dec 2006

Re: Do you feel that women have an unfair advantage when it comes to clothes??

absolutely. the dress code for american men is t-shirt (or dress shirt) + baggy levis+ steve maddens of some sort. they're so afraid of looking as if they actually care about what they're wearing. being fashionable means you like sucking cock, so the majority of stores sell boring, ill-fitting shit because thats obviously what sells.

before i was able to stomach paying the prices i've become accustomed to paying, i almost exclusively shopped in the women's departments of lower end storesbecause the clothing is so much more intersting and detailed (than in the men's). i've come to notice that many high end men's pieces canactually bequite similar to low end women's pieces (i.ewrap, or long, slouchy cardigans, narrow, or high waisted trousers, etc). thats why you see so much gap and h&m in my wardrobe.

basically, if you'rea man and you have an interest in fashion, you have to dig, or pay a premium.

Comment

• matthewhk
      • Jan 2007

well, my take on this issue is that women have more versatility when it comes to choosing how to dress themselves, and with menswear it's more or less jacket-knitwear-trousers-footwear. So it's mostly an issue of whether or not something is well made. One is more likely to get a good buy at H&M if they're a girl as the variety is there that the menswear doesn't have (crappy M-65s, hoodies, striped shirts and jeans for the most part). Even a lot of high end womenswear I see doesn't seem like it'd hold up as well as the mens counterparts (if that house has mens and womenswear), but the difference is that there's a greater degree of design variety.

So as a man, if the key is to find pieces that have good craftsmanship or some kind of thought put into the design, you're going to have to pay more because most of the time run of the mill menswear is crap, perhaps an inferior shadow of its higher end counterparts.

Comment

• Honey~Blade
        • Sep 2006

The market is important as well. As a whole men are not too fussed about what they wear, so as a result only crap is available. I don't know too much guys whose interested in clothes or presenting themselves in creative ways. In fact I can only think of about 2, and even they're abit questionable. Perhaps it is culture. In the past it was considered honorable for men to dress up or at least think about what they put on themselves. No doubt Hollywood movies has also had a big effect on how men dress - which is usually not very good.

However in Japan, there's an incredible array of choice and it's amazing what people can wear on the street without any stigma or whatever.

I guess there's alot more I want to say to make it more clearer but I can't be bothered, I need sleep.

Comment

• matthewhk
          • Jan 2007

one thing i like about Asia is i can walk down the street in tight pants and not get shit from random strangers.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Absolutely agree with Honey~Blade - it's all about the market. Market often arises out of culture, and in the US the dressing culture for men, although slowly changing, is still largely unconcerned with clothes. That's why you don't really have the good mid-price range clothes. (It's not only about the fabrics, but about terrible, sloppy fit.) Not so in Europe, where it's not an uncommon sight to see a bunch of straight male teenagers happily clothes shopping together.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Uncontrol
              • Feb 2008

[quote user="CHRIS"]

absolutely. the dress code for american men is t-shirt (or dress shirt) + baggy levis+ steve maddens of some sort. they're so afraid of looking as if they actually care about what they're wearing. being fashionable means you like sucking cock, so the majority of stores sell boring, ill-fitting shit because thats obviously what sells.

before i was able to stomach paying the prices i've become accustomed to paying, i almost exclusively shopped in the women's departments of lower end storesbecause the clothing is so much more intersting and detailed (than in the men's). i've come to notice that many high end men's pieces canactually bequite similar to low end women's pieces (i.ewrap, or long, slouchy cardigans, narrow, or high waisted trousers, etc). thats why you see so much gap and h&m in my wardrobe.

basically, if you'rea man and you have an interest in fashion, you have to dig, or pay a premium.

[/quote]

This actually sounds just like me. Japanese men's fashion might be the way to go for you.

Comment

• voltaire's anti-defamation league
                • Aug 2007

me and my mom get in this argument all the time ' you spent 500$ on a shirt r you mad?' and im like no i just dont really have any other option. i consider 950$ guidi's the CHEAP ALTERNATIVE ahaha truthfully i like to support my favorites and would probably just buy from them anyways but sometimes it would be nice if there were more affordable options for the boys but i dont think theyll ever be enough demand in N.A to validate it ever really happening.

i remebmer chuckling when i saw those dior homme knockoff sneakers at Aldo like last summer...

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

[quote user="Uncontrol"]
                  This actually sounds just like me. Japanese men's fashion might be the way to go for you.[/quote]

for the record chris said before he was able to stomach the prices he pays now ;)

I agree with what most have said, some good points made.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mesh
                    • Dec 2006

Absolutely, my lady looks fabulous in the most inexpensive of clothes but I never let her out of the house without a quality bag and shoes.

Comment

• Fuuma
                      • Sep 2006

Of course they do; they can wear anything I wear and look cooler than me+ all the items that are part of their exclusive domain, from which I am excluded.
                      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

[quote user="mesh"]Absolutely, my lady looks fabulous in the most inexpensive of clothes but I never let her out of the house without a quality bag and shoes.[/quote]

[^o)][83]

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="kira"]

[quote user="mesh"]Absolutely, my lady looks fabulous in the most inexpensive of clothes but I never let her out of the house without a quality bag and shoes.[/quote]

[^o)][83]

[/quote]

haha, i caught that too. mesh, wtf?! [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• mesh
                            • Dec 2006

Relax you two you know I was kidding! ha

She has a couple of nice bags and shoes from dior, celine and soon louboutin (played out yes I know) thanks to me.

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

i know - just messing with you. [<:o)]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎