X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeijiHaino
    • Dec 2006

good, cheap dress shirts

anyone got any recommendations on good, cheap dress shirts? maybe something i can get online? button-down, long sleeves, nothing flashy.

plain. like american apparel, but dress shirts. i want to buy a few of the same color and have some other color options....

by cheap i mean under 100. or less of course.

• MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Re: good, cheap dress shirts

Uniqlo

Comment

• ddohnggo
      • Oct 2006

^ditto. fit me perfectly, but unfortunately you can't buy them online.
      Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• KeijiHaino
        • Dec 2006

i had a feeling that would come up...anything else?

Comment

• KeijiHaino
          • Dec 2006

anyone ever tried out

Charles Tyrwhitt?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

nope, but i think styleforumers like it, and they know their shirts. Doesn't LA have an equivalent of Century21 or something? Tons of good shirts under 100. I can't stomach those ghastly plastic buttons at Uniqlo and other cheap chains.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

I cant really help you here,

but i am having a killing here in queens

there is a closeout store here that sells designer merchandise.....

I got five dress shirts there on monday

HUGO BOSS + 1 Burberry for a grand total of $103............

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
              .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• KeijiHaino
                • Dec 2006

yeah, i could find some cheap stuff around town, but i just got my new visa, so daddy needs to do some online ordering.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

[quote user="KeijiHaino"]yeah, i could find some cheap stuff around town, but i just got my new visa, so daddy needs to do some online ordering.
                  [/quote]

then you gotta throw down for some NYC homegrown. None of that under 100 nonsense! [86]

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                    • Sep 2006

Ever since I realized they slimmed down the cut of their shirts, I've been impressed with J Crew button ups. The fabric is decent and the cut is nice, and the collars are small which is my #1 requirement. If you look for them on sale (and there are always some on sale) you can get 'em for $20. I've bought a few to beat around in, including a washed black pleated tuxedo shirt that looks convincingly like something Ann Demeulemeester did.
                    music

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ I am reading No Logo, and I feel awfully good that the stuff I wear is made in belgium, italy, and france. I know it's increasingly not the case, but the stories in that book are so disturbing that at least I'd like to think that my $ are not going to support union busting sweatshops where children work for 20 cents an hour.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
                        • Sep 2006

Good point. My boyriend is currently reading her other book "Disaster Capitalism" and getting quite worked up by it. Meanwhile I'm reading James Twitchell's "Branded Nation: The Marketing of Megachurch, College Inc, and Museumeworld" which is making me completely disgusted with the higher ed marketing machine and the art world. We should start a book club!

But anyway, the original post said "cheap dress shirts" and I imagine most other options mentioned (uniqlo, h&m) would have the same problem. It's difficult, because with the deep corruption of mega corporations and the way they reach into our lives, it's nearly impossible to consume everything ethically, so I find it difficult to judge others consumption because we can always be called out on something ourselves if we get preachy (I'm not directing this at you Faust, just in general). But at the same time, I try to avoid products that come from particularly egregious means of production and I respect others who do the same. Now I'm feeling guilty about those J. Crew shirts...

music

Comment

• theetruscan
                          • Jan 2008

Online, well-fitting, cheap, and ethical is a tall order.

For 1,2,3, see mytailor.com

For 2,3,4 see cego.com, but I think you've got to drop in the store in NYC.

CEGO shirts push closer to 110,120 for basics IIRC, but are the far superior product. Mytailor.com shirts are in the 50-300 range, but basic whites in double ply are like 65-80. You have to specify split yoke, mitred, mother of pearl buttons, interlining not fused, etc, but they do them all for no extra cost.

I just don't understand OTR dress shirts. They're never right.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

Online, well-fitting, cheap, and ethical is a tall order.

For 1,2,3, see mytailor.com

For 2,3,4 see cego.com, but I think you've got to drop in the store in NYC.

CEGO shirts push closer to 110,120 for basics IIRC, but are the far superior product. Mytailor.com shirts are in the 50-300 range, but basic whites in double ply are like 65-80. You have to specify split yoke, mitred, mother of pearl buttons, interlining not fused, etc, but they do them all for no extra cost.

I just don't understand OTR dress shirts. They're never right.

[/quote]

Mytailor doesn't look like a terrible option at all. They don't seem to have as small a collar as I usually like, but I'm tempted to give a "traditional collar #2" a shot. Can't go too wrong at those prices.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• wild_whiskey
                              • Oct 2006

Your requirements are a bit stiff.

As far as Charles Tyrwhitt goes, those things fit like tents. They do pass the minimum of quality - in fact they're quite good, but they're not going to go along with the likes of N(N) (except that they're super long, like formal dress shirts should be) or AnnD.

Uniqlo shirts are nice, but they're basically like GAP shirts. Absolutely nothing spectacular about them. I'd say the American Apparel comparison would be apt in this case, except for the fit (AA runs quite small). I went to the Uniqlo store recently and tried on a ton of stuff. The dress shirts actually fit quite nice but as mentioned above, the quality isn't anything to write home about and despite the Asian sizing I still needed a small to get anything of a decent fit.

I am actually a fan of MUJI dress shirts, I think they run $100 or so. I can't remember.

Brooks Bros. Black Fleece is buyable online, they have relatively slim fits (it's designed by Thom Browne for the unaware), and on sale I think they run around $80? Hickystyle.com also sells a lot of dress shirts for sub $80 and their quality is passable as well.

I'd throw a rec out there for Cego. Carl really knows his shit. I believe he makes shirts for Interpol as well as Brit Daniels (Spoon). I've tried a few places like mytailor.com for cheap dress shirts and what always comes to my mind first when I finally get the product is "you get what you pay for." Take that for what it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎