• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

iD Magazine features Junya Watanabe - April 2008

I thought this was a fantastic article that goes into how Junya approaches his menswear. Personally I've always loved his womenswear, and found his menswear a little uninspired - but I see it in a slightly different light now.

"the base of my menswear design is traditional. I think it is very important, especially the technical aspect.
    [...]
    I would like to challence the very structure of traditional clothes some day when I feel I understand it well enough and have enough techniques for it."

It as almost as though he is placing these limits upon himself which force him to learn more about menswear, and by doing so, also force himself to be more creative.

iD Magazine April 2008

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.
  • Johnny
    • Sep 2006

Re: iD Magazine features Junya Watanabe - April 2008

Thanks for posting this Avanster. Think it's a greatarticle and that the clothes look brilliant.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

/\ seems like a very anti-Junya model though, no?

Thanks Avantster. Looks like I will be spending my lunch our at Borders today.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
        ¤¤¤
        • Sep 2006

You are welcome, guys. Strange choice of model - but it does provide an interesting contrast. The fact it's off-putting perhaps even hints at the power of the 'traditional' in menswear.
        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

I wish they would do more shoots with models like this....I really like it.
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• AKA*NYC
            • Nov 2007

[quote user="Casius"]I wish they would do more shoots with models like this....I really like it.[/quote]

Good point. This is enough to convert a non-believer like me. Now I see where you were going with the "Mrs. Doubtfire" shirt...

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

[quote user="AKA*NYC"]

[quote user="Casius"]I wish they would do more shoots with models like this....I really like it.[/quote]

Good point. This is enough to convert a non-believer like me. Now I see where you were going with the "Mrs. Doubtfire" shirt...

[/quote]

Mrs. Doubtfire? LOL

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Honey~Blade
                • Sep 2006

The model was a strange choice.

So does this mean that once Junya is happy with his technical abilities when it comes to menswear, we'll be seeing alot more of his creative flair in them? I certainly hope so.

Is it just me or does menswear seem like an afterthought at CdG? While there are always afew select pieces that stand out, the rest look like what clowns or hippies would wear. Like the pink panther collection, rolling stones etc...

I guess I don't mind if it's crazy but just not whack.

Comment

• Buckwheat
                  • Sep 2006

Thanks for the scans Avantster. I totally missed it when I was browsing through it (or maybe I was just reading the last issue...I don't remember..haa)

I acutally like the use of the model. It shows the rebel side of the traditional/basic wear. We know it's not that traditional with all the interesting cut and twist from Junya. You can only see those details in person. I think the use of the model added another dimension to it from the normal eyes.

Comment

• skot4mc
                    • Oct 2006

thanks Avantster!

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

Great photoshoot - haven't had time to read the interview yet but I love the juxtaposition of the model / clothing as has been mentioned. However, I think to a degree I see it different than others here: that only with a model like this does the clothing appear even somewhat rebellious while on anyone else this would strike me as boring.

On a side note, the fellows tattoos are inspirational / remind me of the designs I've been working on for my own possible tattoo - might have to dig up that tatoo'ing thread again... it's a big decision, and I don't think I'll be doing anything that can't be easily covered up anytime soon unlike this fellow.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

The one on his center chest is amazing.

If they turned that photo black and white, you could tell me that it was a sailor in the 1800s and I'd believe it.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Servo2000
                          • Oct 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

The one on his center chest is amazing.

If they turned that photo black and white, you could tell me that it was a sailor in the 1800s and I'd believe it.

[/quote]

I like how mixed the influences appear to be - the designs I've been working on are similiar in that I've been trying to mix these old-sailor tattoos (i.e. the rats) with japanese-yakuza inspired ones like show up here, although the ones I've been working on also mix in more modern elements: modified modern cartoon characters, russian suprematism, supernatural symbology and as a whole the more vintage ones are more along the lines of Aurel Schmidt than true classic stylings. Basically an elaborate mish-mash of tons of the things I loved growing up about art, design and whatever else.

WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Ok, I read the article yesterday. It's not very well written [72]. Any useful info in it we already know (i.e. how Junya works with menswear), and all the musings about modernity, schmodernity by the author are kinda trite... I love the suit in the first photo though, haven't seen it in stores.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎