X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yan
    • Mar 2008

Money too tight to mention

I have noticed a real tightening in the prices people are prepared to pay for clothing. Case in point the C2 CCP fencing jacket and various things I have seen on SZ and on ebay. Discuss?
  • the breaks
    • Sep 2007

Re: Money too tight to mention

Some people here do talk about dropping 3000 dollars on a jacket like it's pocket money. But I won't hate just because I'm jealous...
    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Really, Yan? For someone your age (meaning, for someone who's followed fashion for a long time) it seems strange to say this. Over the last 5-7 years I've seen just the opposite - an INCREDIBLE increase in the amount of money people are willing to pay for clothes.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

I gotta agree with Faust here, especially after being one of those who dropped mad bills on a fencing.

Prices have gone WAY up and the upper boundary of "reasonable" is miles above what it was even just last year.

If you look at current season Carol prices, you're talking around $900 for a shirt now. People have also consistently mentioned the insane increase in footwear prices with even newcomers such as Augusta asking $2k+ for footwear.

If people are asking to pay (or willing to pay) within a self-imposed range of prices for certain items its because anything past that and you may as well buy a new motorcycle or car (or Faust will get on a plane and come stab you with his ninja sword). After a certain price, it becomes straight up insane.

This time next year, I could see the ss09 CCP leather jackets being nearly $7k in the US... which is crazy because just a year ago I was able to score one via Lazzari for just a tad above $4k delivered.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Yan
          • Mar 2008

Has the credit crunch not hit the US yet? The cost of living has rocketed in the UK meaning less money for everything. Petrol/ Gasoline is now at $2.20 a litre. Its great though if there are plenty of people ready to stump up potentially $7K for a jacket. Maybe getting kind of obscene though and borderline immoral given what is going on around the world and the fact that a $7K leather probably cost less than $1K to make.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

The credit crunch is here but has not hit the conscious collective. It will, probably by the end of the year. One thing you have to remember though is that the world is still richer than it has been, and more global. I think what is happening is just the gap between the haves and have nots has increased, and the middle class is shrinking.

There are of course other factors - how much disposable income you have, etc. Some people live with their parents or don't have kids or cars, etc. In general though, I still think that price resistance from an average consumer has fallen. I think what has happened is a cultural shift - there is a new sense of entitlement and hedonism that was not present in the last generation.

Last and not least - with the newly found wealth in the emerging economies, the market has widened. There are more billionaires who live in Moscow than in New York.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Yan
              • Mar 2008

I suppose that if fashion is an art then it should be for all to see and the very rich to own.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Yan"]I suppose that if fashion is an art then it should be for all to see and the very rich to own.[/quote]

Well, since it isn't art per se, we are safe here :-). Although, given that people now by manufactured art (prints, lithographs, etc.), you could argue otherwise. I don't want to get too much off topic though - would like to know what other people think.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• theetruscan
                  • Jan 2008

It definitely seems to me that there was a drastic difference between pricing when I last bought fashionable clothing and now.

I'm probably an unusual case in that I modeled for a bit in the 90s, then got (contentedly) fat and wore nothing but truly basic jeans and t-shirts, and am only now looking into clothing again.

When Raf Simons was at Rolo in the late 90s, he was a (relatively) unknown designer, and as such his tanks and tees were just over 100, pants around 200, and so on.

With Damir Doma as a (relatively) unknown new designer, I see tees around $350, the pants I like are around $700. As a graduate student I'm priced out of their brand even before anyone else knows who the fuck they are. That is kind of startling.

I don't think people are less willing to spend money on clothing in general, it seems to me that more people spend more money than they ever have, BUT it seems like price inflation is outpacing the prices most people are willing to spend on clothes. I know that, if I had found Carol Christian Poell last spring, I would have managed to swing $4000 for a jacket. Now, with the delivered price crossing $5500, it becomes both less manageable, and frankly less appealing.

I have a lot of fun reading SZ and seeing some of the fantastic things that can be purchased for ready money, but for me, some of these huge jumps just make the clothes unattainable. They also, in some senses, make me feel like I'm being had, and that's never a good feeling with clothes. One of the pieces I tried on at the Archive yesterday was a Volga Volga shirt, it was made of 4-5 shades of green and blue, in a patchwork panel, it is beautiful. Truly a stunning shirt. It's also a cotton jersey t-shirt for $575, and that begins to feel like a scam. That being said, I would have bought it if it weren't for how abundantly clear it became that I need to lose another 15 pounds when I put that shirt on.

EDIT: I got distracted reading this, but my point was that I used to be able to afford new and interesting designers (and have a lot less money than I do now) and now I can't really in many cases.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• TypicalFashion
                    • Mar 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

(or Faust will get on a plane and come stab you with his ninja sword).

[/quote]

this seems like the most cost effective way to do things!

Comment

• Pinoy
                      • Dec 2006

[quote user="theetruscan"]

I don't think people are less willing to spend money on clothing in general, it seems to me that more people spend more money than they ever have, BUT it seems like price inflation is outpacing the prices most people are willing to spend on clothes.

[/quote]

Totally agree with you here theetruscan. As an undergraduate, I'm in the same boat as you? I'm priced out of most brands even before they gain any sort of recognition.

In any case, it is truly amazing to see the amount of purchasing power that a consumer is willing to pay for clothing these days. Granted, the amount of money spent by the average, active SZ member is much higher than the average consumer, its still astonishing for me to see the insane amount of $$ people drop on clothing here.

Perhaps its because I was raised in an asian family who doesn't spend insane amounts of money on clothes (well, i guess except for my dad)... but still? even if I have a successful career down the road making lots of money, spending $7K on a jacket seems ridiculous.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="TypicalFashion"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

CCP fencing jacket - $6000

Round trip ticket NYC - Austin - $500

Seeing Faust chase Albert around with a ninja sword - priceless.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                          • Dec 2006

I'll weigh in a little bit deeper when I can but one thing about Damir and other new clothing lines is that they price their items high for a few reasons. One can be they want the clothing to be compared to other lines of high price so they price the line just as high. This will also already determine their clientele as well as the stores that will even consider carrying the line. Another is perceived value as they want the customer think they are getting very high quality because 'obviously' high price=quality.

It's one thing I like about Robert Geller. The quality is usually very comparable to the pricing and you are getting a 'fashion' item for a fraction of the price of other high end designers.

Endovanera is also doing some relatively cool things that are fashion forward that are in a great price range.

In the end though, we all have the power to drive pricing, or at least we should. The minute NO ONE buys when the pricing is outrageous then there is no choice for the manufacturers to comply and lower the pricing back down. But if we all submit to higher pricing, justifying it with the economy, the dollar, etc. then we are just setting ourselves up for price hikes every season.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• deleuze
                            • Jul 2007

I think all the comments that follow the original post only support Yan. The secondary market does seem to be tightening up as the primary market is exploding. Why buy an amazing piece from 2004 when you can spend 300% more and get something current even if the quality and execution are subpar? High-end fashion is becoming just as disposable as H&M clothing. Maybe Rei isn't so pathetic afterall . . .

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="TypicalFashion"][quote user="Chinorlz"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

CCP fencing jacket - $6000

Round trip ticket NYC - Austin - $500

Seeing Faust chase Albert around with a ninja sword - priceless.

[/quote]

hahahaha

The jacket ended up being $5k delivered. *whew*!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎