X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beforehewentmad
    • Apr 2008

Sewing Machine Recommendations?

I've been trying to decide on what brand/type of sewing machine to purchase. Lately I've been struggling between buying a refurbished industrial machine and a good new machine... I think I've decided on the new one just for practicality. I've sewn on Viking machines in the past, but am also open to other brands. I've heard good things about Bernina, Pfaff, Janome, etc. I'll be using the machine to construct sample garments, so no need for embroidery applications, but I would like a stretch stitch option. Also, I prefer machines with metal parts internally, etc. for durability. I believe the brands I named have that, but I'm not positive. Any feedback or recommendations would be appreciated.

BTW- Hello everyone. I'm new here... I really like the community you all have here, and hope to contribute some small part in the future. Cheers.

• Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Sewing Machine Recommendations?

I'm sure Zamb and others will have much better suggestions than me... but from what i've seen in stores and tested out, Bernina may be the hottest most high tech shit on the block, you could accomplish the same with much less $$$. They sure are lovely though!

I too am looking to pick up an industrial sewing machine in the near future so i'm looking forward to everyone's response!

.. and welcome to SZ :)

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

beforehewentmad,

Welcome to SZ, and thanks Albert.

Basically i think for sampling, if you can find a good used machine it is better than investing in a brand new machine, as you are going to get the same results from both.

what do you mean by a stretch stitch option, are you speaking of the Zig-zag stitch on some semi-industrial Machines?

my recommendation would be if you are going to make samples you need basicaly one JUKI straight stich and a five thread indusrtial Overlock for finishing edges and sewing cut and sew knits. anything outside of these two (except a buttonholder , which is very expensive, you dont need right now

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• beforehewentmad
        • Apr 2008

Albert- Thanks for the response and welcome yesterday.

Zamb- I appreciate your response. By stretch stitch, I meant a straight stitch that essentially stretches, which I've only ever heard called a stretch stitch. I suppose that isn't the technical term. It's probably not that necessary. In any case, I suppose that I'll be looking more into industrial/semi industrial machines. I'll definitely look for some Juki machines and sergers (overlock).

Any way to overcome the lack of automatic buttonhole function? Maybe just purchasing a cheap machine for that function? Handstitched buttonholes are grand, but on samples... hardly practical. [73] haha. I'm sure I can sort that issue out.

When the initial response pointed you out as being a somewhat authoritative source for this info I figured that you were a fashion designer, tailor, or couture seamstress? What exactly is your background... I don't mean to be rude. It's just that I'm not familiar with the people on this forum, and am asking about equipment that I am going to invest a few good dollars into. Figured I'd be thorough in my investigation.

Out of curiosity... what machines do you use personally? Thanks again for the reply. I really do appreciate it.

Comment

• AX-OV
          • Feb 2008

where are you located?

you should buy a NEW machine.. JUKI SIngle needle industrial.. i got mine from a place in LA for about $400... 2 year warranty.. Used are cheap yes, but when they have a problem it SUCKS...and Maintenance aint cheap.. TRUST me its not worth the headace!

Comment

• DHC
            • Jul 2007

Where'd you get pick that up at AX? I've been trying to find a good source for a Japanese JUKI industrial overlock serger.
            Originally posted by Faust
            fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• zamb
              • Nov 2006

[quote user="beforehewentmad"]

Albert- Thanks for the response and welcome yesterday.

Zamb- I appreciate your response. By stretch stitch, I meant a straight stitch that essentially stretches, which I've only ever heard called a stretch stitch. I suppose that isn't the technical term. It's probably not that necessary. In any case, I suppose that I'll be looking more into industrial/semi industrial machines. I'll definitely look for some Juki machines and sergers (overlock).

Any way to overcome the lack of automatic buttonhole function? Maybe just purchasing a cheap machine for that function? Handstitched buttonholes are grand, but on samples... hardly practical. [73] haha. I'm sure I can sort that issue out.

When the initial response pointed you out as being a somewhat authoritative source for this info I figured that you were a fashion designer, tailor, or couture seamstress? What exactly is your background... I don't mean to be rude. It's just that I'm not familiar with the people on this forum, and am asking about equipment that I am going to invest a few good dollars into. Figured I'd be thorough in my investigation.

Out of curiosity... what machines do you use personally? Thanks again for the reply. I really do appreciate it.

[/quote]

Before,

there is no such thing as a straight stitch that stretches, the only thing is unless you use a thread that stretches, which is only necessary if you are making knits/ wovens where you want some kind of gathering/ stretching in a specific area.

speaking of what i do, i am and have been all that you mentioned.

I am a young man (31) been sewing/ making clothes for 17 years.

I have been a , Tailor ( i had a custom tailoring business for seven years) tailoring teacher, Fashion designer, pattern Maker, technical designer, and many other things to do with Fashion/ Garment Making.

At home i have a Brother Single needleStaight stitch and a Singer five thread Vintage overlock.

At work i have a myriad of Machines, you name it, I have it at work.....Bar-tack, buttun-holer (straight and keyhole) eyelet, overlock, walking foot.................everything you can think of i at work.

Comment

• beforehewentmad
                • Apr 2008

[quote user="zamb"]

Before,

there is no such thing as a straight stitch that stretches, the only thing is unless you use a thread that stretches, which is only necessary if you are making knits/ wovens where you want some kind of gathering/ stretching in a specific area.

speaking of what i do, i am and have been all that you mentioned.

I am a young man (31) been sewing/ making clothes for 17 years.

I have been a , Tailor ( i had a custom tailoring business for seven years) tailoring teacher, Fashion designer, pattern Maker, technical designer, and many other things to do with Fashion/ Garment Making.

At home i have a Brother Single needleStraight stitch and a Singer five thread Vintage overlock.

At work i have a myriad of Machines, you name it, I have it at work.....Bar-tack, buttun-holer (straight and keyhole) eyelet, overlock, walking foot.................everything you can think of i at work.

[/quote] Zam- That's cool. I didn't mean any harm by the questions. It was just a genuine inquiry, because I am planning on getting a machine very soon, and wanted to be sure of my sources. I found the stitch I was looking for using google. Apparently it's called a straight stretch stitch, but it probably isn't necessary in retrospect. The advice is much appreciated. Cheers.

Comment

• AX-OV
                  • Feb 2008

[quote user="DHC"]Where'd you get pick that up at AX? I've been trying to find a good source for a Japanese JUKI industrial overlock serger.
                  [/quote]

There is a place on 8th and Los Angeles,, E of Los Angeles i believe.. i can take u..

Comment

• Casius
                    • Dec 2006

[quote user="AX-OV"]

[quote user="DHC"]Where'd you get pick that up at AX? I've been trying to find a good source for a Japanese JUKI industrial overlock serger.
                    [/quote]

There is a place on 8th and Los Angeles,, E of Los Angeles i believe.. i can take u..

[/quote]

Yea, I'd love to know of this place as well! Been looking at getting an overlock serger at a decent price.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• DHC
                      • Jul 2007

[quote user="AX-OV"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sweet![Y] I'll give you a call once the dust settles. I'm sure you can imagine how tight time is for me at the moment. Things should be back to normal pretty soon though..*fingers crossed*

Originally posted by Faust
                      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• zamb
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
                        anything have anything to say about a Singer CG550? I'm looking for something sturdy and reliable, not too fussy or heavy duty but that still gives me options.
                        Ive never used this machine, but i am really biased against domestic machines that dont have a removable Bobbin case (or any domestic machine for that matter) from what I know, your best bet is an industrial sewing machine, for the price you can find a used one for its way better than buying one of these............ you may be able to find a used Juki for about $350-500 depending on the cosmetic condition

the only good thing about these domestic machines is the Zig Zag stitch they have allow you to finish the edges of fabric in a similar way as an overlock machine and also to make some kind of buttonhole..............

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by MonaDahl
                          Yeah I've been told to go the industrial route, but I'm not sure I really need to at this point, and i like the versatility of a commercial machine, especially since i'm not doing anything too heavy duty and have access to an industrial machine occasionally. What are the downsides to the built in bobbin case?

the whole mechanical layout of it is inferior to the strength and durability of the machines made with the removable bobbin case, in part because of in the design the bobbin is inserted horizontally while the needle in the machine is moving vertically and most of the parts in this layout is made of plastic.

In an industrial sewing machine, and some domestic machines, you can find the ones with metal parts and a removable bobbin case that is inserted vertically, which is consistent with the way the needle moves when the machine is sewing.

Comment

• zamb
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by duncan_
                            anyone has experience with JUKI DDL227 industrail sewing machine?there is one on ebay in very good price and I'm thinking to buy.Thanks
                            the DDL 227 is not really that different from the DDL 555, which is pretty much the industry standard for its versatility in handling different weights of fabrics.
                            Generally juki Machines are very good machines, the Pfaffs and Durkopp Adler are the best, except they are ridiculously expensive and the parts are hard to source (damn you germans!!!!!)
                            so the Jukis are the next best things because they are relatively cheap and reliable, almost like driving a toyota car, comfort, reliability and minimal expense............

Just be careful of buying machines on Ebay though, sometimes you are lucky to get a very good deal, sometimes it can be disasterous (broken in shipping, actual machine different from the picture listed etc)
                            The rule of thumb is to always buy a machine that you can test before purchasing, as evry machine is different, and a "test Drive' can answer alot of questions for you..............

Comment

• delirium
                              • Sep 2008

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                              [quote user="AX-OV"]

[/quote]

Sweet![Y] I'll give you a call once the dust settles. I'm sure you can imagine how tight time is for me at the moment. Things should be back to normal pretty soon though..*fingers crossed*

[/QUOTE]

I know this is from a year ago, but is that place still good for sourcing machines?
                              Or anyone have recommendations for places around LA?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎