X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Real Real
    • Feb 2007

Vice Magazine - "I LOVE FASHION"

This was written by Christopher Bollen, editor of V Magazine - I liked the article. What do you think?
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Vice Magazine - "I LOVE FASHION"

It seems like the author is paying penance for his years devoted to producing commercial bland shit at V and VMan. Looks like a typical interesting, intelligent human being stock in a job that absolutely compromises his values (like me).

WTF is this lumping of Ann with Prada? [72] Has he been reading SZ? I wouldn't be surprised.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
      • Sep 2006

Thanks very much for the link, real real. I like the personal tone of it. The ideas are vaguely reminiscent of Lipovetsky's points in Empire of Fashion, which I've been reading recently. The sentiment is similar anyway, although obviously not as developed. What did you like about it? [51]

Faust, you are a bit paranoid when it comes to Ann, no? I don't think he is lumping them together--he's just saying they are both fashion designers! [72]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Haha, maybe :-) Just trying to figure out whom the article is intended for. Don't think I've ever seen Ann and Prada next to each other.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Well, I think this line--wherein he discloses the mysteries of the very edgy and avant-garde Viktor & Rolf--should give you some idea. [74]

"Fashion has often been noted for sucking the meaning out of subversive
          signifiers and peddling them as popular wares, thereby destroying their
          once-volatile expression?when even avant-garde designers like Viktor
          & Rolf use safety pins in their Fall 2008 collection, they are
          appropriating punk without keeping true to its trash rebellion, its
          spectacular refusal (even with ?no? written across the models? faces)
          ."

And all this time I thought V&R were totally the cutting edge of punk rock subversion....[79]

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

/\ lol

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Real Real
              • Feb 2007

[quote user="laika"]

What did you like about it?

[/quote]

Well, I like the honesty of it, something like this - Is it more dubious to create with the full acknowledgement that, yes, this will be tagged with a price, it is part of an economy that does dictate it to a degree, or to pretend that you are still employing liberatory gestures outside the order while you and your gallery are getting fat from the byproduct? I almost admire the honesty of the fashion world. I hardly ever see anything interesting in Vice, either, so my standards were low.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎