X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jak1
    • Dec 2007

NYC - CBGB varvatos - -R U kidding me ?

I have lived in Nolita few blocks from CBGB's for years. I have fond memories of music events and drink at this historical venue. Tonight, while jogging home, I decided to walk in on the way home to see this new store. I do not own any varvatos clothing and I was not happy about the entire sitation.. so, my observations were as follows.

1) The clothes looked like a conservative hack attempt at a rick owens type look

2) The idea of opening that store in this location is like opening an Olive Garden Franchise in the middle of Rome next to the coliseam, If you thought the french hated disneyland.. wait till you see how the italians would greet olive garden.

3) The footwear seems to borrow heavy tones from cdiem and ann d..

I think we can do without this store. and now I understand why barneys puts varvatos on the 4th floor instead of the 3rd..

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: NYC - CBGB varvatos - -R U kidding me ?

wait, varvatos opened a store where CBGBs used to be?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• casem
      • Sep 2006

Yea, I happened upon it on opening day.

I don't have memories at CBGB like others have, but this is sad none the less. Even though JV is supposed to have a "Rock n Roll" image, his clothes don't really match, they're so conservative. I did like the boots, I wonder if they were special edition for the store because I've never seen anything like that from JV. They were all very distressed and much more expensive than usual JV stuff.

My friend and I got into a conversation with someone (who I thought was an SA at first), about the store and how we liked it. After a few minutes I realized "wait, this is John Varvatos I'm talking to!" He must have been interested in people's reactions since it was opening day. His reasoning was that CBGB was going to be lost completely after its owner lost his lease, so opening the store was a way of preserving the space that may not have otherwise happened. In fairness, he did preserve the space well, keeping clothes on floor mounted racks, not intruding on what was there. I could tell he was genuine and a true fan of the space so I can respect where he's coming from. Though part of me thinks, if he really wanted to preserve it, maybe he could've subsidized it as it was (in return for a little advert: JV Presents: CBGB!) instead of turning it into a boutique.

music

Comment

• jak1
        • Dec 2007

they had many pairs of vintage non-varvatos distressed footwear.. but, I am not sure if that is what you were referring to.. ?

Comment

• iSuck
          • Mar 2008

I think John Varvatos has some sincerity in the decision to open the store there. From Cheap Trick, Velvet Revolver, Joe Perry, Alice Cooper and Iggy Pop beingin his ads I would say he has some personal connection with music.

Comment

[quote user="casem83"]

Yea, I happened upon it on opening day.

I don't have memories at CBGB like others have, but this is sad none the less. Even though JV is supposed to have a "Rock n Roll" image, his clothes don't really match, they're so conservative. I did like the boots, I wonder if they were special edition for the store because I've never seen anything like that from JV. They were all very distressed and much more expensive than usual JV stuff.

My friend and I got into a conversation with someone (who I thought was an SA at first), about the store and how we liked it. After a few minutes I realized "wait, this is John Varvatos I'm talking to!" He must have been interested in people's reactions since it was opening day. His reasoning was that CBGB was going to be lost completely after its owner lost his lease, so opening the store was a way of preserving the space that may not have otherwise happened. In fairness, he did preserve the space well, keeping clothes on floor mounted racks, not intruding on what was there. I could tell he was genuine and a true fan of the space so I can respect where he's coming from. Though part of me thinks, if he really wanted to preserve it, maybe he could've subsidized it as it was (in return for a little advert: JV Presents: CBGB!) instead of turning it into a boutique.

[/quote]

qft.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

[quote user="jak1"]

2) The idea of opening that store in this location is like opening an Olive Garden Franchise in the middle of Rome next to the coliseam,

[/quote]

Hahahaha well said. :)

LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

lol, Faust, you were so busy busting on Rei, that you forgot to fight the real enemy. [86]

Old press release. Be warned, it is rather excruciating to read.

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--John Varvatos Enterprises is excited to announce the opening of its
                latest boutique at 315 Bowery in New York City, the space that formerly
                housed the seminal underground music club CBGB?s.
                Varvatos, known for infusing his personal passion for rock & roll into
                his acclaimed menswear collections, is aiming for a spring 2008 opening.

The opportunity to take over the defunct club arose when Varvatos was
                viewing the adjacent space at 313 Bowery for an entirely separate
                purpose. Overwhelmed by a desire to see the shuttered venue where he had
                attended countless shows over the years, Varvatos asked the lease-holder
                if he could take a look. Once inside, the designer was inspired to do
                what he could to help keep the spirit of CBGB?s
                alive in its original East Village location. ?The
                space had been empty for the better part of a year as we searched for
                the right tenant. John Varvatos is ideal because he has a real reverence
                for the history of the space and every intention of honoring its legacy,?
                said Elliott Azrak of Azrak Capital Group. Azrak?s
                Rebel Rebel Realty took over the lease in 2006 after the exit of
                long-time tenant Hilly Kristal.

John Varvatos - the man and the brand- has ties to the world of music
                that run deep. An avid fan of such bands as Led Zeppelin, The Who, The
                Replacements, and The New York Dolls since his teen years growing up in
                Detroit, Varvatos now features legendary rockers in his advertising
                campaigns. The ads, photographed by Grammy-nominated music documentarian
                Danny Clinch, have showcased Slash, Ryan Adams, Alice Cooper, and
                CBGB-alum Iggy Pop, wearing Varvatos?
                signature designs. With a nod to The Ramones, Varvatos also collaborates
                with Converse on a line of sneakers and clothing. In addition, Varvatos
                has played host to an array of legendary rockers including The New York
                Dolls who performed at the launch of the Converse by John Varvatos
                clothing collection, Jesse Malin at The Highline to benefit Free Arts
                NYC, and most recently, Perry Farrell at a benefit for the VH1 Save The
                Music Foundation, a charity of which John is also a board member.
                Frequent CBGB performer and East Village local, Jesse Malin, commented, ?After
                getting to know John over the years and seeing him host wonderful live
                music performances, I can't think of anyone better to keep the spirit
                and soul of rock music alive on the Bowery in the old CBGB's location.?

Varvatos is thrilled about the new location that comprises 3,300 square
                feet in the original club space. ?This store
                is going to be totally unique, different from our other boutiques,?
                said the designer. ?We?re
                going to make it a great way to look back at this remarkable history but
                also forward to what?s happening in music
                today.? Among the many ideas being considered
                for the new store are a special merchandise mix geared to a rock & roll
                customer, a stage permanently integrated into the store design, an
                in-store performance series featuring up and coming musical artists, and
                a new John Varvatos collection designed specifically for 315 Bowery,
                from which a portion of the proceeds would benefit an artist development
                fund. ?I think it?s
                great ?now all the old CBGB punks will
                become the best dressed CBGB punks in the world,?
                declared Alice Cooper.

CBGB OMFUG (Country, Blue Grass and Blues and Other Music For Uplifting
                Gormandizers) was founded in 1973 and quickly forsook its namesake
                musical styles to become a forum for rock and punk bands including
                Blondie, Talking Heads, Television, Patti Smith Group, Richard Hell &
                the Voidoids, The Ramones, and Green Day. The club closed in October
                2006. The final show on its stage was performed by Patti Smith.

Launched in 2000, John Varvatos? lifestyle
                collection is comprised of John Varvatos Collection, John Varvatos USA,
                Converse by John Varvatos - clothes for guys and girls, John Varvatos
                Eyewear, and John Varvatos SKIN and Fragrance. Varvatos has been
                recognized three times by the CFDA with an American Fashion Award for
                New Menswear Designer (June 2000) and Menswear Designer of the Year
                (June 2001 and June 2005). The collection is distributed internationally
                and in five freestanding John Varvatos boutiques in the U.S.

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

once i showed up at cb's for a kerosene454 show where they were supposed to open for pegboy. the guy at the door told me that kerosene had bailed on the show and that they would never play at cb's again. little did he know that he was speaking the truth DUE TO JOHN FING VARVATOS TAKING OVER THE SPACE.

just reminiscing.

Comment

• iSuck
                    • Mar 2008

Would you rather have it become a John Varvatos "homage" store or a Starbucks/Chase instead?

Comment

this is not a binary situation.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="laika"]

lol, Faust, you were so busy busting on Rei, that you forgot to fight the real enemy. [86]

Old press release. Be warned, it is rather excruciating to read.

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--John Varvatos Enterprises is excited to announce the opening of its
                        latest boutique at 315 Bowery in New York City, the space that formerly
                        housed the seminal underground music club CBGB?s.
                        Varvatos, known for infusing his personal passion for rock & roll into
                        his acclaimed menswear collections, is aiming for a spring 2008 opening.

The opportunity to take over the defunct club arose when Varvatos was
                        viewing the adjacent space at 313 Bowery for an entirely separate
                        purpose. Overwhelmed by a desire to see the shuttered venue where he had
                        attended countless shows over the years, Varvatos asked the lease-holder
                        if he could take a look. Once inside, the designer was inspired to do
                        what he could to help keep the spirit of CBGB?s
                        alive in its original East Village location. ?The
                        space had been empty for the better part of a year as we searched for
                        the right tenant. John Varvatos is ideal because he has a real reverence
                        for the history of the space and every intention of honoring its legacy,?
                        said Elliott Azrak of Azrak Capital Group. Azrak?s
                        Rebel Rebel Realty took over the lease in 2006 after the exit of
                        long-time tenant Hilly Kristal.

John Varvatos - the man and the brand- has ties to the world of music
                        that run deep. An avid fan of such bands as Led Zeppelin, The Who, The
                        Replacements, and The New York Dolls since his teen years growing up in
                        Detroit, Varvatos now features legendary rockers in his advertising
                        campaigns. The ads, photographed by Grammy-nominated music documentarian
                        Danny Clinch, have showcased Slash, Ryan Adams, Alice Cooper, and
                        CBGB-alum Iggy Pop, wearing Varvatos?
                        signature designs. With a nod to The Ramones, Varvatos also collaborates
                        with Converse on a line of sneakers and clothing. In addition, Varvatos
                        has played host to an array of legendary rockers including The New York
                        Dolls who performed at the launch of the Converse by John Varvatos
                        clothing collection, Jesse Malin at The Highline to benefit Free Arts
                        NYC, and most recently, Perry Farrell at a benefit for the VH1 Save The
                        Music Foundation, a charity of which John is also a board member.
                        Frequent CBGB performer and East Village local, Jesse Malin, commented, ?After
                        getting to know John over the years and seeing him host wonderful live
                        music performances, I can't think of anyone better to keep the spirit
                        and soul of rock music alive on the Bowery in the old CBGB's location.?

Varvatos is thrilled about the new location that comprises 3,300 square
                        feet in the original club space. ?This store
                        is going to be totally unique, different from our other boutiques,?
                        said the designer. ?We?re
                        going to make it a great way to look back at this remarkable history but
                        also forward to what?s happening in music
                        today.? Among the many ideas being considered
                        for the new store are a special merchandise mix geared to a rock & roll
                        customer, a stage permanently integrated into the store design, an
                        in-store performance series featuring up and coming musical artists, and
                        a new John Varvatos collection designed specifically for 315 Bowery,
                        from which a portion of the proceeds would benefit an artist development
                        fund. ?I think it?s
                        great ?now all the old CBGB punks will
                        become the best dressed CBGB punks in the world,?
                        declared Alice Cooper.

CBGB OMFUG (Country, Blue Grass and Blues and Other Music For Uplifting
                        Gormandizers) was founded in 1973 and quickly forsook its namesake
                        musical styles to become a forum for rock and punk bands including
                        Blondie, Talking Heads, Television, Patti Smith Group, Richard Hell &
                        the Voidoids, The Ramones, and Green Day. The club closed in October
                        2006. The final show on its stage was performed by Patti Smith.

Launched in 2000, John Varvatos? lifestyle
                        collection is comprised of John Varvatos Collection, John Varvatos USA,
                        Converse by John Varvatos - clothes for guys and girls, John Varvatos
                        Eyewear, and John Varvatos SKIN and Fragrance. Varvatos has been
                        recognized three times by the CFDA with an American Fashion Award for
                        New Menswear Designer (June 2000) and Menswear Designer of the Year
                        (June 2001 and June 2005). The collection is distributed internationally
                        and in five freestanding John Varvatos boutiques in the U.S.

[/quote]

Seriously, WTF?! [86] <Goes to get the ninja sword>

I swear if I hear the word "lifestyle" one more time, I will have to sacrifice someone.

Rebel Rebel Realty? Huh, the things have really come full circle. Anyway, if it wasn't for deep pocketed douchebags like Varvatos, maybe the club would still be open? This feeds nothing but his ego - like others said, if he wanted to preserve it, he could've subsidized the place.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="iSuck"]Would you rather have it become a John Varvatos "homage" store or a Starbucks/Chase instead?[/quote]

Starbucks/Chase, obviously. For the same reason that Brittney Spears and Chrstina Uglyera are cooler than Good Charlotte and Avril Lavigne.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                            • Nov 2007

In all fairness the scene is long dead dead and CBGB was well past its prime when it closed for good. With the exception of those "last hurrah" shows with Patti Smith, Bad Brains, Agnostic Front, etc., the club sponsored one lackluster night after another (with a few surprising morsels here and there) for as long as I can remember. And Bowery is/was a vast shithole/watering hole long bereft of any creative energy. A Varvatos store and Bruce Willis wine bar can only improve that neighborhood, unfortunately...
                            LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

What scene isn't dead, AKA? This is not a rhetorical question I'm asking.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎