X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Who?
    • Aug 2007

An Experiment in Jewelry

So I have the opportunity to try my hand at creating some jewelry. The process involves carving wax, casting a mold and creating a piece in either silver or gold. I am at the carving process right now. I began with a brick of green Jelenko wax. This wax is brittle and dense, it should be molded with instruments that have been heated with a Bunsen burner but I don't have one at the moment so I just used sharper instruments (an Xacto knife and a wax carving tool) and tried to be careful. Since I have no experience with craving I started with the simple form of a spike/nail. Basically it ended up being a slow process of widdling the wax until it took the form I wanted.

More will follow...

WTB/WTT: Lots of Things
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: An Experiment in Jewelry

I can't wait!
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

Yea, I can't wait to see where this goes!

Who, I've also worked with PMC before and you may want to check it out. (PMC) It's really moldable in the clay form and then you can heat it up with a torch or in your oven and then bam, you have jewelry! I'm trying to perfect making rings right now but I really need to get a ring mandrel to get it round.

But as far as pendants and more 2D objects are concerned, it's very easy to make with PMC.

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

holy shit. I didn't know this stuff existed!

now post-firing is it brittle if you were to hit it with a hammer? Or does it deform like "real" metal?

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

You do have to let it sit, but afterwards it's just like metal. It's the coolest stuff ever! I have a small blow torch at home with a big, flat cinder block and I heat the pieces on that.

All you have to take into account, especially with rings, is that after heating it does shrink down a bit. I grabbed a book that actually has specific sizing help for PMC.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

well damn... a whole new medium has been revealed to me.

Thanks Cas!!!

Comment

• Who?
              • Aug 2007

Cas that's crazy, I am going to pick some up and see what happens.

I should be able to get a piece completed by this weekend. Once that happens I am going to explore what finishes I can create. One finish I really want to apply is called "oil can", which was used by Scotty Cameron on his line of putters. Looks like this:

Comment

• Casius
                • Dec 2006

That oil can finish looks really cool. That would look exceptional on a ring.

Yea, my Mom actually introduced the PMC stuff to me a bit ago and it is really cool stuff. It's not exactly 'cheap' but I think it's well worth it for the fun of creating your own jewelry.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Who, just in case you aren't sure how to apply the oil can finish, i can give you tips on it... I've played around with it before

great minds think alike ;)

Comment

• Who?
                    • Aug 2007

Awesome, damn I love SZ. [Y]

Comment

• xcoldricex
                      • Sep 2006

yeah the pmc stuff is amazing i have been meaning to buy some for the longest time but other projects always come up...

Comment

• kira
                        • Mar 2008

another place for supplies and information- i could steer you towards other sites if you guys need...

amazing how now that I am not teaching or working in the ceramic studio anymore, i am still able to give my resources and knowledge to others. [75]

Precious Metal Clay (PMC) is a revolutionary material in the jewelry world developed by Mitsubishi Materials in the early 1990's. The ingredients of PMC are micro-particles of pure silver or pure gold suspended in binder they call "clay." The binder consists of water and organic plant-based materials which feels like a soft clay to the touch. The binder or "clay" is inert and non-toxic in both its raw and fired form.

The firing temperature of metal clay is 1110° to 1830° depending on the type of PMC. Up to 30% shrinkage occurs in the kiln as the micro-fibers of metal fuse together and become solid. The binder ("clay") burns away completely in the kiln leaving solid metal that is about 80%-90% as dense as conventional sheet, wire or casting grain.

Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• Who?
                          • Aug 2007

Kira- you're a wealth of info. If I don't have access to a kiln is there anything I can use as a substitute firing source or do I have to go to the local college and beg to use the kiln?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

Who, not sure how much you want to spend my friend but on the PMC link that Cas gave up above they sell some mini-kilns on there. For small jewelry purposes it seems like the $150 kiln would be pretty good! Does up to 100 grams at a time.

Mere pennies if you think about it ;)

Comment

• Who?
                              • Aug 2007

For sure, I may pick one up if there's no other options.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎