X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minomni
    • Oct 2006

Adding Structure / Stiffness to Fabric

am attempting to create a fabric version of the architecture portfolio i constructed in craft paper below: i have purchased a good amount of black ducking cloth, was counting on the hardening effects of glue and two layers of cloth to do the trick, but the results have proved to be a bit.. flaccid. thought i remembered something relating to this in the DIY versions of the m.a+ wallets, does anyone have any experience as to ways in which one could add structure and stiffness to the cloth that also leaves the fabric free of residue? feedback, derision welcomed.

• zamb
    • Nov 2006

Re: Adding Structure / Stiffness to Fabric

[quote user="minomni"]

am attempting to create a fabric version of the architecture portfolio i constructed in craft paper below: i have purchased a good amount of black ducking cloth, was counting on the hardening effects of glue and two layers of cloth to do the trick, but the results have proved to be a bit.. flaccid. thought i remembered something relating to this in the DIY versions of the m.a+ wallets, does anyone have any experience as to ways in which one could add structure and stiffness to the cloth that also leaves the fabric free of residue? feedback, derision welcomed.

[/quote]

there are several types of fusibles you can by depending on the dregree of stifness you want, i need to better understand wgat you are constructing though to give you better advice

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• minomni
      • Oct 2006

thanks zam, it's just a folder that holds my drawings - it's made from a single sheet of two-sided strathmore craft paper and i would like to follow a similar process with the fabric, i.e. not resorting to gluing multiple pieces of cloth together. i just used glue to double up the ducking cloth before i cut the pattern, but it's not rigid enough to be a folder.

Comment

• gerry
        • Feb 2008

I don't entirely understand the limitations of what you're trying to achieve, but wouldn't sandwiching traditional plastic portfolio material in between cloth and variegated quilting to fuse them together work?

Comment

• minomni
          • Oct 2006

the dimensions are about 18 inches by 22 inches, i guess i can find plastic sheets and cut out shapes and construct the sort of support system that you mentioned, but i was hoping to keep it a bit more minimal in principle and just work with the one piece of fabric. it is also very possible that it's not very possible to make a piece of fabric of these dimensions stand up with any kind of authority.

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

The problem with a lot of fabric I've found is that initially it may be quite stiff but with use it'll soften up sort of like how raw denims do. When I made the MA+ accordion bags and did a 3 layer fusion (2 thick stiff canvas layers with interface in between) it was very stiff and curved rather than folded but now after about a year of use it's soft.

It sounds like the best thing to do is follow Gerrys suggestion if you want to ensure that it'll be stiff enough to make sure your hard work stored within doesn't get bent out of shape with a wrong bump!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• minomni
              • Oct 2006

booo :o sound advice, destroying the contents for the sake of the container will not be very impressive. i'll try some type of thin, lightweight aluminum sheeting maybe.
              thanks!

Comment

• gius
                • Nov 2007

can i see the pictures that have disappeared ? [73]

Comment

• minomni
                  • Oct 2006

accidentally deleted it from the webspace, will post some pictures of the cloth version when its complete :o

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎