PDA

View Full Version : Travel

sharkweek
05-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Where are your favorite places to go traveling? hotels to stay at? things to do while you're there? places to eat? etc, etc.<div>
</div><div>Still being in high school I haven't done much traveling aside from family trips to places like Florida, Cuba, and Mexico. I've got the chance now to pick somewhere to go on vacation and I'd love to go somewhere with great landscape and architecture as well as shopping and food. Does anyone have any recommendations?</div>

Servo2000
05-12-2008, 02:20 AM
I'd make sure to concentrate more on the landscape, architecture, food and people. Clothes can always be shipped.

iSuck
05-12-2008, 05:07 PM
I've got the chance now to pick somewhere to go on vacation and I'd love to go somewhere with great landscape and architecture as well as shopping and food. Does anyone have any recommendations?</P>

Florence</P>

justine
05-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Catalonia is great.

BECOMING-INTENSE
05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
^yes, Catalonia is a great suggestion. Depending on how much time you
have, I would also highly recommend to take the trip from Barcelona
through the Aragon region down to Navarra, Basque, La Rioja and
Cantabria(Pamplona, Bilbao, San Sebastian, Santander etc.)

I spend 2 month traveling in these parts of spain, and it was absolutely fantastic.</p>

[51]
</p>

lowrey
05-13-2008, 05:47 PM
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

uhhh I wrote 3 paragraphs yesterday and got the Oops after hitting post [:(]</P>

I have to admit I really love many ofthe typicallylikedcapitals.. Paris, London, New York, LA, Tokyo, Berlin. I guess they're popular for a reason, but theyall have their own unique atmosphere which is pretty unbeatable. when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in ParisI spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death.I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.</P>

out of those cities, Paris is the one I really miss when I'm not there. the others I really like to go to, but Paris is different. New York is obviously great and I miss it too. and well, Berlin I also find myself going back to quite often. I was in Tokyo for the first time since I was toddler and really loved it, it was very different from what I expected, much more homey or comfortable. it doesn't feel like that big of a city, unless you're in the middle of Shibuya.</P>

Diego
05-13-2008, 05:52 PM
<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in Paris I spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death. I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.
</p>

</p>

Amen Mike. </p>

justine
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in ParisI spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death.I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.</p>

True. Very True.
</p>

The Louvre is great though. But unless you really need to check one particular work in the flesh for some reason, I'd avoid museums too. </p>

And if you really need to go, go at odd hours. There's nothing worse than being in a museum where you see tourists in shorts and backpack being in front of what you are trying to view, running from one painting to the next to basically just check the name of the painter.
Having said that, in Catalonia, I'll probably still check the Dali Museum, and the Miro Fundacion!</p>

</p>

Oh, and the suggestion about Japan is definitely a GREAT one.
</p>

sharkweek
05-14-2008, 02:47 AM
<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

when travelling I think the most important thing is to just live in the moment there instead of being just a visitor. I hate sightseeing, well most of it. in Paris I spent 30 minutes at the louvre and was bored to death. I'd much rather roam the streets, take the subway around, look at people, buy food from small stores, eat well.. shop at interesting small stores.
</p>

</p>

Amen Mike. </p><div>
</div><div>I participated in a two week long school trip to Europe. 80+ people traveled as a group all over Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Italy and France and not being able to decide for myself what I was going to do nearly gave me a heart attack. The best parts of the whole trip really were sitting down in public places with a friend or two and conversing with locals--language permitting of course. And I agree with the statement you made about places like NYC and Paris. I loved both of these cities--NYC especially because you can literally find anything you could ever possibly want, but not in the way that when you go to a Moroccan restaurant they have caesar salad and chicken strips and bullshit like that on the menu to appeal to whoever walks in the door. It seems that no identity or vision is lost in cities like that; you always seem to get the full intended effect, and I like that.</div><div>
</div><div>My favorite suggestion so far is Florence--I love traditional Italian food and Italy is really beautiful</div>

matthewhk
05-14-2008, 03:57 AM
my favorite travel memories involve these places:</P>

- Havana: The place where I met one of my first loves, cigars, i have enjoyed most of the caribbean/latin american destinations i've been to...Cuba itself is a bit surreal in its old world/new world contrasts. Probably someone living there wouldn't feel this way, but as an outsider looking in it seemed as close as one can get to a communist paradise. But that's ironically the result of capitalism more than anything else. One day I'd like to find a chica I can do that Colin Farrell/Gong Li 'Miami Vice' sequence with, speedboat, mojitosand dancing and all. </P>

- Tokyo: The only place I ever go for travel these days, even if just to shop and eat i find the city inspiring and the women are beautiful but i can't touch them because I don't understand a word they're saying and vice versa. Reminds me of "The Girl From Ipanema." Japan is the one place I've been to that when I'm there I literally feel like i'm on another planet. I imagine I'd go crazy if i hung around too long.</P>

- Capri: Was still young when I went here, but if I had a girlfriend I would like to go on a romantic getaway with her to this place...it feels very glamorous. European decadence and extravagance is a personal fascination of mine.</P>

- Santorini: Pretty much same reason as Capri, loved watching the sunset with a thousand other people at the same time.</P>

- Paris/New York: I don't think most people here would consider the latter "travel" but it is to me since I am not from the States. I lumped these two cities together because to this day even though I have been to many other places and seen many different things i am still intrigued and drawn in by the mystique and allure of these cities. I see the people who live there go about life effortlessly and I know they're places that I can never live in but I feel excited just being a part of the action. </P>

Faust
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

</p>

</p>

Amen Mike. </p>

</p>

3rd. And, yes, I ALWAYS miss Paris. I was even tempted to take a two day trip there from Antwerp, but it's just not feasible. I feel like Tantalus. I am not crazy about London though.</p>

matthewhk
05-14-2008, 01:12 PM
<p mce_keep="true"> </p>

</p>

</p>

Amen Mike. </p>

</p>

3rd. And, yes, I ALWAYS miss Paris. I was even tempted to take a two day trip there from Antwerp, but it's just not feasible. I feel like Tantalus. I am not crazy about London though.</p>

</p>

2nd on London. Been there once wasn't crazy about it, everything is expensive. I think it's fine for those who live there, but i wouldn't put it on a list of "must go" places for travel. But of course, if one has never been it is worth going to just because.
</p>

philip nod
05-14-2008, 01:33 PM
dread london</p>

</p>

so faust ^^^^ has 8,888 posts, he must run this thing or something
</p>

Faust
05-14-2008, 01:42 PM
hahaha, thanks for pointing out :-) what do i win?

Divo
05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Even though I am a big fan of all the cosmopolitan cities the world has to offer, there are smaller gems to explore, like:</P>

- Krakow (Poland) --- spectacular medieval city which - miraculously - survived WW II without too much inflicted damage.... and of course a visit to Auschwitz which will grab you by the throat and will never let go of you;</P>

- Helsinki / Helsingfors(Finland) --- used to live in Finland forquite some time(Tampere, or Tammerfors for the Swedish among you) and always love(d) to pay a visit. It is not particularly beautiful, but the atmosphere is relaxed and you will find an eclectic mix of people,style, architecture, shops, restaurants and clubs</P>

- Brugge / Bruges(Belgium) ---not the first destination to come in mind, but combine it with a visit to Antwerp, Brussels and last but not least Bruges and step into a whole new world of medieval greatness;</P>

- Crete (Greek island) --- even though filled withhurdles of loud tourists, it's definitely my favorite place among the Greek islands. Ancient sites wherever you go, and amazing toexplore by scooter (which I have done with my GF and one of the best experiences I haveever had). People are uber-friendly and the food is great (don't eat near harbours, but visit small taverna's in little alleys of Rethymnon and Heraklion for great culinary experiences).</P>

Cheers and good luck with choosing a destination,</P>

Divo</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

Faust
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Brugge is awesome - I visited last year. Really beautiful, old, and quiet. Very contemplative.</p>

My other "B" cities are Copenhagen, Stockholm, Vienna, Edinburgh, and Prague. All are worth visiting and are really beautiful. Well, and Antwerp, for obvious reasons.
</p>

kira
05-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Really? Wow, I'm truly surprised to hear that, especially from a New
Yorker. Were you able to hit up any night clubs, martini lounges, or
restaurant bars while you were here visiting Los Angeles? Sounds like
you didn't exactly receive the full treatment of what Los Angeles
really has to offer. While most people prefer to binge drink when they
first arrive inside the clubs at our reserve tables, I on the other
hand make sure I get myself on the floor before it gets mad crowded. I
can always drink later when it gets packed or when the music begins to
suck ass and the energy around me begins to die down. http://stylezeitgeist.com/emoticons/smile.gif</p>

</p>

In LA, I was there for an art thing. So I hung out most of the time at the Chateau with a friend by the pool and eating on the patio. I was only there for 3 days and spent most of time my relaxing, which was what I really needed.</p>

I go through phases with how I go out here. Often I just lay low, with the occasional blowout. I tend to go out more in the summer with my one friend and we have definite crazy dancing fun. However, I have a tendency to drink a ton with her and I am trying to not drink so much these days. A little bit here and there is fine or a little at a time I should say. But I have a high tolerance mostly and so does she, so we get into alot of trouble. [79] I am one of those women that loves to just dance by myself for hours, and I get bothered alot by men trying to grind on me [71] I love dancing with people but not on people. [86] I have a friend that works the door at Cielo, so I think we may try to go and enjoy some house music soon, or hit up a salsa club. I am definitely feeling an intense urge to go right now.</p>

</p>

Trendy Andy
05-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Such a short visit in Los Angeles Kira. Hope you made the best out of it anyways. When you said Chateau, you meant Chateau Marmont by the Cabana pool? [:^)] Thats a nice shindig place to hang for out-of-towners.
</p>

</p>

But I have a high tolerance mostly and so does she, so we get into alot of trouble. [79] </p>

Now thats what I'm talking about yeah baby yeah![86] jk....Right on~! Sounds like you have what it takes to be the next socialite on your career list. Being a socialite was my thing for the past 6 years but I think most my friends feels they're at a certain age where done with the club scene.[70]</p>

</p>

...and I get bothered alot by men trying to grind on me [71]</p>

I think most women regardless of which part of the globe you're from are annoyed by this action. [83][87][86]</p>

</p>

...I am one of those women that loves to just dance by myself for hours.
</p>

I like to dance without a partner if their playing house, trance, or high energy music, but I don't ever like to dance alone. I ain't no stripper!!! [74]
</p>

You're referring to Cielo on 12th near Hudson Street right? I've been to Cielo late last year. The line was ridiculously long since there was a special event going on that night which is why we went also. They were turning girls away that were on the guest list, I was shocked. You never turn away a cash cow at any club, especially if they look really hot. Its a cool vibe in New York, but everyone is connected. It's more about who you know rather than money talks. I think next time I prefer going with more people though. The friends I went with were bunch of wallpapers, standing by the wall holding their drink and were observing all night. If I wanted to observe as if I was at a museum, I would have gone to MOMA instead. [85]</p>

I hope you went tonight since I am replying this a little late. Weeknights are less crowded anyways. In Hollywood, thats usually celeb night where all the freaks and the big breasted blonde bimbo Barbies come out. [H]</p>

</p>

</p>

</p>

In LA, I was there for an art thing. So I hung out most of the time at the Chateau with a friend by the pool and eating on the patio. I was only there for 3 days and spent most of time my relaxing, which was what I really needed.</p>

I go through phases with how I go out here. Often I just lay low, with the occasional blowout. I tend to go out more in the summer with my one friend and we have definite crazy dancing fun. However, I have a tendency to drink a ton with her and I am trying to not drink so much these days. A little bit here and there is fine or a little at a time I should say. But I have a high tolerance mostly and so does she, so we get into alot of trouble. [79] I am one of those women that loves to just dance by myself for hours, and I get bothered alot by men trying to grind on me [71] I love dancing with people but not on people. [86] I have a friend that works the door at Cielo, so I think we may try to go and enjoy some house music soon, or hit up a salsa club. I am definitely feeling an intense urge to go right now.</p>

</p>

theetruscan
05-27-2008, 09:33 AM
<div>
</div><div>My favorite suggestion so far is Florence--I love traditional Italian food and Italy is really beautiful</div>

</p>

Florence is a difficult city in which to be a (good) tourist. The museums are wonderful (I like that kind of thing), but the tourist industry is so large that a lot of the things which are great about Italy aren't so prevalent. You have to be careful, or you find yourself paying $12 for a cup of coffee or $22 for a microwaved dinner surrounded by other tourists. If you go to Florence spend long enough and wander well enough to meet locals and find out where to go for fun (Slow Food will get you started for restaurants). </p>

Alternately pick another location in Italy, if you're eager to visit. Decide on what you want most and focus on that. Piedmont is my favorite part of Italy, and if you visit in late Spring, there aren't enough other visitors to get in the way. The cuisine is wonderful and the people don't see enough tourists very often to be turned off by them . If you find the good restaurants you can easily find yourself drinking wine with the local winemakers until 1-2 in the morning.</p>

Emilia-Romano is another wonderful foodie area of Italy.</p>

If you do Tuscany, just drop by Florence. Sienna is incredible, and the Tuscan coast is the best part for food anyway, and somehow less heavily touristed.
</p>

Faust
05-27-2008, 11:25 AM
It's true, one can go to Sienna. We stayed in Tuscan countryside, and it was nothing short of incredible. I am thinking next time to rent a villa with a cook with a bunch of friends.

kira
05-27-2008, 01:34 PM
It's true, one can go to Sienna. We stayed in Tuscan countryside, and it was nothing short of incredible. I am thinking next time to rent a villa with a cook with a bunch of friends.
</p>

I am a huge fan of Florence. This last time that I was there I was able to have some amazing meals. But Sienna does also sound absolutely wonderful Faust. </p>

Chinorlz
05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
In the footsteps of David, my girlfriend and I are meeting up with the rest of my family in Hawaii on thursday.</p>

... and we JUST returned to San Antonio last night!</p>

Last week was Boston, NYC and a number of small towns around CT and MA.</p>

</p>

*whew*</p>

</p>

snafu
05-27-2008, 04:42 PM
going to marrakech a week on sunday

theetruscan
05-27-2008, 06:05 PM
going to marrakech a week on sunday</p>

Fascinating city. I doubt you'll want to go back, but I bet you will have a lot of fun. Take a daytrip up into the mountains just east of town if you have time.
</p>

snafu
05-28-2008, 05:39 AM
thanks any info advice would be recived with total thanks and much appreciated</p>

i was hoping to take some pics of some leather stuffs over with me and see if i could find someone who could maybe knock some things up, or atleast buy some nice leather while im over, because iv heard and read its quite a big thing over there, what do you think of the chances</p>

just basically going there to catch some sun, eat some nice food, and experience and different culture</p>

theetruscan
05-28-2008, 09:48 AM
thanks any info advice would be recived with total thanks and much appreciated</p>

i was hoping to take some pics of some leather stuffs over with me and see if i could find someone who could maybe knock some things up, or atleast buy some nice leather while im over, because iv heard and read its quite a big thing over there, what do you think of the chances</p>

just basically going there to catch some sun, eat some nice food, and experience and different culture</p>

</p>

There are still 2 real tanneries in Marrakech and 1 in Fez if I remember. From what I've seen, you will not find someone to knock off pieces to any satisfactory quality, though you may find some decent things if you look hard enough. The leather you will find in shops and the medina is almost exclusively crap, about the only things you will find in the medina that are worth anything are from some blacksmiths way in the back, and assorted odd shops here and there, it's mostly touristic shit. The tanneries (one may have shut since last year) are on the outskirts of town because they smell really bad, and are worth a visit. </p>

It's more somewhere to go for the experience than for shopping.
</p>

snafu
05-28-2008, 10:26 AM
yeh i totally agree but it would have been more of a bonus if i did manage anything

ddohnggo
05-28-2008, 12:01 PM
thinking of going to the amalfi coast in italy. has anyone been? any recommendations?

theetruscan
05-28-2008, 12:25 PM
thinking of going to the amalfi coast in italy. has anyone been? any recommendations?
</p>

Isn't that where they shot all the spagetti westerns?
</p>

iSuck
05-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I lived in Siena for a while a few years ago and it is by far my favorite city in Italy. If you go during the summer you may be able to catch one of the Palio races. I don't know if someone would want to stay there for an entire week; but, if you can go for a month it makes a great spot to relax, decompress and use as a launch point to make 2-3 day trips to Florence, Venice, Rome, etc.

kira
07-15-2008, 02:26 AM
Anyone ever been out to Taos, NM? I may be working out there starting thursday, in addition to LA, or instead, depending on how we can organize things. I have heard that it is beautiful but that is all that I know...

Faust
07-15-2008, 11:43 AM
/\ when are you coming back? IMAX and Batman will be restless.

sam_tem
07-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Anyone ever been out to Taos, NM? I may be working out there starting thursday, in addition to LA, or instead, depending on how we can organize things. I have heard that it is beautiful but that is all that I know...
</P>

I've only passed through Taos and didn't actually get to see any of the town. The skiing is great (wrong time of year i guess)and if you enjoy the outdoors you'll find tons of stuff to keep you busy. It really is a beautiful part of the state. I can't imagine there's much to do in the town itself other than buy a bunch of indian souveniers and see some arts &amp; crafts shows. It would bea great place to spend a few months though and i'd take it over LA any day.</P>

kira
07-16-2008, 02:08 AM
</p>

back in working order 24th of july- for the weekend and then off again...how about friday july 25th imax SZ outing for the dark knight?</p>

i understand if you cant wait that long. it looks really good!!!!!</p>

</p>

kira
07-16-2008, 02:10 AM
</p>

I've only passed through Taos and didn't actually get to see any of the town. The skiing is great (wrong time of year i guess)and if you enjoy the outdoors you'll find tons of stuff to keep you busy. It really is a beautiful part of the state. I can't imagine there's much to do in the town itself other than buy a bunch of indian souveniers and see some arts &amp; crafts shows. It would bea great place to spend a few months though and i'd take it over LA any day.</p>

</p>

that is good to know. i have been told that it is amazingly beautiful... am working on a shoot out there so could be really nice, but i am a little bit inclined to have the relaxation of my hotel in LA and the pool and the beach. to make it work in Taos will really stress me out.</p>

Faust
07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
</p>

back in working order 24th of july- for the weekend and then off again...how about friday july 25th imax SZ outing for the dark knight?</p>

i understand if you cant wait that long. it looks really good!!!!!</p>

</p>

</p>

Actually, I like waiting. Gets all the crazies out of the theater first.</p>

kira
07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
me too. i cant stand waiting in line for hours for a good seat. but definitely want to see it at imax. think it will be great that way. [51]

Faust
07-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Can you get to Vancouver from Seattle by car? How long? Any other modes of transportation between the two cities?

lowrey
07-16-2008, 08:31 PM
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

I'd imagine so, if I remember correctly Seattle is pretty close to the border, under 100 miles I think? and Vancouver is much closer</P>

just spent a few days in Paris, I'm actually glad we were there on a sunday as well, got to just hang around for a day. went to parks, Palais De Tokyo,and there wasone of those cheesy mobilecarnivalsat Jardin Des Tuileries [H]</P>

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2662978421_6327d9ae8f_o.jpg</P>

ddohnggo
07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Can you get to Vancouver from Seattle by car? How long? Any other modes of transportation between the two cities?
</p>

it's around a 3 hr drive from downtown seattle. car is the best way. you can do bus i'm sure (never done it) or you could fly (expensive).</p>

Boki
07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Even though I am a big fan of all the cosmopolitan cities the world has to offer, there are smaller gems to explore, like:</P>

- Krakow (Poland) --- spectacular medieval city which - miraculously - survived WW II without too much inflicted damage.... and of course a visit to Auschwitz which will grab you by the throat and will never let go of you;</P>

- Helsinki / Helsingfors(Finland) --- used to live in Finland forquite some time(Tampere, or Tammerfors for the Swedish among you) and always love(d) to pay a visit. It is not particularly beautiful, but the atmosphere is relaxed and you will find an eclectic mix of people,style, architecture, shops, restaurants and clubs</P>

- Brugge / Bruges(Belgium) ---not the first destination to come in mind, but combine it with a visit to Antwerp, Brussels and last but not least Bruges and step into a whole new world of medieval greatness;</P>

- Crete (Greek island) --- even though filled withhurdles of loud tourists, it's definitely my favorite place among the Greek islands. Ancient sites wherever you go, and amazing toexplore by scooter (which I have done with my GF and one of the best experiences I haveever had). People are uber-friendly and the food is great (don't eat near harbours, but visit small taverna's in little alleys of Rethymnon and Heraklion for great culinary experiences).</P>

Cheers and good luck with choosing a destination,</P>

Divo</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

</P>

You really hit the right nerve with Krakow and Auschwitz, its a spine chilling place. Krakow itself has got an amazing monastery made out of wax which is deeply interesting.</P>

I would also say the Adriatic sea is an amazing place to visit, which is the Dalmatian part of Croatia, the sea side, and Montenegro, the city of Budva is a lovely lovely place.</P>
<P mce_keep="true"></P>

Wiggles
01-25-2009, 02:25 PM
If this thread doesn't belong here, sorry and please move it [smile]

So, I'm going to Paris in March for 5-6 days. It'll be my first time there, and I'm not sure what to do/where to go, so what does everyone recommend for hotels (moderate/cheap preferred), restaurants, shops (can't spend a ton, as I can't really afford this trip in the first place, but any and all thoughts please - really looking for things I won't see back in the US), must-sees/dos, etc? I'll also be coming from London, where I'll be for 3-4 days, and I've only been to London 1 or 2 times before years ago, so any recommendations for London as well are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MikeN
01-25-2009, 06:08 PM
You can find lists of shops here, but check out the superfuture maps for restaurants, hotels, museums, etc...

MonsieurLéo
01-27-2009, 04:50 PM
I can't really help you without knowing your budget since Paris is more or less like London when it comes to hotels. Though, you should definately check this website: http://www.0800paris-hotels.com/index_fr.asp?pub=G2hp

Mikael
02-09-2009, 06:39 AM
I cannot help for hotels because I live there but here is what I would recommand

Free (if under 25) : Louvres by night on friday (or wednesday but not free then)

Restaurants :

Cheap (10 / 20 euros) :

Sapporo restaurant - Rue St Anne (M : Pyramides) - Very nice japanese restaurant where you eat ramens and other cool meals

A bit expensive (50 / 70 euros) :

Le George - On top of Centre Pompidou museum (M : Rambuteau) - Typical lounge restaurant (you wont eat a lot) with a very nice sightseeing of all Paris

Musical Hall - Avenue F D Roosevelt (M : F D Roosevelt) - Same than Le George - sightseeing + funny lights on the walls - Try the "Foie de veau" if you eat meat

To have a drink:

Le George

Kong (M : Pont Neuf) but do not eat there

I am more into little rock bar but I just go to the place I like the most without them beeing really good unfortunately (that's why I do not mention them)

Other:

Angelina - Rue de Rivoli (M : Tuileries) Very nice hot chocolate + Chestnut dessert

Vikeid
02-18-2009, 02:42 PM
should be great if someone helped me out here.

im going to paris tomorrow for some shopping. what i wonder is simply.. were to shop? which is the best stores etc?

things that im interested in is mostly ann demeulemeester, rick owens and viridi anne. also other brands but this is high priority. any suggestions on good stores with these? ann d is number 1. i guess i will go to rick flag ship store but then i dont know.. or where to find all. also give suggestions for other stores that carry good stuff.

should really appreciate help, thanks!

edit: maybe i posted in the wrong forum. though i was posting in shopping and personal style.

Faust
02-18-2009, 04:02 PM
Yes, you indeed posted in the wrong forum if you don't know of the little store called L'eclaireur.

nutty07
02-20-2009, 09:43 AM
it's fun in Paris, I love the shops

lowrey
02-20-2009, 06:00 PM
should be great if someone helped me out here.

a search will get you a long way

http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3484&highlight=paris

http://scoute.org/issue/august/paris/

kbi
03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
I'm planning a trip to japan this summer. My main concern is the language, are there a lot of communication problems if u only speak english (don't think german would be helpful :D)?

I am interested in doing a language course in japanese but can't find any schools for foreigners wanting to learn the language.

Anybody of u guys got this kind of info from trips to japan or does someone live there? Or does someone know a homepage that offers this kind of service?

thx for help!

lowrey
03-20-2009, 09:51 AM
people dont speak english as they would in most european countries for example, but particularly younger folk (those working at boutiques etc) understand a bit and even speak a few words. Japanese people are extremely friendly so its not a big deal, I've found people to be quite excited to try and talk a bit of english, and the rest can be handled through gestures etc.

Arcane
05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
Couldn't find a thread like this and I might prove useful as people on here tend to travel quite a lot. Obviously I'm not creating this out of charity, I need some help/recommendations. Me and my girlfriend are going to sardinia and corsica in late july/early august and are looking for some cheap accomodation. A good apartment for a good price would be nice or hostels of course, doubble rooms if possible. We're renting a car for the whole stay so getting around won't be a problem. Our current price range is up to about €30 per night and person, we might be willing to pay a little more for an apartment/cabin.

Faust
10-11-2009, 07:25 PM
100 European hotels under $150 from NYT (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/11/travel/11HotelsOne.html?em). Bookmarked this, looks like a must for reference.

Faust
12-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Europeans, Easyjet or Ryanair? Or shoot myself instead? Going from Florence to London.

theetruscan
12-11-2009, 07:37 PM
both are trash, get the cheaper one, but be careful with ryanair, they sometime use airports in the middle of nothing

Ryanair's frankfurt airport is over a fucking mountain range. Learned the hard way.

Faust
12-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Wire, I am leaning towards easyjet just for that reason - at least they fly to gatwick. I don't even know what the fuck Stantsted is, but apparently it's a London airport. I feel like I can handle it, given the savings.

Faust
07-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Anyone been to Tallinn? Need some restaurant, bar, club recs. Thanks.

thehouseofdis
07-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Just got back from a great trip to Vienna.

Faust
07-08-2010, 02:31 AM
Anyone been to Tallinn? Need some restaurant, bar, club recs. Thanks.

Went, and now can give recommendations. Food in Tallinn is amazing and cheap.

Woland
07-09-2010, 04:52 AM
spending a week in the South Dalmatia by car - mostly Dubrovnik and Split. Also planning on driving to Sarajevo if it's recommendable.
Any advice on restaurants, etc?
Thanks

Faust
07-23-2010, 08:54 PM
/\ can you slow the fuck down with your posts? before i ban you.

endersgame
08-31-2010, 12:05 PM
does anyone know of a cheap hotel in St. Barths around Christmas/New Years?

jogu
09-23-2010, 12:39 AM
im goin back to london in a lil bit probably in winter , idk how long not that long though .
ill prolly be alone this time which kinda blows but at least this time ill be able to hook up lol jusssst kiddin , does anyone have any recommendations for lodging thats not mad expensive ? i dont need anythin fancy really , just a warm bed and my own room and place to shower. i used to sometimes stay at this hostel there but the price skyrocketed since i was last there and my friend that i would stay with is gonna be here in the usa :(
thanks

Faust
03-08-2011, 10:32 AM
What's going on in Helsinki these days?

sinbad
03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Late last year, I had to travel to Hokkaido,
I was impressed with the beauty of the hotel and onzen.

Bosozoku
03-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Meneetko Suomeen? Guess it's european design capital 2011 if i am not mistaken,will let you know as i will be in finland for the upcoming three weeks.need any advices on hotels,restaurants?

Faust
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Not on hotels (maybe on hotel bars?), but restaurants, sure... and on anything else.

TheNotoriousT
03-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Hey everybody,
need help concerning nice hotels in Los Angeles and San Francisco urgently.
Some leads on cool areas to stay and on nice but not too crazy priced (200-300$ per night for a double room) places to stay would be very much appreciated.

While you're at it shopping leads for the two cities wouldn't hurt either. [thumbup]

TIA
Cheers
T

Faust
03-13-2011, 06:22 AM
/\ Jet-setter! [tongue]

I stayed at the Clift in San Fran and liked the hotel (the area, not so much, but it's nothing bad). The nightlife area is the Mission district. Of course you gotta try some burritos there, but I don't know where. And, obviously, gotta go to both the Archive and Downtown! If you are there with a girl, Cielo is a nice store to visit (but one time I went the service was very Pretty Woman), as well as Gimmeshoes!

TheNotoriousT
03-13-2011, 06:53 AM
/\ Jet-setter! [tongue]

I stayed at the Clift in San Fran and liked the hotel (the area, not so much, but it's nothing bad). The nightlife area is the Mission district. Of course you gotta try some burritos there, but I don't know where. And, obviously, gotta go to both the Archive and Downtown! If you are there with a girl, Cielo is a nice store to visit (but one time I went the service was very Pretty Woman), as well as Gimmeshoes!

Thanks a lot man!
Had to cancel our Japan trip for obvious and beyond terrible reasons and are planning two weeks in LA and San Francisco right now.
Traveling with the gf (she says thanks) of course and will pay a visit to all affiliates in LA and San Fran for sure.

Keep em coming pretty please!

Cheers
T

MoFiya
03-13-2011, 07:18 AM
Going to Berlin from the 25th to 27th of march...
Any tips on what to see / visit?
I saw that there is the MaerzMusik festival but the concert I wanted to see (Sandglasses (http://www.berlinerfestspiele.de/de/aktuell/festivals/02_maerzmusik/mm11_programm/mm11_programm_gesamt/mm11_ProgrammlisteDetailSeite_18208.php)) is already sold out [cry]

Already planned is visiting the Bunker (thanks to Campbell), Darklands (thanks to SZ) and Margaux (so looking forward).

edit. Mostly looking for
- food (both eating and copping)
- arts and culture
- shopping tips (beyond the obvious)

No need for advises regarding nightlife [tongue]

flux
03-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Not on hotels (maybe on hotel bars?), but restaurants, sure... and on anything else.

E, I could help you with the Helsinki info..

For restaurants, check these out:
Rafla (http://www.ravintolarafla.fi/) - modern European food with a friendly athmosphere and the price is right too.
Farang (http://www.farang.fi/) - an amazing blend of Asian dishes with a Finnish twist (a bit pricey though).

For shopping apart from our own Seven (http://www.seven-helsinki.com/) - Helsinki10 (http://www.helsinki10.fi/), Beam (http://beamhill.fi/beam/) and the shops around the Helsinki Design district (http://www.designdistrict.fi/design_district) would be my recommendations.

For going out Club YK (http://www.clubyk.fi/) or Nolla (http://www.ravintolanolla.fi/) are probably the only two places in Helsinki that I have had a ball. Tavastia (http://www.tavastiaklubi.fi/) has also some decent gigs once in awhile, check out the calendar for these.

Hope this was helpful. If you got more questions, you can PM me. [smile]

Chinorlz
05-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Thought I'd bring this back up with a request from the Spanish members of SZ... been trying to purchase Renfe tickets on their website but to no avail. Apparently this is a common issue with people residing in the US.

There are 4 trip legs that I need to purchase. Is there someone that would be willing to do the purchasing for me online (so that I am able to get the Touristas rate)? There will of course be compensation [thumbup]

Thanks guys!

sinbad
05-23-2011, 08:03 PM
This afternoon my sister Will travel to Croatia.
Not anyone in my country go here, Who in the SZ used to go to some here? I feel that this is not popular here. I know only of Zagreb and split I want to know the places to see, Food & Art Dentistry,Culture of this country.

If she come back and say a good place. Maybe this year I will probably go like her.

sam_tem
10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Can anyone point me to some good spots in glasgow/edinburgh, mainly glasgow. here for another week on business but keep in my mind my travel is very limited as i never got my "official" renewed license back in the states so i can't rent a car while here and i could only hit up edinburgh by train this weekend.

not looking for eating/shopping, just looking for important things to see or do like architecture, museums, etc. place seems pretty hopping so far though. might try to see Planningtorock saturday night and would love to get out to see Spiritualized at Queens Hall sunday night but i don't see any chance in hell of that happening. looks like a lot of interesting bands play at that King Tut's Wah Wah place.

Faust
10-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Glasgow has a fantastic culinary scene. I was there years ago and had dinner at a seafood restaurant called Gamba (http://www.gamba.co.uk/) and it was one of the best meals of my life. Otherwise the town is pretty crappy - but Johnny might fill you in. Edinburgh is gorgeous. Just stroll around in the old town, it's like walking in a fairy tale.

sam_tem
10-09-2011, 10:56 AM
thanks Faust, will try to check it out. ended up doing castles and other stuff this weekend so unfortunately i'm not going to make it over to Edinburgh. everyone says it's a lot prettier there whereas glasgow is more industrial.

Faust
10-09-2011, 11:21 AM
thanks Faust, will try to check it out. ended up doing castles and other stuff this weekend so unfortunately i'm not going to make it over to Edinburgh. everyone says it's A LOT prettier there whereas glasgow is more industrial.

Fixed [cry]

hommedeguerre
10-09-2011, 01:32 PM
Heading to Reykjavik on Wednesday. I was there last year, but only breifly. Any recommendations? I really only drank at Kaffibarrin and Boston. Breakfast at Grey Cat and Prikid. Anyone with any educated opinions? I want to rent a car and drive for a full day...but where to? Just want ideas. I've been to thingvellir...but only at night...is it worth another visit?

munch
10-13-2011, 10:31 AM
hmm it appears I'll be in Montréal in approx 1 week, for an unknown period of time. 'sup Canada? anything fun to do there? shopping? all I know is I'm having a smoked meat sandwich at Schwartz's

(sorry for x-post just didn't get any response and I'll be arriving Oct 23rd, I think there is hope still)

Atmosphere
10-24-2011, 05:55 PM

rottentomatoes.
06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
I'm travelling across East Europe this summer by train or bus. Anything I must not miss? Currently I've planned to visit Budapest, Krakow, Poznan and Bled at least.

galia
06-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi all
I'm going to Scotland at the end of August. Could someone recommend a cheap but fairly central accomodation in Edinburgh for a couple of nights? Doesn't have to be fancy, but cleanliness is very much appreciated
Also one or two restaurant recommendations would be nice, but we will be poor and travelling on a student-like budget so no extravagance plz.

tips as to must-sees would also be nice [smile]

Faust
06-13-2013, 03:20 PM
You must see the castle, obviously. It's nuts. Also, the neighborhood behind the castle is pretty.

Don't know about accommodations and cuisine. It's been 10 years.

galia
06-13-2013, 03:32 PM
I'm only going to spend like one day there, so I guess castle and stroll would be it. aren't there any scots on here?

unwashed
08-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Gonna Backpack in Malaysia for a month next week. Mainly across Borneo and couple of days in Kuala Lumpur. Any recommendations for Kuala Lumpur for Hotels/food/drinks/nightlife/shops etc? Which islands are worth going to? We don't have a concrete route in mind yet besides The Sabah hotspots. Might learn to dive there as well. All info is welcome!

Atmosphere
08-26-2013, 05:59 PM
^
Isn't Fark from Malaysia? Haven't seen him on here in ages (I bet he got tired of 'darrrrk gothic styles' and moved on to Styleforum or something like it), but I guess you could try your luck and send him a PM asking for suggestions

Atmosphere
10-20-2013, 03:22 PM
Bumping this thread.

Has anyone on here been to Tel Aviv? Which bars, stores and restaurants are not to be missed?

Fuuma
10-21-2013, 07:03 AM
Gonna Backpack in Malaysia for a month next week. Mainly across Borneo and couple of days in Kuala Lumpur. Any recommendations for Kuala Lumpur for Hotels/food/drinks/nightlife/shops etc? Which islands are worth going to? We don't have a concrete route in mind yet besides The Sabah hotspots. Might learn to dive there as well. All info is welcome!

Maybe I'm too late...

in KL Istana hotel is central, relatively cheap and offers nice accommodations. There is no high end shopping of the type SZers are typically looking for (niche) that I know of but the Hermès/LV/Saint Laurent etc. labels can be found at Pavilion, a huge shopping complex you have to see at least once anyway. For Japanese & New Yorkers: there's a pretty good Ippudo at Pavilion. The Shangri-La hotel also has a nice Japanese restaurant. For nightlife I like No black tie, a small and discrete Jazz bar with good live shows. I like a restaurant called Indochine or cochine (not sure anymore) but maybe it's some sort of post-colonial nostalgia.

Best food in KL is to be bought on the street though, go to cheap places with plastic chair for maximum enjoyment.

ienjoybiscuits
10-23-2013, 04:02 AM
Hey guys, I'll be holidaying in Beijing in December and a couple of nights in Shanghai, could anyone recommend me any nice places to shop and things I should check out? Thanks!

pregnantbob
10-23-2013, 10:54 PM
Hey guys, I'll be holidaying in Beijing in December and a couple of nights in Shanghai, could anyone recommend me any nice places to shop and things I should check out? Thanks!

Depends on what you want to shop for, anything luxury (importer designer labels) attracts a hefty tariff that makes the purchase pointless if you have the means to get them elsewhere.

Look after your lungs in Beijing, the pollution there hasn't gotten any better, it's the only time where I don't care about looking like a knob for wearing a filter mask.

I presume you're doing the usual travel touristy stuff, but in Shanghai make sure you head to the Park Hyatt in PuDong, their bar, 100 century ave on the 92 floor is the tallest in China and has one of the most incredible views. Get there just before peak hour and watch the city come alive as the sun sets and the neon turns on, it's incredible. Their restaurant is also superb so drinks before sunset then a meal after would be a nice evening.

ienjoybiscuits
10-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Depends on what you want to shop for, anything luxury (importer designer labels) attracts a hefty tariff that makes the purchase pointless if you have the means to get them elsewhere.

Look after your lungs in Beijing, the pollution there hasn't gotten any better, it's the only time where I don't care about looking like a knob for wearing a filter mask.

I presume you're doing the usual travel touristy stuff, but in Shanghai make sure you head to the Park Hyatt in PuDong, their bar, 100 century ave on the 92 floor is the tallest in China and has one of the most incredible views. Get there just before peak hour and watch the city come alive as the sun sets and the neon turns on, it's incredible. Their restaurant is also superb so drinks before sunset then a meal after would be a nice evening.

Wow thanks so much! Actually I was originally born in Beijing so I visit about once every two years with the rest of my family so I've already done most the the touristy stuff. I'm planning on paying Anchoret a visit in Beijing and I'll definitely take your advice on Shanghai, it sounds amazing.

u-ti
10-25-2013, 08:12 AM
if u've got spare time, i recommend hanging around a bit in caochangdi, outskirts of beijing. nice little village with artists from in and out of china, keeping a very strong and local energy with an atmosphere i havent encountered elsewhere. but then again, this was a few years ago, i dont know exactly what its like now, maybe a bit more commercialized ...

MaxM
10-25-2013, 09:40 AM
Beijing, id say Ink is worth a visit ?
For Shanghai, id recommend the Waterhouse on the Cool Docks (south of the bund). Design-wise i dont think any other place in Shanghai comes close. It might be hard/expensive to get a room but u can go for food and drinks.
(I posted a few pix of the place here : http://stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=384849&postcount=99)

Faust
10-25-2013, 06:51 PM
Obviously, you should visit Eth0s in Shanghai.

ienjoybiscuits
10-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks guys I've noted all the places mentioned. Should make for an exciting trip

dji
11-19-2013, 03:01 PM
looking for recommendations for places to visit from DC that can be reached in 5 hours or less via any mode of transportation, want to make the most of the location as I am not sure how long we'll be living on this side of the world. so far we've visited LA, San Fran, NYC (twice), Orlando and New Orleans, and will be in Jamaica for the Thanksgiving long weekend. thinking of Miami and Vegas but any other suggestions would be great!

Faust
11-19-2013, 07:19 PM
Chicago, if you are into modernist architecture and outstanding food that's cheaper than NYC. And Gallery Aesthete is there.

Boston, if you are into charming brownstones and wasps.

dji
11-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Chicago is on my to visit list. Definitely not until after winter though, it's fucking cold enough here!

boodude
11-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Fellas, passing by tokyo for a day on my way back from nepal. Any suggestions for quick shopping visit - i wanna check jp designers ( julius, kk, devoa etc) the catch is I am 6.2 feet tall and slim with sz 44 feet. So i need a place that carries these sizes. Help is much appreciated!

OliverG
11-21-2013, 02:23 AM
Chicago is on my to visit list. Definitely not until after winter though, it's fucking cold enough here!

Chicago in May or June, take in a Cubs game at beautiful Wrigley field before it all changes--big plans in the works for that whole neighborhood. Blues and jazz clubs, The Green Mill, pizza, and the beach... You can't go wrong in Chicago in the summertime. Keep to the North Side and downtown.

Faust
04-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Have any of you been to Dubrovnik? Yes/no/maybe?

fncyths
04-29-2014, 09:39 AM
faust, go! it's absolutely breathtaking! went years ago with my family. btw - was there some feature on it recently? you're like the 3rd person this week that's brought up going in my media circles...

MaxM
04-29-2014, 09:48 AM
i'm going to kotor, montenegro this summer as i've heard its more beautiful than croatia and way less touristy. also cheaper.

Verdandi
04-29-2014, 09:59 AM

It's beautiful there, but terribly overcrowded during the summer months. At least that's what friends who've been in the last couple of years told me. The last time I went in person was when I was sixteen and that's a long time ago.

Faust
04-29-2014, 10:06 AM
faust, go! it's absolutely breathtaking! went years ago with my family. btw - was there some feature on it recently? you're like the 3rd person this week that's brought up going in my media circles...

Oh, no, it's just it's been on my radar forever because I love all things European and medieval, and finally thought I should do it this summer before Paris men's fashion week.

I know it will be very touristy, c'est la vie.

DRRRK
04-29-2014, 10:27 AM
Tourists anywhere won't shock someone from New York I guess.

interest1
04-29-2014, 11:07 AM

You'll love it, E.

A centuries-old moted fortress city set right up against the Mediterranean. What's not to like?

I went back a few years ago. Here are a few snaps I took:

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Dub2_zps84cb2f96.jpg~original

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Dub3_zps065e08b8.jpg~original

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Dub4_zpsc8c08c86.jpg~original

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Dub5_zpsf8ea5fa0.jpg~original

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Dub6_zps361e8910.jpg~original

I didn't take this last one, but an aerial view of Dubrovnik is a must.

http://i922.photobucket.com/albums/ad66/bruise_beautiful/Dub1_zps2bc0d0aa.jpg~original

Be still, my heart.

Faust
04-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Damn, how do you say no to that?!

Eisenbaum
04-29-2014, 12:49 PM
That looks amazing!

Has anyone been to Greece since the start of the debt crisis? I assume the more tourist-y spots remain unaffected since that's a large source of income for the country.

eleves
04-30-2014, 10:09 PM
That looks amazing!

Has anyone been to Greece since the start of the debt crisis? I assume the more tourist-y spots remain unaffected since that's a large source of income for the country.

I have been looking forward to going to Greece for so long and I'd even bet that the tourist-y spots are better and MORE welcoming now that the debt crisis started. On another note, I heard that I haven't had seafood until I get it from Greece.

rickandjulius
05-01-2014, 12:45 AM
Going to either Chicago or Seattle/Vancouver over the summer. Really hoping for Chicago as I really want to check out Gallery Aesthete. Other than Totokaelo, what are some cool places to shop in Seattle/Vancouver?

But aside from fashion, I'm super excited to go to some baseball games. If I wasn't in college right now I would do a summer long baseball road trip. Only been to Tropicana Field (Go Rays) and Shea Stadium so I'm slacking mad hard on my Ballpark bucket list.

Faust
05-01-2014, 08:46 AM
I love Chicago. Amazing modernist architecture, fantastic food that's cheaper than in NYC, pleasant people. [thumbup]

Gallery Aesthete is a winner and Blake (for women) is probably a better store than anything New York could possibly offer.

rider
07-03-2014, 10:56 PM
I'll be heading to Chicago mid august. Looking for recommendations for a nice cultural hotel experience (on the magnificent mile, I've been told). Fine food, beer and wine are important. I've been told as corny as it sounds to take a river cruise. Will be jumping over the lake to visit my new filly in Michigan as well, but Chicago will be place my husband will want to delve into.

Guide me folks. I would love the know the top shelf and side door places.
Thanks.

Faust
07-04-2014, 05:29 AM
I was going to write, I LOVE CHICAGO! but then I looked at the post above yours.

If you are willing to splurge on the hotel, I recommend The Public. It's on the Gold Coast, so it's next to the magnificent mile but in a green, charming neighborhood and out of the way of the hubbub while being walking distance to it. Their in-house restaurant, The Pump Room is fantastic. I have a feeling it's a Jean-Georgs restaurant, because their burger has identical ingredients to the one at ABC Kitchen in NYC (except that it's better), but for some reason I could not verify this on the internet.

And, yes, do absolutely take the boat tour but make sure it's the one given by Chicago Architectural foundation and not by one of the numerous Joey Guacamoles you find on the marine peer.

For views, there is the rooftop bar of the building whose name I forget - it's a black glass tower at the end of the magnificent mile closer to the Gold Coast.

Shopping (first!) - You should visit Gallery Aesthete regardless of the fact that it's a mens store just to see the interior and the clothes. It's a fantastic, well-curated store. You can pick up a mad et len candle there or an issue of StyleZeitgeist magazine or a Faliero Sarti scarf. Just tell them you are an SZ member - we are like family.

Ikram - obviously, because it's such a psychedelic experience. It's a garish red lacquer box with customer service stuck in the 90s Barneys mode. If you can put some philosophical distance between you and the shop, you will find it amusing. But they have some crazy shit in there if you are willing to deal with Century21 style of merchandizing.

Blake - fantastic shop with more Dries Van Noten than Barneys on Madison has, and many other good labels. Absolutely a must for you (and anyone else).

You can skip all of the department stores in Chicago - they are downright awful vanilla.

The bellow food recommendations assume that you have a car, because Chicago is actually a pain in the ass to get around on public transport:

Seafood - GT Fish & Oyster
Meat - Longman & Eagle
Meat - Au Cheval
Coffee - Intelligentsia

And if you need an emergency lunch, believe it or not, the ramen counter at the Macy's food court!

rider
07-04-2014, 07:08 AM
I was going to write, I LOVE CHICAGO! but then I looked at the post above yours.

If you are willing to splurge on the hotel, I recommend The Public. It's on the Gold Coast, so it's next to the magnificent mile but in a green, charming neighborhood and out of the way of the hubbub while being walking distance to it. Their in-house restaurant, The Pump Room is fantastic. I have a feeling it's a Jean-Georgs restaurant, because their burger has identical ingredients to the one at ABC Kitchen in NYC (except that it's better), but for some reason I could not verify this on the internet.

And, yes, do absolutely take the boat tour but make sure it's the one given by Chicago Architectural foundation and not by one of the numerous Joey Guacamoles you find on the marine peer.

For views, there is the rooftop bar of the building whose name I forget - it's a black glass tower at the end of the magnificent mile closer to the Gold Coast.

Shopping (first!) - You should visit Gallery Aesthete regardless of the fact that it's a mens store just to see the interior and the clothes. It's a fantastic, well-curated store. You can pick up a mad et len candle there or an issue of StyleZeitgeist magazine or a Faliero Sarti scarf. Just tell them you are an SZ member - we are like family.

Ikram - obviously, because it's such a psychedelic experience. It's a garish red lacquer box with customer service stuck in the 90s Barneys mode. If you can put some philosophical distance between you and the shop, you will find it amusing. But they have some crazy shit in there if you are willing to deal with Century21 style of merchandizing.

Blake - fantastic shop with more Dries Van Noten than Barneys on Madison has, and many other good labels. Absolutely a must for you (and anyone else).

You can skip all of the department stores in Chicago - they are downright awful vanilla.

The bellow food recommendations assume that you have a car, because Chicago is actually a pain in the ass to get around on public transport:

Seafood - GT Fish & Oyster
Meat - Longman & Eagle
Meat - Au Cheval
Coffee - Intelligentsia

And if you need an emergency lunch, believe it or not, the ramen counter at the Macy's food court!

This is a fantastic guide, thank you for taking the time to write it.
The Public is exactly the type of hotel I was hoping to stay at.
I was there many moons ago but stayed in a friends brownstone in the theatre district so I wanted to delve into the heart of Chicago this time around. I remember the water and the bridges most of all. I remember a cool zoo too. I have to convince my husband to let me go to Blake by finding him good beer and a trip to Wrigley field in return.

Cheers.

Picasso
07-04-2014, 08:29 AM
S/O to the Macy's food court. It kept me fed every day when I was taking courses downtown.

Rider you should check out wrigley at night. That's if your into the whole bar thing

Faust
08-06-2014, 02:03 PM
Copenhagen is fucking expensive. That is all.

Shucks
08-06-2014, 03:30 PM
we'll do it on the cheap next time. it can be done. no design stores.

dji
08-06-2014, 04:37 PM
visiting Chicago over the Labor Day long weekend and was hoping for recommendations on where to eat. so far on my list is:
- The Slurping Turtle
- Au Cheval (maybe for brunch?)
- The Girl and the Goat

was considering Next but not sure if it (or any of the other higher end restaurants in Chicago) are worth the difficulty in acquiring a reservation. the missus is not a big fan of drawn out degustation menus as we've been disappointed more than a few times by well regarded restaurants in the States (Eleven in NYC was probably the biggest let down).

also got a weekend in Montreal coming up, booked Liverpool House for dinner but lunch/brunch opinions would be appreciated!

Faust
08-07-2014, 04:43 AM
we'll do it on the cheap next time. it can be done. no design stores.

Well, the Verheyden would've been more expensive in the US regardless, so that's good, but next time - walking and eating sandwiches. [thumbup]

Faust
08-07-2014, 04:45 AM
visiting Chicago over the Labor Day long weekend and was hoping for recommendations on where to eat. so far on my list is:
- The Slurping Turtle
- The Girl and the Goat

was considering Next but not sure if it (or any of the other higher end restaurants in Chicago) are worth the difficulty in acquiring a reservation. the missus is not a big fan of drawn out degustation menus as we've been disappointed more than a few times by well regarded restaurants in the States (Eleven in NYC was probably the biggest let down).

also got a weekend in Montreal coming up, booked Liverpool House for dinner but lunch/brunch opinions would be appreciated!

Au Cheval for brunch for sure - go either early or late or you will stand an hour in line. I'd pick Longman and Eagle over Au Cheval though (but same story with waiting). Waiting is fine though, as they will take your cell and you can just stroll around the hood and get a coffee. I also don't care for food-as-art places - go to Blackbird instead maybe?

And of course you must go to Gallery Aesthete!

DudleyGray
08-07-2014, 08:37 AM
- The Slurping Turtle
- The Girl and the Goat

Haha, I've went to all three of these places on various trips. I'd recommend them all. I also have had good experiences at The Publican, Avec, and Smoque.

dji
08-08-2014, 09:48 AM
thanks guys, Blackbird and Avec look like winners. Longman and Eagle looks great too but it's a bit of a schlep from the magnificent mile for brunch.

Faust
08-08-2014, 10:34 AM
True. Also, we have a Chicago thread.

gp_
08-11-2014, 12:12 PM
Copenhagen is fucking expensive. That is all.

yeah, its ridiculous... (train especially).

iceland is wonderful; depending on how you see it, it can feel like a diff. planet (highly recommend renting a car and driving the country)

galia
09-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi ! I'm going to Beijing in about a month. I'll be with chinese people / people who know the city very well. But do you have any suggestions of must do / see things for a first time visitor ?
Thanks !

TheNotoriousT
12-13-2014, 02:14 PM
I need some hotel recommendations for vienna. Nothing fancy or too expensive please.
Thanks.

dream
12-16-2014, 09:32 PM
I need some hotel recommendations for vienna. Nothing fancy or too expensive please.
Thanks.

stayed here last year. it's just a train ride away from center of Vienna. nice rooms, bar and restaurant on the roof and good prices.

http://www.25hours-hotels.com/de/museumsquartier/home/home.html

gregor
12-17-2014, 02:35 AM
Hi ! I'm going to Beijing in about a month. I'll be with chinese people / people who know the city very well. But do you have any suggestions of must do / see things for a first time visitor ?
Thanks !

well, of course the eats are bar none. jin yaa tang is very good for peking duck, though of course some of the best food is in the no-name hutongs. also be sure to check around sanlitun in general, as the bar street is awesome and the shopping is very good, albeit expensive

gregor
12-17-2014, 02:37 AM
incidentally, i'm going to be stuck in doha for a few hours on my flight to colombo in a few weeks; never been outside the airport there, is it even worth it?

galia
12-17-2014, 05:29 AM
well, of course the eats are bar none. jin yaa tang is very good for peking duck, though of course some of the best food is in the no-name hutongs. also be sure to check around sanlitun in general, as the bar street is awesome and the shopping is very good, albeit expensive

Way too late, but thanks anyway !
We were staying near Gulou Dong, which I quite liked, and ate in many delicious restaurants that I can't remember the name of now.

gregor
12-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Way too late, but thanks anyway !
We were staying near Gulou Dong, which I quite liked, and ate in many delicious restaurants that I can't remember the name of now.

didn't see the date [blush]

glad you had fun though, it's quite an incredible city

arc
12-18-2014, 02:05 AM
Going to Amsterdam for New Year Eve and then to Ghent, Antwerp. Any suggestion on must do/eat/see? Thanks.

Faust
12-18-2014, 09:33 AM
Going to Amsterdam for New Year Eve and then to Ghent, Antwerp. Any suggestion on must do/eat/see? Thanks.

ANTWERP (http://www.sz-mag.com/news/2013/10/the-new-antwerp-shopping-guide/). In general, search this site and you will find plenty of info.

Faust
12-23-2014, 09:22 AM
So, I have 5 days (technically 4 if I exclude travel) between Florence and Paris mid-January. Where should I travel to? I have covered most of Europe. I am thinking Munich - never been. Is there anything else in the vicinity worth visiting besides the city itself?

Faust
07-28-2015, 11:37 AM
Never really used a travel guide, but thinking I might for Tokyo. All I have seen on the Internet so far is kind of standard issue generic tourist crap. What are your opinions of the Monocle guides? What about the Superfuture ones?

fncyths
07-28-2015, 12:07 PM
I like the Monocle Guides. Have about 7 of the Wallpaper* ones as well as the apps and enjoy them to get a general layout of different cities (mainly for architectural significance). I know it helps to have visual representation of where you want to go in Tokyo since it can be a total rats nest to get around.

Tiranis
07-28-2015, 08:50 PM
Never really used a travel guide, but thinking I might for Tokyo. All I have seen on the Internet so far is kind of standard issue generic tourist crap. What are your opinions of the Monocle guides? What about the Superfuture ones?

Superfuture is good for shopping, that's about it. I didn't use mine much. Not sure about the Monocle one. I find the angle of their whole enterprise off-putting though.

I do recommend watching the No Reservations and Parts Unknown (Anthony Bourdain) episodes about Tokyo. They cover a lot more than food.

My one general recommendation: don't just get stuck in Shibuya, Shinjuku and Ginza. Walking around Tokyo is a great way to get to know it. Side streets and lesser known neighbourhoods have a lot of charm to them.

Also, not sure how much you care about food but for me, no trip to Tokyo is complete without some top-notch reservations. A lot of food experiences that you can't really get anywhere else. Beyond the general recommendation of top-tier Sushi, foods like Soba and Tempura can be found at an equally high level.

Out of the more low key places, one of my recommendations would be Fuku Yakitori by Yoyogi-Uehara station. It's not the best yakitori place but reasonably priced, in a cute area and quite possibly one of the friendliest places.

Decently good sushi is available at Yasuda's "new" shop in Tokyo, formerly of the famous Sushi Yasuda in New York. Doesn't rate very highly for me on the food scale but he speaks English fluently and is very eager to converse with his patrons.

jumpoff
07-29-2015, 03:00 PM
FWIW I flipped through the Monocle London guide and that one seemed decent enough, definitely more interesting than the other guide books I've seen. If the Tokyo guide is of similar qualiy, I'm sure it's worth the £10. There is always the Tokyo thread on here for shopping tips.

I haven't been to Tokyo in ages, and things might've changed, but I'd suggest getting some reservations for lunch and do ramen, izakayas, yakitori for dinner. I found the price difference between lunch and dinner at the more expensive restaurants to be bigger than similar places in Europe, and lunch is often surprisingly cheap. Sushi Saito is the obvious suggestion for sushi, but it might already be too late to get a reservation if you are going there soon.

Agree with Tiranis about not getting stuck in Shibuya, Shinjuku and (especially) Ginza. Nakameguro is very charming and accessible. Kichijoji and Jiyugaoka are two other personal favourites of mine. Jiyugaoka has Carrefour (not the French hypermarket) which carries some interesting brands. Devoa used to have a store in Kichijoji, but I have no idea if it's still there.

Faust
07-29-2015, 04:13 PM
Superfuture is good for shopping, that's about it. I didn't use mine much. Not sure about the Monocle one. I find the angle of their whole enterprise off-putting though.

Agreed in general, but I imagine for the sheer quality of life level their tourist guides might be good. At least I know there will not be Starbucks recommendations and such. SZ has me covered for clothes shopping - I am more interested in food, museums, galleries, book shops and ceramics.

Thanks for the tips.

Faust
09-17-2015, 04:27 PM
So, I am warming up to the idea of going on a beach vacation (SHOCK!). Where would you go in the Caribbean? The requirements are obvious - no ugly Americans, no families gorging themselves, no cruises, no frat boys, etc.

rider
09-17-2015, 06:41 PM
St. Martin French side or for a more quiet time St. Bart's.

dji
09-18-2015, 12:28 AM
^ of the places I've visited in the Caribbean (one of perks of living on the East Coast) I enjoyed my time on the French side of St Martin the most, very chilled out. very few Americans in general (mostly Europeans, a few Canadians), French food wasn't half bad either. [thumbup]

rider
09-18-2015, 08:13 AM
speaking of travel.
we have plans for two trips and would love some input if anyone is familiar with either destination.
the first is in October to Bethlehem, NH to take in the cooler weather and some fall color. The Adair Inn.
the second is in January for the Cavallino Ferrari Car Show and some horse stuff too. We are staying at the Breakers and I doubt I will go to the car show so other than horses is there anything else that is a must? Food or Galleries?

Arkady
09-18-2015, 10:22 AM
Definitely take a drive / hikes through the White Mountains in New Hampshire -- it'll look absolutely stunning in the Fall. Most of the animals up there don't see people too often so chipmunks run up and eat out of your hand, etc. It's borderline whimsical.

rider
09-18-2015, 10:33 AM
yes, thanks. we are staying in the heart of the white mountains for just the reasons youve listed. I've never been before and have heard how magical it is. I got a room with a deck in the tree tops, its seemed like a good idea.

i hope to see a moose or two.

Arkady
09-18-2015, 10:44 AM
You will, my uncle hit one with his truck the second we moved there. Feasted for months.

rider
09-18-2015, 10:51 AM
great. not quite the response I was going for...but at least I know the food is good.

Faust
10-20-2015, 03:32 PM
Anyone from Atlanta here? Is there anything to check out while there?

fncyths
10-21-2015, 02:01 PM
Little 5 Points was a fun spot to good thrifting, record / vintage shopping in about 10+ years ago.

If you eat meat the chicken biscuits from Homegrown are amazing.

Killer hip-hop / trap clubs to check out. Might not be up your alley though [tongue]

have fun (http://www.thisismysouth.com/2014/06/23/guide-atlantas-hipster-neighborhoods/)...

fncyths
10-21-2015, 02:27 PM
speaking of travel.
we have plans for two trips and would love some input if anyone is familiar with either destination.
the first is in October to Bethlehem, NH to take in the cooler weather and some fall color. The Adair Inn.
the second is in January for the Cavallino Ferrari Car Show and some horse stuff too. We are staying at the Breakers and I doubt I will go to the car show so other than horses is there anything else that is a must? Food or Galleries?

not sure if this is too late but hiked Mt. Washington and Mt. Adams this Spring. The drive up to Mt. Washington is beautiful. Hiked up to Cotter Notch and spent a few days back packing on the Appalachian Trail. Wearing Harnden and Guidi. The way it's meant to be worn [tongue]

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o499/jmscrmwllhldn/Team%20America/IMG_2073_zpsohqnoug0.jpg

http://i1144.photobucket.com/albums/o499/jmscrmwllhldn/Team%20America/IMG_2088_zpschcf52ss.jpg

gregor
10-23-2015, 08:01 AM
the one in bc? something tells me no, but considering there's another mt adams in close proximity, i might as well ask [tongue]

spent far too many summers there growing up on the island, amazing place.

Faust
11-06-2015, 07:51 AM
Anyone from Atlanta here? Is there anything to check out while there?

Anyone?

fncyths
11-06-2015, 09:38 AM
I spent my adolescent years in Charlotte and would frequent Atlanta. We would go to little 5 points and thrift at cute little vintage shops. Haven't been back in years. The chicken biscuits at Homegrown are amazing (http://www.thisismysouth.com/2014/06/23/guide-atlantas-hipster-neighborhoods/)! If you want to booty bounce at some trap club with IVH then by all means, have at it (http://www.vice.com/read/known-zones-0000575-v22n2) [lol] [lol]

rider
11-06-2015, 02:33 PM
Anyone?

you going to hate it.
maybe the Aquarium? Its a great one.

morsto
11-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Faust I was there last week and everyone I spoke to just said to see the aquarium and the coke museum (I saw neither). Restaurants I can recommend The Optimist, seafood place which I thought was excellent and with the best bar I came across there. I also went to Bones which is apparently the best or one of the best steakhouses there but it was kinda stiff and not overwhelming at all. Otherwise I heard great things of the restaurant Gunshow but couldn't get a table.

CAD
11-09-2015, 09:16 AM
hi
i'm staying in Lisbon this week: any advice?

thank you

rider
11-10-2015, 01:34 PM
hi
i'm staying in Lisbon this week: any advice?

thank you

I'm not sure how far this is (https://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/recreation-and-leisure/equestrian-shows/) from where you are staying but the Portuguese Riding School is fascinating both for its historical significance and for the sheer beauty of the Lusitanos.

skullkid
11-10-2015, 09:36 PM
hello, anyone has travel experience to Bangkok?

thank in advance

sshum88
11-11-2015, 07:10 AM
What do you want to know? I've been to Bangkok, Phuket and some of the surrounding areas. Wish I had made it up to Chiang Mai.

hello, anyone has travel experience to Bangkok?

CAD
11-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Thank you rider

That was wonderful!
I was also so touched by Siza's intervention in Chiado.
Great wheather and peaceful city.

I'm not sure how far this is (https://www.parquesdesintra.pt/en/recreation-and-leisure/equestrian-shows/) from where you are staying but the Portuguese Riding School is fascinating both for its historical significance and for the sheer beauty of the Lusitanos.

skullkid
11-13-2015, 07:01 PM
What do you want to know? I've been to Bangkok, Phuket and some of the surrounding areas. Wish I had made it up to Chiang Mai.

just the usual resturants, shopping tips.. thanks in advance

Faust
11-20-2015, 11:16 AM
What should I do in Detroit tomorrow?

Faust
11-24-2015, 08:29 AM
Are there any SZers from Barcelona here? I am considering visiting in January. Would like to get some recommendations or even meet up.

bukka
11-24-2015, 10:47 AM
Are there any SZers from Barcelona here? I am considering visiting in January. Would like to get some recommendations or even meet up.

Might be there in January, keep me posted once you schedule your flight[thumbup]
As for recommandations, what kind? Shops? Restaurants? Sightseeing?

Faust
11-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Might be there in January, keep me posted once you schedule your flight[thumbup]
As for recommandations, what kind? Shops? Restaurants? Sightseeing?

Everything, I guess :-) Maybe not clothes shopping, per se. But I don't know what Barcelona is famous for except food and leather, and I definitely have enough leather.

I'll keep you posted. Would be fun to hang out.

bukka
11-24-2015, 03:25 PM
All right, here is some addresses to know for restaurants:

Japanese:
Shunka, probably the best one, expect 150€ pp
Ikibana, japanese mixed with brazilian, I heard very good things abt it. And it's waaaaay cheaper than Shunka.
The ones from Nomo Group: Nomo and Umo (Umo has a very fresh local eel).

For more "typical" mediterranean food, you might want to try:
Bon Estar, they have a really good black rice.
Fragments café is a tiny restaurant which makes the best patatas bravas I've ever had.
Tickets, it's the tapas bar by Ferran Adria (ex-owner of El Bulli)

Little Bacoa has some gourmet burger in case you're suddenly nostalgic of the US[lol]

If you want to go really big, and don't mind the $$$:
Carme Ruscalleda, a bit outside Barcelona, she's the boss of the region with Adria, expect 200€ pp for a degustation menu
celler de Can Roca, most famous, hardest to get a reservation probably, but that's very best (was best worldwide two years ago). You might want to book now if you want to have a chance.

I hope this can help[thumbup]

t3hg0suazn
11-24-2015, 08:53 PM
I would recommend going to all of the Gaudi works in the city. My favorite is probably Park Guell but they all have different aspects that make them unique.
The Museu Picasso also really increased my appreciation for his work (I was not a big fan before) - it's arranged in chronological order so you can see his development as an artist.
Might be inaccurate since I'd never had real paella before this, but I went to a randomly recommended neighborhood restaurant and got an amazing paella...after waiting 30-45 minutes for it to cook.

Fuuma
11-25-2015, 06:47 AM
All right, here is some addresses to know for restaurants:

Japanese:
Shunka, probably the best one, expect 150€ pp
Ikibana, japanese mixed with brazilian, I heard very good things abt it. And it's waaaaay cheaper than Shunka.
The ones from Nomo Group: Nomo and Umo (Umo has a very fresh local eel).

For more "typical" mediterranean food, you might want to try:
Bon Estar, they have a really good black rice.
Fragments café is a tiny restaurant which makes the best patatas bravas I've ever had.
Tickets, it's the tapas bar by Ferran Adria (ex-owner of El Bulli)

Little Bacoa has some gourmet burger in case you're suddenly nostalgic of the US[lol]

If you want to go really big, and don't mind the $$$:
Carme Ruscalleda, a bit outside Barcelona, she's the boss of the region with Adria, expect 200€ pp for a degustation menu
celler de Can Roca, most famous, hardest to get a reservation probably, but that's very best (was best worldwide two years ago). You might want to book now if you want to have a chance.

I hope this can help[thumbup]

Which sushi place offers "Mediterranean" sushi and has a nice wine list? Forgot the name but it is def a must. Maybe I'm not a pure sushi guy though, tend to prefer other SE Asian cuisine to Japanese. Had some Vietnamese salted snails yerterday [thumbup]

bukka
11-25-2015, 06:51 AM
Which sushi place offers "Mediterranean" sushi and has a nice wine list? Forgot the name but it is def a must. Maybe I'm not a pure sushi guy though, tend to prefer other SE Asian cuisine to Japanese. Had some Vietnamese salted snails yerterday [thumbup]

Doesn't ring a bell right now, but I'll ask around and get back to you[thumbup]

MarlonLima
11-26-2015, 08:24 AM
y'all should come to amsterdam men!!!

dji
11-30-2015, 10:02 PM

was not blown away by anything we ate in Barcelona (Madrid on the other hand..). Montserrat is worth a day trip if you want a break from the city.

ronin
12-03-2015, 05:19 AM
Not really food, but if you're interested in wine, you should pay a visit to La Vinicola while in Barcelona. They have a pretty nice selection, both careful and wide, including some hard-to-come-by, top-tier Catalan wines, but also some rare French wines (Michael Georget is a personal favourite).

rider
12-04-2015, 02:13 PM
I would recommend going to all of the Gaudi works in the city. My favorite is probably Park Guell but they all have different aspects that make them unique.
The Museu Picasso also really increased my appreciation for his work (I was not a big fan before) - it's arranged in chronological order so you can see his development as an artist.
Might be inaccurate since I'd never had real paella before this, but I went to a randomly recommended neighborhood restaurant and got an amazing paella...after waiting 30-45 minutes for it to cook.

I second everything written here, I did the exact same things, which was oddly weird to read...my only addition is to walk late at night and enjoy the street music, much of it was classical and well above average. I also vaguely remember getting lost one day and ending up at a zoo.

bring patience, not many speak or understand English.

gawkrodger
12-30-2015, 10:49 PM
I'm here for a few days. Any recommendations for, well anything.

I'm guessing eating is the best thing to do whilst here!

jurassicsnark
01-03-2016, 05:27 PM
Looks like it's been a few years since Helsinki came up. Any new info? I am going in March. Also looking for recommendations for a short trip (2-3 days) outside of Helsinki — any gems nearby?

Thanks!

Faust
01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
Looks like it's been a few years since Helsinki came up. Any new info? I am going in March. Also looking for recommendations for a short trip (2-3 days) outside of Helsinki — any gems nearby?

Thanks!

Wait till they get their Guggenheim? [tongue]

March is not too late to go up to Lapland if you are feeling adventurous. It's a long drive though - people don't realize that but Finland is a fairly big (long) country.

Finland is wonderful if you are into nature, but I'm at a loss to recommend another city besides Helsinki (though lowrey may never speak to me again after that comment [lol]). The Koli natural mountain preserve is wonderful for hiking - it's in Karelia, close to the Russian border. Never really been, but the archipelago in lowrey's neck of the woods is supposed to be amazing.

Let me know if you need Helsinki recommendations, besides Seven.

jurassicsnark
01-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Let me know if you need Helsinki recommendations, besides Seven.

Yeah, I'd love some. I'll be there for a week for work, so lodging and stuff is already set, but any info on shopping, eating, seeing would be appreciated.

I am actually considering a trek up to Lapland or somewhere that I have a chance to see the Aurora... But I'd also be interested in other small side trips.

round
01-04-2016, 08:24 AM
Going to Las Vegas and Los Angeles in the upcoming month, any recommendations on what to see/where to go while I am there, provided I can take some time away from what I need to do to visit said places.

Faust
01-04-2016, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I'd love some. I'll be there for a week for work, so lodging and stuff is already set, but any info on shopping, eating, seeing would be appreciated.

I am actually considering a trek up to Lapland or somewhere that I have a chance to see the Aurora... But I'd also be interested in other small side trips.

The best restaurant in Helsinki is Chef & Sommelier. Reserve well in advance. Pri-fix only and dinner only, but damn worth it. Michelin star for a reason.

http://www.chefetsommelier.fi

If you are on an expense account, go to Savoy - power dining, if there is such a thing in the very democratic Finland, at its best. The restaurant was designed by Alvar Aalto from top to bottom. Expensive.

Other restaurants I liked - SushiBar+Wine for sushi.
Ekberg bakery for bread, sandwiches, sweets, and a slice of old life. It's a time machine that will take you back fifty years (or a hundred).

Best coffee is at La Torrefazione. It's an offshoot of the local roastery, Kaffa, but for some reason they do a better job than its main shop. Tip: beware of milk in Finland. Not sure what's going on there, but half the country is lactose-intolerant, and I felt the difference in my stomach.

Another great coffee spot is a Swedish offshoot, Johan & Nostrum

http://johanochnystrom.se/en/

It's also in a very lovely spot, on the waterfront at the base of the INCREDIBLE Russian Orthodox cathedral, which is a must-see. If you are vegan, they are famous for their vegan deserts. In general, Helsinki is very vegetarian friendly.

The best deli shopping is inside the main department store, Stockmann (also the best bookstore is theirs). Another great little upscale deli is Anton & Anton - they recently opened a branch next to one of the loveliest Helsinki streets, Korkeavuorenkatu, which is worth a stroll.

One thing Helsinki has not done yet is proper brunch. I also wouldn't know where to send you for drinks, actually.

Shopping for clothing is scarce in Helsinki. Finns in general live modestly and prefer to spend their money elsewhere. I suggest buying some kitchen wares from Iittala instead. Also stop in the Artek store for iconic Finnish design and overpriced Aesop :-)

Overall, Helsinki is enjoyed best if you are into walking. The long waterfront and a myriad of parks are really its draw.

Pretty much everyone speaks English, so no need to fear being lost or misunderstood.

jurassicsnark
01-05-2016, 07:00 AM
Overall, Helsinki is enjoyed best if you are into walking. The long waterfront and a myriad of parks are really its draw.

Thank you for the great tips! I will add them all to the Google Map I am making. And I do love walking, especially when it's cold, so I'll bring a lot of layers and plan to stroll.

Any great museums?