Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howard Socol to resign from Barneys, citing disagreement with the new owners.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Howard Socol to resign from Barneys, citing disagreement with the new owners.

Wow....

From NYT

The Chief of Barneys Is Expected to Resign

Howard Socol, the chief executive of Barneys New York,
    who restored the company?s stature after it fell into bankruptcy in the
    1990s, has told colleagues he intends to resign, according to people
    knowledgeable about the situation.

The people, speaking on the condition of anonymity because Mr. Socol
    was still completing his plans, said he might announce his resignation
    as early as next week. They said that Mr. Socol had disagreed sharply
    with the new owners of the chain over its strategy, especially plans to
    expand the Barneys name overseas.

Barneys, considered the trophy store for premier fashion labels like Lanvin, Prada and Giorgio Armani,
    was sold to Istithmar, the investment arm of the Dubai government, for
    $942 million in August by the clothing maker Jones Apparel.

The latest transition of ownership had appeared to be running
    smoothly, at least publicly. But Mr. Socol, 62, had begun to complain
    to associates about Istithmar?s desire to open more Barneys stores in
    international markets and how those stores would be operated.

?The frustration level was pretty high,? said a person familiar with Mr. Socol?s thinking.

Dawn Brown, a vice president and spokeswoman for Barneys, said the
    company had no comment. Representatives of Istithmar did not return
    multiple phone calls and e-mail messages on Friday.

International expansion has proved a challenge for many American
    luxury brands, which must confront a patchwork of foreign regulations
    that they fear will hamper their business. Sometimes they are required
    to take on local business partners and give up some control, tricky
    terrain for retailers whose brand image is the core of their business.

Mr. Socol had agreed to remain with Barneys after the sale, but the
    contract that he signed last June included an option for him to leave
    if he chose, according to two executives at Barneys. As of Friday, the
    timing of his departure was unclear.

Since Istithmar emerged as the victor in a bidding war last summer,
    Barneys has been more aggressive in its pursuit of hot designer
    exclusives and regained some of the irreverent, experimental attitude
    that once made the store seem so hip.

Last year, Barneys began carrying a lower-priced collection designed
    by the model Kate Moss, and on Friday, Barneys introduced perhaps its
    most controversial marketing strategy in years by selling an
    ultra-cheap line of fashion made for Target.

While it is a temporary promotion, carrying the Target clothes,
    priced from $15 to $45, and putting Target?s red bull?s-eye logo in its
    windows along Madison Avenue has caused perplexed reactions among some
    consumers and retail analysts, who are more accustomed to Barneys as
    the exclusive domain of $6,945 Balenciaga boots.

Several store executives said this week that the weak economy had
    taken a toll on the luxury business and that sales had been much weaker
    than they had anticipated. It was unclear what role, if any, these
    problems might have played in Mr. Socol?s decision.

Aside from New York, Barneys also has major stores in Beverly Hills,
    Chicago and five other markets, and more than a dozen denim- and
    trend-focused Co-Op stores around the country.

Since the company emerged from a three-year bankruptcy in 1999, it
    has slowly returned to profitability and has recovered from its
    crippling debt burden of more than $100 million, which was caused by
    the nationwide expansion. That included the opening of its most famous
    and extravagant store on Madison Avenue in 1993.

The company?s reputation was damaged by the bankruptcy, and many
    customers who were loyal to the 85-year-old store were upset when
    Barneys closed its original quirky flagship store in Chelsea, on
    Seventh Avenue and West 17th Street, in 1997.

Mr. Socol, an accomplished retail executive who had led the regional
    Burdines department store chain until 1997, joined Barneys in 2001 at
    the recommendation of Allen I. Questrom, whom he succeeded.

Under Mr. Socol?s direction, Barneys took a two-tiered approach to
    recapturing the glory of its designer business. The company raced to
    land exclusives with the hot labels of the moment, for example, by
    giving early support to the label Proenza Schouler and by creating an
    in-store boutique for the French luggage maker Goyard.

At the same time, it capitalized on the growth of the contemporary
    market for slightly lower-priced fashion and denim labels. As some of
    its competitors held onto aging midpriced labels, Barneys drew more
    customers with $200 jeans, spinoff sportswear lines and
    younger-trending designers like James Perse, Earnest Sewn and Rag and
    Bone.

Though the chain does not release financial results, Mr. Socol?s
    two-pronged strategy is widely perceived to have worked, propelling
    Barneys back to the pinnacle of fashion retailing.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Re: Howard Socol to resign from Barneys, citing disagreement with the new owners.

I wondered if something like this was going to happen. Guess it's rather inevitable when new owners come into the picture and want to expand the company.

Wonder where they wanted to open a Barneys?

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Re: Howard Socol to resign from Barneys, citing disagreement with the new owners.

Oh, I am positive they would want it all over Dubai, and probably in London too. I wonder what the exactly the problem was, but I wouldn't be surprised if they just want to brand the shit out of it, even though it's branded enough.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
        • Dec 2006

I think that's one of the problems. I also read that it is really hard for a company out of the US to start opening internationally.

Dubai was my first thought too, which, it might actually be a good place to open. But yea, if they want to open 10 Barneys in the near future....That may be a little much.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I wouldn't be surprised if Sokol's concern is overexpansion. It already nearly killed Barneys once, and it turned Saks from a venerable department store into a mall for soccer moms and their little brittneys and christinas (oh, and nearly killed it too - they had to close like 50 stores or something - I'm sure yousuck knows more).

Dubai would be a good option because of the whole Sex and the City thing, but you can bet that it would a boring outpost. London on the other hand seems like a great option, although the retail scene there seems really saturated. Brand name is a brand name though - Dover Street Market seems to be doing just fine.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

A Dubai Barneys would be a boring a outpost but I also still wonder to this day why IF opened a boutique out there and if it's doing well?

Even Hong Kong would maybe be a good place to look but I just can't see it making sense at opening 2-3 more Barneys around the globe. Because like you said, you don't want it to turn into that department store this is 'a department store'.

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

IF's boutique is in Beirut. A great place to be, because they got the whole live-for-today thing pat down, which is conducive to shopping.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• iSuck
                • Mar 2008

A few years ago Saks closed I want to say 7-10 of their Resort/C Level stores. Part of it was over-expansion and part of it was just Saks in general that had lost it's voice and customer. It was trying to capture a young, contemporary customer who didn'twant to shop there as they were not hip enough and then they lost their classic customer as they tried to become too trend driven and stopped offering their house brand among other things.

Saks has opened up in Dubai and Mexico City and will soon to have a store in Shanghai (all of them are partnerships/licenses with other retailers in those countries) and are also thinking about Russia. I'm sure Barneys would have the same game plan.

Harvey Nichols already has stores in Dubai, Istanbul, Hong Kong and Riyadh.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

Cas, IF is owned by a woman named Maya Shehadeh and her family actually opened the first IF boutique in Beirut in the 70's, sometime before the NYC store. So they have roots in that part of the world. [75]
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks, yousuck. HN, ehh, that store blows. It was supposed to be the English Barneys, but it went bland in no time.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

[quote user="laika"]Cas, IF is owned by a woman named Maya Shehadeh and her family actually opened the first IF boutique in Beirut in the 70's, sometime before the NYC store. So they have roots in that part of the world. [75]
                      [/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up! I had no clue.

I did really like the store in NY, one of my more favorite places I visited. (store wise)

Comment

• laika
                        • Sep 2006

^you're welcome! I agree, IF is the best. Philip--the guy who looks like an Andy Warhol blow-up doll--is my fave SA in the city. Super knowledgeable and helpful, and always willing to give a very honest opinion. [73]
                        ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• Seventh
                          • Dec 2006

Interesting, thanks for posting Faust. How do you think this will effect the purchasing decisions of the NYC Barneys over the short term (next 3-5 years)? My limited understanding was that Barneys was doing well, it seems strange that the new owners want to change a good/profitable thing?

Slightly off topic, but are there examples of expansion that have done well? Other than CDG guerrilla stores/DSM, I can' t think of many...

[quote user="Faust"]

I wouldn't be surprised if Sokol's concern is overexpansion. It already nearly killed Barneys once, and it turned Saks from a venerable department store into a mall for soccer moms and their little brittneys and christinas (oh, and nearly killed it too - they had to close like 50 stores or something - I'm sure yousuck knows more).

Dubai would be a good option because of the whole Sex and the City thing, but you can bet that it would a boring outpost. London on the other hand seems like a great option, although the retail scene there seems really saturated. Brand name is a brand name though - Dover Street Market seems to be doing just fine.

[/quote]

Comment

• deleuze
                            • Jul 2007

There is an IF in Dubai also http://www.ameinfo.com/117272.html

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Seventh"]

Interesting, thanks for posting Faust. How do you think this will effect the purchasing decisions of the NYC Barneys over the short term (next 3-5 years)? My limited understanding was that Barneys was doing well, it seems strange that the new owners want to change a good/profitable thing?

Slightly off topic, but are there examples of expansion that have done well? Other than CDG guerrilla stores/DSM, I can' t think of many...

[quote user="Faust"]

[/quote][/quote]

I don't know, Casey - one can only guess. The most obvious guess would be is that their buying will become blander? But who knows, maybe there is nothing to it. I am not sure what you mean by your last question - expansion and overexpansion are two different things. Sure, there is a myriad of successful expansions.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎