• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Sonia Rykiel closes Its Menswear Business

Yes, there is a fledging French designer called Sonia Rykiel, and yes she did menswear. I wonder why some of these French houses never even register on the American radar. Sonia Rykiel was one of them, Nina Ricci is another, Gaultier's reception has been lukewarm as well. Is it lack of marketing? Bad coverage?

Sonia Rykiel to Close Men?s Business

By Emilie Marsh

Sonia Rykiel is closing its men?s wear business after nearly two decades of losses.

The French designer launched Rykiel Homme 18 years ago but the men?s
    line has never generated a profit ? in part due to difficulty in
    capitalizing on high-growth international markets.

Despite being present in over 33 countries via 150 points of sales in
    Europe, Russia and the Middle East, Rykiel Homme generated 78 percent
    of sales in France.

The division contributed 5 percent of Sonia Rykiel total revenues,
    which in 2007 stood at more than 102 million euros or $158.6 million.

?We are a family run business and we wish to remain so?thus the
    decision to focus on our core business which is women,? explained
    Nathalie Rykiel, Sonia Rykiel?s daughter and president of the fashion
    house.

Rykiel Homme will show its final summer 09 collection at a presentation during Paris fashion week later this month.

The temporary store in Paris will close in January 2009.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

Re: Sonia Rykiel closes Its Menswear Business

I followed her runway shows but never saw a single thing for men in person in the U.S. I thought it was pretty good, the knits looked especially nice. Always sad when another brand hits the dust (unless it's KVA of course).
    music

Comment

• Yan
      • Mar 2008

In order to prosper selling mens design in the current market I think you either have to achieve cult status via forums like sz, the backing of a very large group with deep editorial and advertising pockets or have chav status. It is understandable that brands that dont fall into the above should flounder. When brands do not invoke excitement or a tribal following like Rykiel I cant see where the market is.

On the other hand it is great that the brands such as Ann Hagen can achieve status on sz and who knows, that may help in the future of that brand.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Yan"]

In order to prosper selling mens design in the current market I think you either have to achieve cult status via forums like sz, the backing of a very large group with deep editorial and advertising pockets or have chav status. It is understandable that brands that dont fall into the above should flounder. When brands do not invoke excitement or a tribal following like Rykiel I cant see where the market is.

On the other hand it is great that the brands such as Ann Hagen can achieve status on sz and who knows, that may help in the future of that brand.

[/quote]

I want commission, yo! From Damir Doma, too.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Yan
          • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Yan"]

[/quote]

I want commission, yo! From Damir Doma, too.

[/quote]

You surely dont do it for the money do you Faust????!!!!!!! Also I didnt think you like Damir but I am sure he is grateful for the changing mood within SZ!!!!

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

I surely don't. I was joking. And, yea, not crazy about Damir's clothes, hence I demand the commission in currency. I take commissions from the designers I like in clothes.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Yan
              • Mar 2008

[quote user="Faust"]I surely don't. I was joking. And, yea, not crazy about Damir's clothes, hence I demand the commission in currency. I take commissions from the designers I like in clothes.
              [/quote]

I know you were joking. So was I. Mind you should it not be that the creator receives some recognition from those who benefit?

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

I agree Faust should get commision from Doma. Doesn't he already benefit by virtue of the increased sales?!

I always quite liked the Rykiel Homme knitwear, but not enoughto bu it. This may render me shallow,but I think the men's brand had serious image problems...totally MOR, therefore difficult to generate interest from new customers.

Comment

• Yan
                  • Mar 2008

I meant that Faust was the creator....... hence deserves his tribute from designers SZ promote and help grow

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

/\ damn straight! [86]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎