Lanvin to Open Men?s Store on Savile Row

PARIS
    ? Alber Elbaz?s rejuvenation of Lanvin is spreading further into the
    men?s department, with a new-look store coming to London?s Savile Row
    this fall.

The 1,600-square-foot boutique at 30-32, which will replace an outmoded
    unit on New Bond Street, will showcase the French brand?s runway
    collection, its classic 15 Faubourg line plus made-to-measure, a pillar
    of Lanvin?s men?s wear business since the ?20s.

?Men?s is showing a great dynamic,? said Lanvin president Paul Deneve,
    also disclosing plans to renovate its flagship men?s store here on the
    Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honore.

Renovations, to be done in stages, commenced earlier this week and are
    to be completed by September. Besides a new design concept, the
    6,500-square-foot men?s store will house a VIP room for its bespoke
    clients on the third floor.

Deneve said Lanvin counts some 120 clients for bespoke, with suits
    starting at 5,000 euros and running up to 20,000 euros (or about $7,850
    to $31,400). Men?s wear represented 31 percent of Lanvin?s buinsess
    last year, Deneve said. Lanvin is slated to show its spring/summer 2009
    collection, overseen by Elbaz and designed by Dior Homme alum Lucas
    Ossendrijver, on Sunday at the end of Men?s Fashion Week here.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Lanvin to open a new mens store on Saville Row

[quote user="Faust"]

How dandy!

PARIS
    this fall.

[/quote]

What? What the fuck?

What the fuck suit costs $30k? Show me this suit and I'll show Lanvin and the client my middle finger.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• R.A.
      • Jun 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

What? What the fuck?

What the fuck suit costs $30k? Show me this suit and I'll show Lanvin and the client my middle finger.

[/quote]

The cost probably comes from some expensive fabric. The other tailoring houses on the Row also offer equally expensive suits, but they're more marketing gimmicks.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

ain't no fabric worth anything close to that. Ever. Unless it's done in pure gold thread and nothing else. Sewn by an Apostle's hand.

That's just ridiculous. Honestly. The final product would look practically no different than say a $5k suit.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• R.A.
          • Jun 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

ain't no fabric worth anything close to that. Ever. Unless it's done in pure gold thread and nothing else. Sewn by an Apostle's hand.[/quote]

Scabal will happily make you a suit woven from gold. That fabric is around $8000/yd I think. :P

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"][quote user="Faust"]

How dandy!

PARIS
            this fall.

[/quote]

What? What the fuck?

[/quote]

That's not what I'd show him.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• iSuck
              • Mar 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

ain't no fabric worth anything close to that. Ever. Unless it's done in pure gold thread and nothing else. Sewn by an Apostle's hand.

That's just ridiculous. Honestly. The final product would look practically no different than say a $5k suit.

[/quote]

Vicuna

Comment

• beforehewentmad
                • Apr 2008

Vicuna was also my exact thought. The best quality vicuna is something like $3,000 a yard, and figure if it has a pattern in it you need 6 yards for a suit. 1.25 yards for a vest. 21,750 just for the fabric of a lightly patterned 3 piece suit. Add in tailoring, marketing of Lanvin's label, and the real estate prices of Savile Row and it almost starts to look like a bargain (slight sic).... Personally though, I'd just stick with H. Huntsman for their $4500 before VAT pricing, or a Spencer Hart if I want something a bit more fashion oriented off Savile Row.

Comment

• Avantster
                  ¤¤¤
                  • Sep 2006

Wild camelid fabric or not, I'm sure there will still be people who will buy it just because of the price.
                  let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks Faust, interesting to me anyway.

Albert - what are you on about highlighting the high cost of clothing - seriously!!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Johnny"]

Thanks Faust, interesting to me anyway.

Albert - what are you on about highlighting the high cost of clothing - seriously!!

[/quote]

hahaha, well I mean it takes a LOT for me to balk at high prices... but there are high prices and then theres uber high.

Granted I started to read up on vicuna and I can see what the big deal is in terms of cost so I see where the price tag comes from there, but this is another one of those things that got me thinking again:

Does it JUST so happen that this once endangered animal so closely related to the llama/alpaca has TRULY superior hair? I mean honestly, the combination of it being a scarcer animal, only able to be shaved every few years, with the idea that the hair is "superior". Is it really true?

Quite often in these cases I feel like it's actually hype in the sense that it's an animal that can only have hair harvested so rarely. Blind touch of a vicuna suit versus some other (presumably) soft fabric and you couldn't tell the difference... or you would prefer the less expensive one. This is most likely a case of rarity equating superiority... and I never really liked that concept. There should be something inherently good about the item that MAKES it better... not just because of how it's collected you know?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="wire.artist"]

I guess vicuña is superior not only in terms of softness, also it's lightweight, provides excelent isulation....etc

I find more obnoxius price wise the 1200$ shirt by the cross guy

I'm more offended by the quality/price relation chez H&M, they make more profit for sure....the highest luxury isn't that unfair imo

[/quote]

I agree wire.artists, the MA+ button up at that price was absolutely ridiculous.

The argument against vicuna (I don't have that tilda over my N hehe) is that... how very coincidental that its got all of these "superior" qualities. Its impossible that there is no other hair/fur out there that does not match it and at a significantly lower price.

I guess what I'm saying is that Vicuna is hype. Pure and simple.

I remember a museum curator once remarking that the more difficult something is to come by, the more people want it and will pay a premium for it even if it objectively is mediocre. If Vicunas were suddenly as common as it's related 4 legged brethren, we'd barely hear of the damn thing. Pure and simple.

Look at cashmere... 10 years ago (not even!) that shit was for ballers. Sweaters, scarves, anything made of cashmere was at a serious premium... these days (once the production end got wind of this and everyone tried cashing in), cashmere shows up at old navy. Sure... it's soft, but so are soooooo many other fabrics. Once it stopped being "precious" people lost interest.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

I guess vicuña is superior not only in terms of softness, also it's lightweight, provides excelent isulation....etc

I find more obnoxius price wise the 1200$ shirt by the cross guy

I'm more offended by the quality/price relation chez H&M, they make more profit for sure....the highest luxury isn't that unfair imo

[/quote]

Bingo!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

I get your point albert, Ferran Adriá says that he prefers an excelent tomato than caviar.

Regarding Cashmere, good quality cashmere is still uberexpensive, I suppose the hype made appear a lot of cheap "cashmere" in the market.

Vicuña isn't a hype imo, isn't popular, it's just rare, like caviar, in fact I feel more confortable and like more design wise some cheaper cotton fabrics, an excelent tomato.

It's true you are paying a premium for the rarity, but it's still an interesting fabric, like caviar it's still tasty independently? of the pricepoint.

I don't like luxury fabrics in my clothing btw, so I won't have the temptation hehe

[/quote]

Aww, you melted my heart by bringing Adria into the conversation my friend :)

I hear you... just like how good wool can still be very pricey from the right Scottish places hehe.

Rare is rare like you said, some people will naturally gravitate to it just because of that.

I love the H&M hating that's going on here hehehehe :)

Comment

• Johnny
                              • Sep 2006

Albert, when was the last time you actually walked into a shop and bought some clothes? They seem to be bought threough proxies all over the world! Of course there's nothing wrong with that, but are you not attracted to the idea of rarity as much as the lanvin customer. (ccp is secrative designer.) The point is that it's pointless to critisize these things since everything that we buy is ludicrously indulgent in the contextof what the vast majority of people in the world have. it's all just degrees after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎