X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Schadenfreude
    • Jan 2008

Shoe making.

I've been wanting to learn how to make shoes for awhile now. I am someone that is good with his hands. The skills I have from the industry I am in are easily transferable to the art of shoe making. I just need some sort of jump start. Due to my work schedule I am unable to go to FIDM (closest school to me) in order to learn, but I definitely feel as though I need a good tutorial before I begin my journey as a self-trained cobbler. There are some weekend work shops around here but they all seem to be for women's shoes, which isn't what really interests me at the moment. Although I'm sure some of the skills involved will help me along the way, I'd much rather wait to take a course that is more aligned with my wants.

There's this book: http://www.shoemakingbook.com/ which seems pretty well put together, but it's somewhat scary for me to just jump in head first without any sort of input from a real person.

I found a website awhile ago (for whatever reason I am unable to find it as I am making this thread, maybe i'll be able to give a link later) that lists a 5 day workshop in Washington state, of course flight+course fees+time off of work is something I'm not entirely sure I am financially prepared for.

I don't think going to a cobbler in my area is a good idea seeing as how I work from 6am- 10pm mon-fri.

I just feel someone wouldn't be all that willing to help me if all I had to spare was 2 days a week. I guess I shouldn't assume.

Any suggestions? Specifically on the book? I know that as long as the book isn't too ambiguous about its directions I'd be able to get a handle on it just fine, but on the website it says the book is meant to cater to students, which makes it seem as though it isn't a very thurough manual.

I remember someone commenting in the japanese shoe makers thread that he was in this industry, maybe he'll have some pointer on how to get started.

Gracias for reading my ramblings.

Originally posted by ddohnggo
    fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.
  • Avantster
    ¤¤¤
    • Sep 2006

Re: Shoe making.

Yes, new_dawn_fades is the man to speak to, and perhaps reading this thread could help you :-)

I think asho is also in the business, too.

My understanding is that while not impossible, the skill of shoe-making is something that is very difficult to learn by yourself - but if you're good with wood then you've got a headstart already. Best of luck!

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Schadenfreude
      • Jan 2008

Re: Shoe making.

The mold making doesn't scare me. I already do a lot of mold making where I work for plastic to form to. Usually it's a lot bigger than shoe molds but it's just less wood right? Right.

The thing that scares me the most is the forming of the material around the shoe itself. I'm sure thats where most of my time energy and money will be wasted.

Thanks for the help.

Originally posted by ddohnggo
      fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎