X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • genzou2.0
    • Jul 2008

CCP/Julius bend nail ring

I was reading the accesory section of scoute.org yesterday and thought to myself that I would take on the quest of making the Julius/CCP bent nail ring.

I have some experience with jewelry making from highschool so I went and got a ring mandrel and gathered whatever tools I could find. I thought this would only take 5 minutes but it actually took me up to an hour.

I used a 4" nail this time but actually it was a bit too small even for my skinny fingers. So I gave it to my gf. Next time I will try with a different nail, longer, softer, and with a bigger end part more like the Julius ring.

• genzou2.0
    • Jul 2008

Re: CCP/Julius bend nail ring

Heres a pic of it being worn

Comment

• Rubbish
      • Jul 2008

Wow, that looks absolutely fantastic! Very well executed.

Have you considered treating the rings you make in the future in any way, or do you plan to leave them as is?

Comment

• Secretside
        • Jul 2008

that looks really great, genzou! be sure to post pictures of nail ring #2.

Comment

• genzou2.0
          • Jul 2008

thanks guys

Im planning on making the same one but bigger, and with a bigger end part, the flat part you hit with a hammer.

also im looking into paints that will work on metal

ill keep you guys posted but im gon be busy during the weekend so it wont be until next week

Comment

• humancrack
            • Feb 2008

good to see you here genzou.

Comment

• HWith
              • May 2007

I think Mike did a pretty good job painting the clothing rack he made. Maybe you could talk to him about metal colours and coating?

[quote user="mike lowrey"]

bumping this since I made something a couple of days ago:

took several paint coats to get the right gothninja shade [86]

[/quote]

[quote user="genzou2.0"]

thanks guys

Im planning on making the same one but bigger, and with a bigger end part, the flat part you hit with a hammer.

also im looking into paints that will work on metal

ill keep you guys posted but im gon be busy during the weekend so it wont be until next week

[/quote]

Comment

• Rubbish
                • Jul 2008

[quote user="HWith"]

I think Mike did a pretty good job painting the clothing rack he made. Maybe you could talk to him about metal colours and coating[/quote]

I was going to recommend the same, but couldn't remember where I saw the clothing rack. Great to see that we have a bunch of people on the site making cool things with their hands.[Y]

Comment

• horsetheband
                  • Jul 2008

looks awesome,

where did you get the materials? are they from a plumbing store?

Comment

• genzou2.0
                    • Jul 2008

i will be going to hardware stores to look for more nails and paints.

i love mike's clothing rack but i don't think i will be needing that much paint. maybe i goto those hobby stores for paints that they use on toy cars, models etc.

will be doing ann's scissor necklace too next week

horsetheband-

the only tool there thats special is the ring mandrel, you can get that in craft stores. the rest are just random tools. i may look into buying a ring plier, which has round ends and don't damage the metal im working with

Comment

• lowrey
                      ventiundici
                      • Dec 2006

[quote user="genzou2.0"] i will be going to hardware stores to look for more nails and paints.

i love mike's clothing rack but i don't think i will be needing that much paint. maybe i goto those hobby stores for paints that they use on toy cars, models etc.[/quote]

I used just basic spray paintswith a primer underneath for the rack.

some thoughts in case you need ideas; for the nail ring, the material is pretty slick so the paint might chip of with wear. anonizing it would probably be the best option but you'd have to find some places that does it. another option is powder coating which holds much better on metal, but again something you'd have to have someone do and probably not worth it for a small thing like that.best option I think would be sanding it carefully and then just using some black primer paint intended for metal. you'll get a matte black finish and I'd say that it would hold the best.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• genzou2.0
                        • Jul 2008

thanks mike for the inputs

i thought about anonizing too, something with electrode something, that i learned in highschool... but that would be too hard and probably expensive for my little project. same for the powder coating.

i will probably doing the last option

will be posting mroe pics after im done

stay tuned~

Comment

• Pinoy
                          • Dec 2006

great work, genzou and mike!

mike? are those meat hooks you're using? is there any chance of damaging the clothing when using those?

genzou? how did you get your ring to be so perfectly round? did u simply wrap it a metal tube while hammering it into shape?

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

[quote user="danieldy"]

mike? are those meat hooks you're using? is there any chance of damaging the clothing when using those?

genzou? how did you get your ring to be so perfectly round? did u simply wrap it a metal tube while hammering it into shape?

[/quote]

Daniel, there is a tool called a ring mandrel that is used by jewelers to create perfectly round rings. If you don't have one you can substitute a metal tube like you said. The nice thing about mandrels is that they're often notched or marked with ring sizes so you know exactly where to hammer to create a ring of the size you want. A combination of a ring mandrel and a rawhide hammer (so you don't leave toolmarks on the metal) and you'll be banging out these nail rings in no time flat!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Pinoy
                              • Dec 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"][quote user="danieldy"]

[/quote]

Daniel, there is a tool called a ring mandrel that is used by jewelers to create perfectly round rings. If you don't have one you can substitute a metal tube like you said. The nice thing about mandrels is that they're often notched or marked with ring sizes so you know exactly where to hammer to create a ring of the size you want. A combination of a ring mandrel and a rawhide hammer (so you don't leave toolmarks on the metal) and you'll be banging out these nail rings in no time flat!

[/quote]

Thanks, Albert. :)

Your knowledge on ring-making makes me wonder if there will be some interesting rings coming out in your capsule collection... ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎