X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • clockwatcher
    • Jul 2008

re: wrinkling garments..

after seeing mike lowrey's junya shorts and reading about wrinkling your own garments i thought i'd try it out. faust said something about using baking soda but i didnt really know how to go about that so i used a little starch instead.. seems to have worked alright.

took my too-crisp veronique branquino shirt and twisted and twisted and left it overnight like this:

ended up like this:

the shirt not only looks but oddly enough fits better now.. so i thought i'd share. im gonna do this to some shorts now

• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: re: wrinkling garments..

Hey, good job. Actually, I think starch was the right thing to use! Keep us posted if it stays wrinkled that way. Did you put it in the oven?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
      • Jun 2007

[quote user="Faust"]Hey, good job. Actually, I think starch was the right thing to use! Keep us posted if it stays wrinkled that way. Did you put it in the oven?
      [/quote]

+1. Could you post a bit more about the process? I'd love to try this out on a couple of pieces.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

not sure how clockwatcher did it exactly.

1. soak

2. stick it into a small container - the smaller the better - squeeze the fucker in (try a large cup for a tshirt)

3. use a little starch (at your own risk). i've never don this - so i don't know if you just simply pepper the shirt with it or what.

4. leave in the oven overnight to dry

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• maldoror
          • Jun 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

not sure how clockwatcher did it exactly.

1. soak

2. stick it into a small container - the smaller the better - squeeze the fucker in (try a large cup for a tshirt)

3. use a little starch (at your own risk). i've never don this - so i don't know if you just simply pepper the shirt with it or what.

4. leave in the oven overnight to dry

[/quote]

thanks! are the wrinkles from this process permanent permanent, or can they be undone by a dry cleaner down the line?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

can and will be undone. perma-wrinkle is relative [66] I suggest trying with a crap shirt first.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Avantster
              ¤¤¤
              • Sep 2006

nice. I've done the same with a tee before using minimal starch, and it worked well.

the wrinkles will generally come out after a few washes and definitely with ironing.

I should actually do the same to a white Y's linen shirt I have. I wanted to do it while I was on vacation but didn't have the starch. instead, I kept it tied in a knot every time I took it off.

let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• Johnny
                • Sep 2006

a bit late on this, but the junya method is to soak the item, crease together, and then tie up with string realyl tight and allow to dry. that's how the shorts were done, don't thing any starch is needed

Comment

• lowrey
                  ventiundici
                  • Dec 2006

yea theres probably no starch, linen itself already gets wrinkly easier than cotton or wool. the downside is that they wont stay as wrinkled as they are to begin with, after a couple of wears they'll just look like you forgot to iron them instead of super crumbled. so I think I might use a little starch next time when I soak them, and see if they stay better.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Johnny
                    • Sep 2006

indeed i have a jacket in taht fabric and it does look kind of just shaby now rather than super creased.

i had a bit of a disaster with a white-collared/cuffed blue shirt from junya that i washed and tied up to dry. cuffs and collar no longer white but nice blue/tie-dye/grey sort of look......having said that it's creased to fuck!

Comment

• Buckwheat
                      • Sep 2006

thanks for sharing guys. Anyone done it with wool? I hate taking boiled wool items to dry cleaner. They always want to do thier best and try to iron and flatten the crap out of it.

If not done right yes it will look like sloppy wrinkle clothes from the bottom of the drawer.

Comment

• jcotteri
                        • Jun 2008

i thought that those junya shorts came like that or did you do it?
                        WTB: This

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎