• Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

CFDA Fashion Fund 2008 Nominations

Who are these people?

CFDA/VOGUE FASHION FUND FINALISTS SELECTED

Fund Celebrates Fifth Anniversary

American Express and Evgeny Lebedev Join Prestigious List of Underwriters

July 16, 2008?The Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) and VOGUE are pleased to announce the ten (10) Finalists for the fifth-annual CFDA/VOGUE Fashion Fund
    initiative, which provides financial support and business mentorship
    for emerging designers. Since its inception in 2003, the program has
    granted more than $1 million to twelve different design companies,
    including Doo.Ri, Derek Lam, Philip Crangi, Phillip Lim, Proenza Schouler, Rodarte, Rogan, Thakoon, Thom Browne, and Trovata. The CFDA/VOGUE Fashion Fund is generously sponsored by partner the Gap, underwriters American
    Express, Barneys New York, Coach, Juicy Couture, Kellwood Company,
    Evgeny Lebedev, Liz Claiborne Inc, Lord & Taylor, L?Oréal Paris,
    Nordstrom, Theory and VOGUE

The 2008 Finalists are:

ALBERTUS QUARTUS ? Albertus Q. Swanepoel

ALEJANDRO INGELMO

ALEXANDER WANG

IRENE NEUWIRTH

JASON WU

JUAN CARLOS OBANDO

OBEDIENT SONS & DAUGHTERS ? Swaim & Christina Hutson

ORGANIC ? John Patrick

RICHARD CHAI

VENA CAVA ? Lisa Mayock & Sophie Buhai

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • andrewislasorad
    • Nov 2006

Re: CFDA Fashion Fund 2008 Nominations

Is Robert Geller too big for this award? Would seem like an obvious choice. I wonder how poor you have to be to be considered for it.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="andrewislasorad"]Is Robert Geller too big for this award? Would seem like an obvious choice. I wonder how poor you have to be to be considered for it.
      [/quote]

Too small.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

How did Rick win this award back in the day? I thought he was super small time at that point and his career rocketed only after this award?
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]How did Rick win this award back in the day? I thought he was super small time at that point and his career rocketed only after this award?
          [/quote]

He already had a celeb following, and Anna V. liked him off the bat for whatever reason.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

aha

Thanks for the info Faust! Always wondered exactly how it went down

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• deleuze
              • Jul 2007

I don't think Rick was ever nominated for this award. And I disagree that Geller is too small (e.g. when Doo Ri was nominated the first time she was working out of her parent's drycleaners). In fact he would have been an ideal candidate considering past and present nominations. A lot of designers probably turn down nominations as it is a very long and intrusive process from the time of nomination to when the awards are given.

Comment

• laika
                • Sep 2006

^Rick won best emerging designer from CFDA in 2002.

Good point about Geller, i agree. Although most of the designers on that list have been around for a few more seasons than he has.... Richard Chai is probably my fave.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the award go to Alexander Wang, who is definitely talented, imo. (Although the quality of his clothes is appalling for the price. [N])

...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• hanajibu
                  • Jan 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

Who are these people?

The 2008 Finalists are:

ALBERTUS QUARTUS ? Albertus Q. Swanepoel
                  ALEJANDRO INGELMO
                  ALEXANDER WANG
                  IRENE NEUWIRTH
                  JASON WU
                  JUAN CARLOS OBANDO
                  OBEDIENT SONS & DAUGHTERS ? Swaim & Christina Hutson
                  ORGANIC ? John Patrick
                  RICHARD CHAI
                  VENA CAVA ? Lisa Mayock & Sophie Buhai

[/quote]

*deep breath*

Richard Chai just started a menswear line, I believe, and he's been doing womenswear for awhile. I think he's friends with Philip Lim. Lisa and Sophie from Vena Cava are two Brooklyn-based designers, they do a lot of vintage-y and hand-printed frocks and stuff. Really sweet women. I had the pleasure of meeting them awhile back. Alexander Wang does like a drapey, dark aesthetic (mostly womenswear) that seems to be popular with the downtown crowd ? only thing that gets me is he's younger than I am. Swaim and Christina Hutson do like this riff on proper school uniform-like collegiate boarding school outfits. I believe Irene is a jewelry designer. And you got me on the rest...

I'm pulling for Vena Cava since I sort of know them, and I dig Richard Chai but I've got a feeling Alexander's taking this one.

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

[quote user="deleuze"]I don't think Rick was ever nominated for this award. And I disagree that Geller is too small (e.g. when Doo Ri was nominated the first time she was working out of her parent's drycleaners). In fact he would have been an ideal candidate considering past and present nominations. A lot of designers probably turn down nominations as it is a very long and intrusive process from the time of nomination to when the awards are given.[/quote]

2002: American Vogue magazine offers to sponsor Fall/Winter runway
                    show, his first. Receives 2002 Perry Ellis Award for Emerging Talent
                    from the CFDA.

I don't know - is that different? I can't believe this punk Lebedev is underwriting this. Yuck.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎