X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lorenzo
    • Jul 2008

Shirt fabrics

What to look for, where to buy it, where to produce it, how to fail, how to succeed?

I am going to produce 16 different styles of shirts for AW 10, and are wondering if anyone having any hint and clues?

Im located i Norway, but are thinking of buying the fabrics in India. Anyone know anything about it? And also getting a Tailor to produce it for me, as I do not think that I will sell more that 100 shirts the first season. Norway is small, and Im gonna make an exlusive product.

So what is your favorite shirt fabric? And why?

Any info, will be much appriciated, Thanks

• Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Shirt fabrics

[quote user="Lorenzo"]

What to look for, where to buy it, where to produce it, how to fail, how to succeed?

I am going to produce 16 different styles of shirts for AW 10, and are wondering if anyone having any hint and clues?

Im located i Norway, but are thinking of buying the fabrics in India. Anyone know anything about it? And also getting a Tailor to produce it for me, as I do not think that I will sell more that 100 shirts the first season. Norway is small, and Im gonna make an exlusive product.

So what is your favorite shirt fabric? And why?

Any info, will be much appriciated, Thanks

[/quote]

Wait... you're going to produce 16 styles but you have no idea how to do this? It doesn't make sense...

Also you want to buy your fabrics from India but you don't know how? Why would you go through India?

I think you're asking way too many questions at once. You should think through what you're planning. If you're going to be creating a marketable line of clothing, this probably isn't the best place to start. If you've had any formal training, going through those channels would probably be the best way.

It seems like you just came up with a number and are filling everything in after that. May not be the best way to go about it. YOU should choose the fabrics that YOU think fit the line. It's downright impossible for someone to write a description of what kind of shirt fabric they like. Not only that... it would be practically useless to you because then you'll be trying to hunt through bolts and bolts of fabric for something comparable which is definitely not the way to make it as a new designer. Everything should come from your own mind.

... plus, people will just say "my favorite shirt fabric is cotton."

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Lorenzo
      • Jul 2008

Thanks for responding

Off course I have a plan on how to get them produced, and both me and my partner have the formal training or are in education right now. But I was hoping to get in contact with anyone who have some experience on the on the subject.

Off course Im not gonna try making what other people thinks, just doing some research and are quite open to listen to what other people tell :)

Im currently doing research on how to get the shirts produced, and some tips on where you can buy cheap and nice fabrics, so if anyone having any help to give, it will be much appriciated :)

Thanks

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="wire.artist"]I'd do less styles, and try to improve the detailing instead.
        [/quote]

seconded. The folks on here are all about the subtleties and nicely worked finishes. SIXTEEN styles of shirts is too many. Five shirts that are impeccable, meticulously worked and fit perfectly will be much stronger than 16 various styles. The latter would come across too contrived you know?

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• DHC
          • Jul 2007

cotton. [86] Had to play off that Albert..haha. And yes, sixteen shirts is waaay too many. As far as fabrics go, the best thing for you to do is cut some swatches of your favorite materials and shop them around. You should always get a sample of the exact fabric you are buying if purchased remote, but best to go local I think. There are too many factors involved that would leave answers to your question useless...from weight to weave...ratios in a blend. Albert offers sound advise and you should really to take it to heart. Best of luck with your endeavor Lorenzo!
          Originally posted by Faust
          fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• philip nod
            • Aug 2007

i'd say 32 shirts would make more sense. people from India have large families. or did i misunderstand the question?
            One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• jsprowls9
              • Aug 2007

Nah... I have to say 16 styles your first season is too much. Not only is the product development going to take a long time. But, you'll also dilute your sales per style, putting yourself in jeopardy of not meeting the contractor's table minimums.

Are you re-using the same body, pocket, placket and other standard style elements? Or, are you talking completely new, top-to-bottom styles?

Comment

• Cordwinder
                • May 2008

Question No.1 - Do you have start-up capital?

Question No.2 - Do you have interested customers who have seen your designs?

Question No.3 - Are you willing to travel to India meeting with garment factories who you want to make your shirts? A tailor in India isn't going to make 1600 shirts for you (16 designs x 100 shirts per design)

Since its your first collection, wouldn't it be better if you stayed closer to home so you can keep a close eye on the production?
                India does have a broad range of manufacturing facilities but finding the right one will involve a lot of traveling and some trial-and-errors.

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎