• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Men's Sales outpacing Women's

This is groundbreaking news for contemporary culture.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Re: Men's Sales outpacing Women's

I hope this gives for more versatility in mens fashion.

Comment

• Barims
      • Aug 2008

Actually, I think it's the option of versatility that's encouraging sales. The article highlights dressier pieces as raising interest, but this really means that more choice is being presented of late. And how much further can menswear go at this point anyway?
      ________
      Love Forum
      Last edited by Barims; 01-21-2011, 07:49 PM.

Comment

• philip nod
        • Aug 2007

again, i point the finger at SZ. [N]
        One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="Barims"]Actually, I think it's the option of versatility that's encouraging sales. The article highlights dressier pieces as raising interest, but this really means that more choice is being presented of late. And how much further can menswear go at this point anyway?[/quote]

i take it you are not creative?

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="Barims"]Actually, I think it's the option of versatility that's encouraging sales. The article highlights dressier pieces as raising interest, but this really means that more choice is being presented of late. And how much further can menswear go at this point anyway?[/quote]

I do think there is a genuine change in men paying more attention to how they look (remember the whole metrosexual thing?). Also, with more and more companies relaxing their dress codes, and more new companies not having a dress code, men are having more options and not locked into their ghastly suits 5 days a week.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Barims
              • Aug 2008

Nod - it's a question, not a definitive statement. Answer it or let it go, yeah?

(Incidentally, no, I'm not a creative - see my introductory post - but that doesn't preclude me from enjoying wearing clothes or wanting to see new things in menswear, even if I believe that menswear is fundamentally about basics and "thrives" more on reinvention rather than "versatility". Post a pic of yourself successfully wearing a man skirt or something equally outlandish and I'll concede that you're right to call out my "credentials", 'kay?)

Faust - my point exactly, but considering suits are partly at the heart of the renewed attention to smartness, I for one would rather ease up on them. Besides, I like my ghastly suits - they garner as many compliments as my casualwear does

Tho' if we're talking ghastly, I'd rather forget metrosexuality, which seemed to be more about being slaves to idealised ad images and posing rather than dudes looking to raise their personal style game, which I think is more of a factor now even if they haven't stopped taking influences from fashion media
              ________
              Suzuki GR650

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

I wasn't judging metrosexuality on aesthetic basis, merely pointing out a cultural phenomenon. And as far as suits - remember, you are in London, and I am in New York. What passes for suits here are exercises in abomination. You work ten years on Wall St. instead of Canary Wharf and then tell me you can stand a site of one, no matter how good it looks. [86]

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Barims
                  • Aug 2008

I agree with both your points - I won't take anything away from metrosexuality getting more menswear consumers out of the closet and I'll never buy an American suit [75]
                  ________
                  help for love

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

[quote user="Barims"]

Nod - it's a question, not a definitive statement. Answer it or let it go, yeah?

(Incidentally, no, I'm not a creative - see my introductory post - but that doesn't preclude me from enjoying wearing clothes or wanting to see new things in menswear, even if I believe that menswear is fundamentally about basics and "thrives" more on reinvention rather than "versatility". Post a pic of yourself successfully wearing a man skirt or something equally outlandish and I'll concede that you're right to call out my "credentials", 'kay?)

Faust - my point exactly, but considering suits are partly at the heart of the renewed attention to smartness, I for one would rather ease up on them. Besides, I like my ghastly suits - they garner as many compliments as my casualwear does

Tho' if we're talking ghastly, I'd rather forget metrosexuality, which seemed to be more about being slaves to idealised ad images and posing rather than dudes looking to raise their personal style game, which I think is more of a factor now even if they haven't stopped taking influences from fashion media[/quote]

didn't mean to offend you, but people that ask that question usually are not creative types. creative people don't have that mindset. how far can anything go? its the critics who try to answer that. artists just make shit, that's all they know. how far can painting go? it was declared dead and then resurrected. menswear was dead, now its thriving. i wish it was dead again.

you should check through the WAYWT threads pre april. you'll find lots of outfits, the next level leather look might do it for you.

welcome to SZ, you'll never be able to save money again. [92]

Comment

• Barims
                      • Aug 2008

Boy, this site really died. Glad it's back

Philip, it's cool - you didn't offend me. I don't have any real aspiriations towards being a critic of any stripe, though the idea that menswear should be more "versatile" is a little baffling to me, especially when Heirloom didn't offer much of a definition that I could either agree or disagree with, and when we live in an age of a variety of choices for clothes and of style tribes to belong to

As for next-level stuff, I'm alsways interested in having a look at what others are wearing, though I have an aesthetic that I'm pretty happy with and naturally buy pieces with that in mind. I tried the trend chasing route when I was a kid and it didn't really work for me. These days, I'm basically considered by others to be either dapper or trad or both, but (being far too young to be a consummate trad or iGent) I'm also known to mix in offbeat pieces (Comme, Mihara, Junya etc) that (I hope) make me look a lot more playful and less stuffy. While I love and covet them dearly, the last couple years of the likes of Junya and Lanvin have left me in an interesting place since they strongly resemble the relaxed suiting/offbeat formality looks I started to fashion for myself 4 years ago and now I'm kind of wondering where to take things - maybe I'm the one in need of versatility (lulz)

I'm likely not an ideal SZ dresser despite appreciating a lot of the discussions here, as well as a few of the same designers, so I don't know if this is the ideal place to post my looks on, nevermind that I don't think I want to go down that road on the interweb just yet - I think you'd all probably be put off by my shirt-and-tie fetishism ;)
                      ________
                      extreme vaporizer review

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Barims View Post
                        Boy, this site really died. Glad it's back

Philip, it's cool - you didn't offend me. I don't have any real aspiriations towards being a critic of any stripe, though the idea that menswear should be more "versatile" is a little baffling to me, especially when Heirloom didn't offer much of a definition that I could either agree or disagree with, and when we live in an age of a variety of choices for clothes and of style tribes to belong to

As for next-level stuff, I'm alsways interested in having a look at what others are wearing, though I have an aesthetic that I'm pretty happy with and naturally buy pieces with that in mind. I tried the trend chasing route when I was a kid and it didn't really work for me. These days, I'm basically considered by others to be either dapper or trad or both, but (being far too young to be a consummate trad or iGent) I'm also known to mix in offbeat pieces (Comme, Mihara, Junya etc) that (I hope) make me look a lot more playful and less stuffy. While I love and covet them dearly, the last couple years of the likes of Junya and Lanvin have left me in an interesting place since they strongly resemble the relaxed suiting/offbeat formality looks I started to fashion for myself 4 years ago and now I'm kind of wondering where to take things - maybe I'm the one in need of versatility (lulz)

I'm likely not an ideal SZ dresser despite appreciating a lot of the discussions here, as well as a few of the same designers, so I don't know if this is the ideal place to post my looks on, nevermind that I don't think I want to go down that road on the interweb just yet - I think you'd all probably be put off by my shirt-and-tie fetishism ;)
                        All the more I appreciate you being here - we need to mix things up. I am sure you'll find supporters here. Johnny (where is that man?) loves Lanvin, for example, and CDG/Junya too.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• electric_alyce
                          • Mar 2008

Post a pic of yourself successfully wearing a man skirt or something equally outlandish and I'll concede that you're right to call out my "credentials", 'kay?)
                          I can try, even though it'll probably me a womens skirt and you probably won't call it successfull
                          Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

• Barims
                            • Aug 2008

Ha, Alyce, you're on

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                            All the more I appreciate you being here - we need to mix things up. I am sure you'll find supporters here. Johnny (where is that man?) loves Lanvin, for example, and CDG/Junya too.
                            Thanks for the kind endorsement. Johnny being here was a factor to my finally deciding to join, but I'm also surprised that he's apparently AWOL

I'd like to see "regular" guys wearing Lanvin, actually, at least besides the shirts, polos and trainers. Once I've dropped a couple sizes and made some money, I'm gonna look into picking up pieces. Gotta say that the pic of Ossendrijver in the Fall 2008 catwalk show was kinda offputting, and I think someone here once mentioned that the more extravagant stuff tended to look kind of tacky up close, but the ideas are really sound
                            ________
                            Yamaha TT600
                            Last edited by Barims; 01-21-2011, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• electric_alyce
                              • Mar 2008

Ha, Alyce, you're on
                              Dunno if this counts, not very fashioned up but XD
                              Smile! It's the apocalypse

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎