X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Multiple layer sewing difficulties

Pretty amateur question for all the pros out there... but I'm having difficulties stitching together what amounts to 4 layers of jersey (t-shirt material) together in long stitches. The problem I'm getting is serious fabric buckling after the stitch is done. I suspect that it's in part my irregular feeding of the fabric into the machine but predominantly the fact that 4 layers stacked just won't feed evenly since the advancing mechanism contacts only the bottom layer of fabric thus over long stitches you get irregular feeding of the bottom layer advancing "normally" while the top layers begin to lag.

Are there any tips to sewing this stretchy fabric while being able to avoid this? Would a walking foot machine eliminate this? Should I pin all the pieces and then just systematically remove the pins as I sew?

I'm doing this on a serger if that helps.

Thanks guys!!!!
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • Jon
    • Apr 2008

sometimes when I'm working with thick or multiple layers of stretch fabrics I find it easier to use a rolling foot... on a regular machine, not a serger, though... but damn, 4 layers of jersey? need some pro advice...?
    Originally posted by merz
    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

I was thinking about using the regular machine. I may try it with the remainder seams on this piece as after some consideration, It'll be reversible then with some nice textures.

Thanks Jon!

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• docintheory
        • May 2008

hmmm are you sewing together all 4 layers at once? Otherwise, you could try sewing the first two layers then sew on the next two layers. I dunno it that helps.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
          • Nov 2007

Looking forward to some 4-ply overlock steez from the house of Chinorlz.
          LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Thanks again for the tips guys. Did a bit of digging and will be getting a walking foot to take care of this bad boy! Stitches will be done in a classic fashion with raw edges so the full piece will be reversible then. The pressure is on for clean and neat stitches hehehe

you all rock!!!!!

A, I hope not to disappoint :)

Comment

• Jon
              • Apr 2008

...with the walking foot you might not get the middle layers being fed at the same rate as the top and bottom layers, no? Be sure to keep us posted!

SZ is buzzing with creativity. bzzzt.
              Originally posted by merz
              perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

After doing some online reading, it seems like it'll work well. For some of the walking foot machines, buyer/user reviews said they would use it with 3 layers of fabric AND batting for some quilting (ahem, not what I'm doing hahaha) and there was no slippage. The walking foot combined with the base advancing mechanism *should* sandwich everything and move it evenly.... we shall see!

Comment

• Chinorlz
                  • Sep 2006

Just wanted to say THANK YOU again to everyone that made suggestions!

Received the walking foot attachment yesterday and it has made this process 1000% better. There is no more crazy rippling (although a slight waviness is still present but it works) and all the seams fit together evenly and beautifully with ZERO fabric slippage!

Thanks so much guys!!

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎