X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reborn
    • Aug 2008

H. Lorenzo's Worldly Awareness

Just read the interview on JC report...interesting, however nothing earth shattering. I think it confirms the issues surrounding Japanese brands and production for non-domestic market: they really don't do it.

http://jcreport.com/interviews/291008/h-lorenzos-worldly-awareness (in case you want to see some of the pics of the store)

H. Lorenzo is a man revered in the fashion business for his discerning eye, and he has managed to keep his equally discerning Hollywood clientele happy for more than 23 years. What keeps this hard to please crowd coming back to his eponymous store in Los Angeles is Lorenzo's well curated merchandise of established luxury brands alongside relatively unknown, yet promising labels from far-flung locations such as Japan. On a recent buying trip in Tokyo, we caught up with H. Lorenzo for a one-on-one chat about Japanese brands, his eco-concept shop H.L.N.R. [6] and his advice for young designers.
    JC Report: You got into Tokyo just a few days ago and have already been making the rounds; what brands have you seen so far?
    H. Lorenzo: I've seen Toga, Botanika [7] (by Taishi Nobukuni) and I just came from Patrick Stephan [8]. I'm going to take a look at Aguri Sagimori next, then go to Sister. Tomorrow I will see DressCamp [9] and Dress 33 (by former DressCamp designer Toshikazu Iwaya). I saw Dress 33 in Paris, but I want to see it up close. I've been coming to Tokyo on these intense buying trips for five years now. I research everything beforehand and want to see the up-and-comers.
    JCR: What is it about young brands and young designers in Japan that interests you?
    HL: There's this power that comes from their clothes. The details are amazing, I don't know how they can stay in business while making these incredibly detailed clothes. I think it's because they have a love for the craft and that message is very powerful.
    JCR: Is this why you stock so many obscure Japanese brands?
    HL: Yes, their clothes just seem different from many of their peers—it's good. But I worry about them because they are so limited with what they have, and how far they are able to take their brands themselves. It must be hard to survive, I really don't know how they do it!
    JCR: What are some of the drawbacks as a buyer?
    HL: In Japan you either have the really girly stuff, or else its quite dark. There is very little in between. Also, I think the menswear is quite amazing, but they have a big problem with sizing because designers cut too slim and too small. They only recently started making more than two or three sizes of their designs. For the women, it's much more difficult because their sizing is totally catered to a domestic market.
    JCR: You also stock many Japanese brands in your new eco shop H.L.N.R.—is this a coincidence?
    HL: Not necessarily. I think many Japanese brands already make a lot of eco-friendly pieces so it is easier to pick them up. But I actually sent out letters to all of the brands about two years ago, asking them to produce a few pieces in each of their collections that were more "green."
    JCR: Did the brands respond?
    HL: Oh, yes! I had designers coming to me saying, "I made some organic pieces because of your suggestion."
    JCR: So are they bending backwards to be eco or to get your attention?
    HL: (laughs) If I can use my influence to create a better good then I am going to do it. I hope it creates a domino effect. I am just glad that it has had a good reception so far.
    JCR: Despite the amazing architecture, design and solar panels, it seems like the main star of the shop is actually the $8,000 paperless Japanese toilet.
    HL: I actually put those in my house first to try it out! Once you've used one, you'll never go back.
    JCR: What defines a design as being truly "green," in your opinion?
    HL: That is very, very difficult. I mean, it is impossible to be 100% "green," it really is. Natural materials, organic fabric, it's interpreted by everyone differently.
    JCR: In this current market, things are going to get tough for the young, old and eco-loving brands alike. As an important figure in the industry, what would you suggest to emerging designers to stick it out?
    HL: It's just very important to remember your design aesthetic, as well as the reason one is making clothes. It's not the materialism of it —people see through that. These young people I see here, they just do it for the love of the craft.
    This interview was conducted by Misha Janette.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Mind numbing.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      Mind numbing.
      Mr. Lorenzo kind of comes off as a self serving prick in this interview. Like he's this guy pushing the "innovative idea" of using green materials in fashion design since his new store has solar panels and a paperless toilet (which if you think about it... would just having recycled paper toilet paper have been more eco friendly than installing an expensive thing that burns through all sorts of electricity and presumably more liters of water per flush?).

You're years late asshole.

I'm hatin today.
      www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• reborn
        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by merz
        one wonders how people like that manage to stay in business, considering his store does the impossible - it carries viridi-anne, ma+, KK attachment and STILL has a selection so woefully-atrocious, it makes you want to flush the clothes down that paperless toilet.

I think it has more to do with location...Los Angeles is filled with douche bags that love designer denim, cashmere hoodies and bedazzled tees...H. Lorenzo serves them as much as they serve the LA goth ninjas.

honestly, the customer service at h. lorenzo blows maxfield out of the water.

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

er. my original reaction was kind of harsh.
          maxfields has neither the selection, nor the service. lorenzo has service, but crappy buys. you can't have a decent store with just one of these two qualities.

edit: they also don't carry anything in my size. heh.

so we get to the truth!

I'm surprised to hear that maxfield's doesn't have the selection... I've heard they carry a lot of the LA trash that you and reborn mentioned, but they've seemed to carry pretty good edits of CCP? I'm basing this purely on what people tell me and what I've gathered from those on here so I could be WAY off.

H. Lorenzo's space looks really nice. Saddened to hear that the buy blows (and that the guy is a scheissemann).

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• reborn
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
            so we get to the truth!

I'm surprised to hear that maxfield's doesn't have the selection... I've heard they carry a lot of the LA trash that you and reborn mentioned, but they've seemed to carry pretty good edits of CCP? I'm basing this purely on what people tell me and what I've gathered from those on here so I could be WAY off.

H. Lorenzo's space looks really nice. Saddened to hear that the buy blows (and that the guy is a scheissemann).
            Maxfield's mens selection is limited. Yes, they have an extensive selection of CCP, RO, Lanvin, YY, CdG, MMJ, maniac labels, etc...the focus here is definitely on womenswear.

H. Lorenzo = HL goth ninja stuff + Maxfield flops + douche bagwear (the store on Sunset has a lower level that is just denim and tees)

Fred Segal/Ron Herman = lots of douchebag wear + Belgain designers + American preppy

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

its pretty hard to botch a ccp buy. sometimes they have nice things, but they tend to a) buy haphazardly. b) mark up beyond what is expected of ccp anywhere else and c) treat the customer like a yeast infection.
              hehehe, yeah that was definitely a big problem at maxfield's... the pricing is WAY crazy. Although the giant CCP glove chair still tempts me to this day but at $10k... no thanks. Half that and I'd be considering.

Lotta people talk about their customer service as well. I've only bought from them once ever and it was mail order. Went fine... but that was like 3+ years ago haha

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

eh..they do what they do. Nothin' but love.
                Originally posted by Faust
                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• endtroducing
                  • Aug 2008

I want to call both of them out for the mark up they place on things - It's absurd. They wanted something like 2500 for that Damir Doma coat that A has for 1800. And something like 7800 for the ccp scar-seam coat that A had for 6200. On top of that, the sales people suck sooo bad at both - super pushy and honestly without any clue what it is that they are selling. They are just drawn to the price ticket. I refuse to shop in either. I go to A or Archive in SF.
                  m.

Comment

• AX-OV
                    • Feb 2008

I agree with DHC. To be honest, I think some of you are just bashing to bash. The both have great lines. And they both have some bad lines. Doesn't mean they completely suck..

Comment

• reborn
                      • Aug 2008

I'm not bashing HL...the customer service there is great.

On the other hand, the service at Maxfield (based on my personal experience from my last 3 visits) has been consistently bad: sales associates riding my ass as I walk around the store, snippy comments about how exclusive the desgner is and/or how something about how expensive the garments I am looking at are...obviously.

My friend (that works at Saks) mentioned that the store is inundated with people trolling around the place for celebrity spotting...however, I don't think that should excuse blatant snobbery.

From my POV: Maxfield customer service =

Comment

• obsolete
                        • Aug 2008

Lorenzo has always played second fiddle to Maxfield. His reason for opening a store on Robertson was purely ego. He knows japanese brands are hot right now and knows the heat Atelier is getting. He wanted to jump in the game. He is taking a bath on HLNR. He does have some good lines. But when I see Julius leather cargo shorts next to a Morphine Generation Tee, I know I'm dealing with a buyer who is just throwing mud on a wall hoping for something to stick. LA DB's don't go for the goth-ninja aesthetic. They need more bling, and Lorenzo has been famous for bling.

As far as customer service goes, I've always had a good experience at Maxfield. They are always helpful. I find shopping at Lorenzo's is like shopping for a car. The SA's are pushy and have no idea what they are selling. I had a DB at Lorenzo try to talk me into an ugly XXL GDG blazer (i'm a 38) that had been sitting there for years. "We have the best tailors. We can make it fit" I wasn't even looking at the damn thing.

(DB=Douchebag)

Entroducing is right. Archive is great. Great service and a good sellection of brands with no filler. I don't know why they are not mentioned here more. Arthur there very helpful and knowledgeable.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎