X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mrbeuys
    • May 2008

Wrecked Rick

Don't think this really belongs here, but don't quite know where else to put it (suggestions welcome) and it might actually end up involving DIY..

So, freak accident - walking past a door. Ripped the leather at the seam on the right arm of my RO jacket. Since I don't trust anyone to fix this, I am planning on doing it myself. No, I have no experience or much of a clue on how to do it, but if I mess it up, at least I have only myself to blame. Any ideas on how best to go about this? I am reasonably talented with thread and needle...

Actually, got me thinking if there should be a SZ thread for wrecked and scarred clothing... it hurts, but might be quite fascinating in the way this is.
    Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
    Since I don't trust anyone to fix this, I am planning on doing it myself. No, I have no experience or much of a clue on how to do it, but if I mess it up, at least I have only myself to blame.
    this doesn't make much sense.. if you have no experience in leather repair, why not take it to someone who has? chances of you messing it up vs a professional messing it up are pretty obvious.

a good cobbler or tailor should be able to fix that and leave only a small scar.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• mrbeuys
      • May 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post
      this doesn't make much sense.. if you have no experience in leather repair, why not take it to someone who has? chances of you messing it up vs a professional messing it up are pretty obvious.

a good cobbler or tailor should be able to fix that and leave only a small scar.
      I know it sounds odd, but I quite like to do stuff myself. Means I learn and eventually will have a clue.
      Taking it somewhere is definitely Plan B. But the "professionals" I have spoken to so far didn't fill me with much confidence... OK, if someone knows an amazing cobbler in London, ie. not one that has a shop in the Old Street roundabout, please let me know

Cheers
      B
      Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• lowrey
        ventiundici
        • Dec 2006

afaik tears like that are usually glued, there are probably some specialty glues for leather but some generic quick drying glue would probably work as well, I'd imagine it sticking very well to leather. I think there are actually some leather repair kits as well that have glue and maybe a patch, which you probably wouldn't need as theres some excess fabric underneath because of the seam.
        "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• reborn
          • Aug 2008

I know it sounds odd, but I quite like to do stuff myself. Means I learn and eventually will have a clue.
          Taking it somewhere is definitely Plan B. But the "professionals" I have spoken to so far didn't fill me with much confidence... OK, if someone knows an amazing cobbler in London, ie. not one that has a shop in the Old Street roundabout, please let me know

Cheers
          B
          I would suggest asking sales associates at your favorite boutique...they should be able to recommend either a cobbler or a tailor (that know how to work with leather)...and Mike is right about specialty glues. In order to prevent the finished product from turning hard and brittle, you should use a glue meant for leather and/or shoe repair.

Comment

• mrbeuys
            • May 2008

Cheers for all your help.
            I actually had leather glue and a very thin bit of mending fabric and did it myself...I think it turned out alright, looks like a little scar now, but I actually quite like scars. And because of where it is, you don't really see it much anyway.

Ta
            B

Comment

• MikeN
              • Nov 2007

Chicks dig scars. Got a pic?

Comment

• kira
                • Mar 2008

Originally posted by MikeNouveau View Post
                Chicks dig scars. Got a pic?
                Do we?
                Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• MikeN
                  • Nov 2007

Well according to this humorous t-shirt they do!

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

Cheers for all your help.
                    I actually had leather glue and a very thin bit of mending fabric and did it myself...I think it turned out alright, looks like a little scar now, but I actually quite like scars. And because of where it is, you don't really see it much anyway.

Ta
                    B

would like to see a pic as well, just out of curiousity incase something similar ever happens to my reek.

Comment

• editevening
                      • Nov 2008

ya considering it's so close to the seam, the most you'd be able to do would be gluing it aside from any patching ideas, which isn't a great idea. I have a friend whose ro has ripped and just left it as is. Granted it is something like the 06' f/w womens trench and very worn already so it fits the context of the piece as a whole.
                      #nevernotalmostshopping

Comment

• mrbeuys
                        • May 2008

Originally posted by mike lowrey View Post

would like to see a pic as well, just out of curiousity incase something similar ever happens to my reek.
                        Am traveling all week, but will do once I am back in Blighty.
                        And actually, I just saw some research, which indicates indeed that chicks dig scars. While taking a break from finding a cure for cancer, researchers of the University of Liverpool did a study. Here's a bit from the pressrelease:

“Women may have rated scarring as an attractive quality for short-term relationships because they found it be a symbol of masculinity, a feature that is linked to high testosterone levels and an indicator of good genetic qualities that can be passed on to offspring. Men without scars, however, could be seen as more caring and therefore more suitable for long-term relationships.”

Here's a Link to an article.

Cheers
                        B

Comment

• kira
                          • Mar 2008

Am traveling all week, but will do once I am back in Blighty.
                          And actually, I just saw some research, which indicates indeed that chicks dig scars. While taking a break from finding a cure for cancer, researchers of the University of Liverpool did a study. Here's a bit from the pressrelease:

“Women may have rated scarring as an attractive quality for short-term relationships because they found it be a symbol of masculinity, a feature that is linked to high testosterone levels and an indicator of good genetic qualities that can be passed on to offspring. Men without scars, however, could be seen as more caring and therefore more suitable for long-term relationships.”

Here's a Link to an article.

Cheers
                          B
                          well if it is in writing then it must be true, us chicks do dig scars... especially if they took the time to stop researching a cure for cancer to do it.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                            • May 2008

Originally posted by kira View Post
                            well if it is in writing then it must be true, us chicks do dig scars... especially if they took the time to stop researching a cure for cancer to do it.
                            Yup, Kira.
                            You will just have to accept it - I mean, when has science ever been proven wrong? But seriously, one of our clients has this long scar which runs from his forehead down to his jaw, right across his eye. And I can see how that is actually quite attractive... I have never asked him about it, because it's probably a really mundane story, whereas in my mind, it's a remnant from his previous job as a secret agent.

Comment

• kira
                              • Mar 2008

Yup, Kira.
                              You will just have to accept it - I mean, when has science ever been proven wrong? But seriously, one of our clients has this long scar which runs from his forehead down to his jaw, right across his eye. And I can see how that is actually quite attractive... I have never asked him about it, because it's probably a really mundane story, whereas in my mind, it's a remnant from his previous job as a secret agent.
                              That is what makes them sexy, the ability to insert your own story.

I have a 2 inch one that runs from my temple down my face.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎