• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jona
    • Apr 2008

ma ke

just learned of this designer

falling hard for the images i've seen here and there but have yet to see the stuff in person.

anybody know anything?
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

She had an exhibition in London in the last year or so, and I think she showed in Paris once actually.

The collection is called Wuyong - Useless, I think she uses things that she finds to make the garments.

edit: found the exhibition here

Ma Ke is one of the most prolific fashion designers working in China today, she graduated from the Suzhou Institute of Silk Textile Technology in 1992 and four years later set up her own label Exception de Mixmind.

Ma Ke's interest in the crossover between contemporary art and fashion led her to establish the artistic brand Wuyong (Useless) in 2006. Wuyong is an examination of the concept of 'uselessness' and how this interpretation varies when seen from different points of view. In February 2007, Wuyong was presented at Paris Fashion Week for the first time and the innovative concept attracted much attention within both art and fashion circles.

Taking discarded items such as an old paint covered sheet Ma Ke transforms it into a dress, the cracked paint creating a beautiful pattern on the garment, and an old tarpaulin is constructed into a coat of magnificent volume. For Ma Ke this focus on personal interpretation and transformation is a way of highlighting the importance of the individual and the inestimable value of life.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

photoshoot: http://www.dancingmind.net/Gallery/Useless/Wuyong1.htm
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• Schadenfreude
        • Jan 2008

i love it.
        Originally posted by ddohnggo
        fuck, that baby dresses way better than i do.

Comment

• Fade to Black
          • Sep 2008

not terribly original, feels too much like Undercover, but it's kinda cool i guess...im glad there's people emerging from China who are seriously giving design a go, apart from the trashy club hipster graphic print and generic Japanese-derivative of a derivative streetwear shit.
          www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• gerry
            • Feb 2008

It's hard to find designers that are incredibly original...

I like what I see here and can see how her clothes are intensely personal but I wish I could feel it in person.

Many times I'm tempted to post about X designer from X country because I love what I see, but I wonder if it's relevant taking into account that most of them don't really stock anywhere outside of their city...

Comment

• Chinorlz
              • Sep 2006

Gerry, I think you definitely should. Even if these designers can only stock locally, this is a good way to get them known and perhaps we can all see a fresh look on here!
              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Fade to Black
                • Sep 2008

Originally posted by gerry View Post
                It's hard to find designers that are incredibly original...
                good point.

i think it's more important to have a well defined voice and well made clothes than necessarily tearing out the frame with something never seen before...fashion's been around for so long, the window for innovation is only open so wide now.

i'm a fan of Number (N)ine, and it's one of the least original brands out there.
                www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• surver
                  • Oct 2007

she also designs a more commercial line with many outlets throughout china - EXCEPTION DE MIXMIND

Comment

• surver
                    • Oct 2007

although many chinese designers are setting up and slowly gaining ground, most of them are still very derivative and things always seem like they're from 'somewhere'...

Comment

• surver
                      • Oct 2007

another chinese designer whose stuff is pretty interesting although the presentation resembles too much that of MMM is EVENPENNILESS from shanghai.

Comment

• Jonn
                        • Mar 2008

i checked evenpenniless. stuff is pricey yet cheaply made. a lot of "non-color", sharply cut pieces that resemble MMM/lang(perhaps a bit misleading i aint no expert on ladys' wear). they opened a couple of showrooms/stores on Changle Lu nearby BY.

EXCEPTION DE MIXMIND does look interesting. they seem to be well estabished. how could i have missed that? gonna check if they carry men line.

Comment

• surver
                          • Oct 2007

sadly no men's line for exception; i checked already :(

agree re evenpenniless... but give them time, i think he'll come into his own soon... it's scary how quickly china's young generation learns and develop...

Comment

• Boki
                            • May 2008

i would like to ask, if anyone may know, does she stock anywhere, and has she actually got a line of clothing, or is it just one of artisinal pieces?
                            im checked out her website, and i really like some of the stuff in her 'portfolio' as she calls it. there was a coat i really liked so i emailed her with a serious enquiry on buying one with she could make it for order.

im wondering if anyone has had previous experience with Ma Ke or her label, and if there is something that i should know, for example if she's even going to reply to the email.

Comment

• DHC
                              • Jul 2007

Farg! Just opened this thread. Thanks for starting this Jona. And thank you Arto for additional info and vids. I really enjoy what she is doing.
                              Originally posted by Faust
                              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎