X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip nod
    • Aug 2007

"GENIUS"

i thought we could have a genius thread. much like at a mac store, for when you come across something so damn clever it has to be mythologized..

A flustered Momin said, "Terence's art is about nothing. His performance is that he is not playing music." The artist, grinning in a Mickey Mouse T-shirt and plaid hoodie, confirmed this. "This is my performance. This is me, performing." He added, "I am having an amazing time."
    One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Art Basel Miami, is that the biggest joke in the art world? Enlighten me. My favorite article about it was last year in NYT, went something like "Art Basel Miami - an art Costco for the Billionaires"
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
      • Sep 2006

You think it's genius that he's offering nothing? Not sure if you wanted people to comment on other people's genius posts so I guess I'll avoid starting a big debate.
      Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
      http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Fuuma
        • Sep 2006

This movie:
        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064593/

Some ok IMDB review:
        A strange story of Jesus (Clémenti), before his passion. His mother Marie (Zouzou) cannot get him out of the house to do his proselytizing, but eventually he takes bullhorn in hand and gets rejected at every door. He meets Marie Magdalène (Zouzou) who is happy to spend time with him as long as he gives her stones like her other clients. He spends a lot of time with these two women and occasionally goes out to proselytize in the water, on the rocks and in the swamps, He is ridden off his donkey by some thugs on horses while he gives out drugs to various prostitutes along the way. And he sees horrific suffering when his mother opens Pandora's Box. In the end, he wanders off into the ocean while a very pregnant Marie or perhaps Marie Magdalène lies on her back like a beached whale at the edge of the water. Beautiful stark rocky sets with intense lighting and minimal acting. Except for a few scenes with the thugs and Monty Python like fighting apostles, there is little music. Oddly compelling and intense visuals, that might hold anyone's attention, even if they knew nothing about the Jesus stories.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
          You think it's genius that he's offering nothing? Not sure if you wanted people to comment on other people's genius posts so I guess I'll avoid starting a big debate.
          Methinks, pnod was being sarcastic.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fuuma
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
            Methinks, pnod was being sarcastic.
            Not sure. I think Terence Koh is like a slightly more annoying Paris Hilton but not everyone agrees, for some mysterious reason.

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

I always find the word "genius" to be very suspicious when used in ANY capacity. I never really know what it means and generally the people being called that are rarely who I'd define as fitting the part.

Though I don't even wear his stuff anymore, nevertheless Yohji has come more and more, at least in the clothing realm, to fit my definition, because he has a combination of honesty, childlike curiosity (that's a compliment) and innocense, fierce determination and hard work, and an ability to keep constant amid changing waters while still remaining relevant.

Strangely enough, what really got me thinking this about Yohji was when he started Y-3. I always love his interviews in general, but the one he gave during the first collection for Y-3 in 2003 or so that really just made me say, "clothes be damned... this guy's GOT IT" was when he said, "Many people know Adidas. But, not many people know me. So, now, maybe they'll know me." Period. Nothing stupidly "arch-intellectual" about "collaborations of mass sportswear and japanese avant-garde," nothing about "consumerism," just "I want people to know me and see what I do."

I love that. Too bad I don't always love Y-3, but that doesn't matter. :)

Comment

• kira
                • Mar 2008

hmmmm. so much to discuss here

Art Fairs:
                As of late, I am really annoyed with the entire Art Fair scenario. Ironic given what I do, or perhaps expected. I avoided Miami Basel for this reason, and because of the depressing architecture. It is actually not a bad fair in comparison to some, but I am really over the walking up and down white stalls to see mediocre work, that I saw just a short bit ago at another Fair. Last year, I did actually see some interesting work that I had not seen before. But that has been an uncommon occurrence for me.

This is where the art market exists/has existed for a while now. It is a way to showcase artists outside of the fixed gallery, bringing work to other people that perhaps may not be able to see it in other circumstances. But more than anything, in my opinion, it is a way for collectors to shop more easily, which is a necessity to keep my beloveds making more. Such a vicious cycle... The work that I do see there though, is usually more of the commodity, the more marketable work, rather than only what the artist is interested in expressing, so that always disappoints me some. Although, it is completely understandable to do this and again necessary for them to survive today. It is rare to find that collector that wants the installation or the large video piece...

I do enjoy when the Fair introduces projects to the arena, to try to shake up the space a bit and give artists a chance to do something unique for that moment. Somehow that breaks up the monotony of the thing. In Miami, the beach is really good for breaking that up, but then I find myself looking at art for about 5 hours, and spending 4 days laying and running in the sun, surrounded by tons of people for twice as much money. Whereas, I could just fly down 2 months later, when I am sick of the snow, and have more peace.

As far as genius, thoughts to come later.
                Distraction is an obstruction of the construction.

Comment

• ddohnggo
                  • Oct 2006

Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• sam_tem
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by philip nod View Post

A flustered Momin said, "Terence's art is about nothing. His performance is that he is not playing music." The artist, grinning in a Mickey Mouse T-shirt and plaid hoodie, confirmed this. "This is my performance. This is me, performing." He added, "I am having an amazing time."
                    rather than regurgitating other peoples ideas perhaps koh would like to update the idea for a new generation and actually set himself on fire as a performance.

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by sam_tem View Post
                      rather than regurgitating other peoples ideas perhaps koh would like to update the idea for a new generation and actually set himself on fire as a performance.
                      Monks beat him to it.
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• mamaboy
                        • Mar 2008

pnod got chip on the shouuulder....i want to be contemporary art bad boy tooo...
                        but what started out as business has quickley turned to pleasure

Comment

• philip nod
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                          fuumskil
                          I should have put "genius" in quotes in the subject title and if any one can do that for me that would help clarify.
                          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                            fuumskil
                            I should have put "genius" in quotes in the subject title and if any one can do that for me that would help clarify.
                            Am I a genius if I first read your quote as saying a flustered "Moomin" said. I'd love for one of these fuckers to comment on the art market.

Comment

• Fuuma
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mamaboy View Post
                              pnod got chip on the shouuulder....i want to be contemporary art bad boy tooo...
                              He's not a bad boy, he’s aping one. Nobody is really offended as it’s not transgressive just posturing, not conceptual just devoid of actual work, no technically impressive just lazy, not aesthetically pleasing just empty. If you’ve got no stance, no content and no piece you’re hot hair. I don’t cry about it and more power to him but please let’s call it for what is is; the result of a speculative art market based on the wealthy buying the right to say they have taste while having no comprehension of what is going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎