X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

Ann Demeulemeester's beautiful dream

Usually cast as the dark queen of Belgian fashion, it’s a surprise to see Ann Demeulemeester’s eyes fairly twinkle when describing the unorthodox use of diamonds in her stunning fine jewellery line (exclusively available at Dover Street Market). “You know, Antwerp is famous for its diamonds. When they asked me, “Could you imagine designing with diamonds?” it was a language far away from myself because I had never worked with it before. So I wanted to start from zero, forgetting the establishment’s ideas of diamonds. A diamond is a beautiful stone – a child would look to it like a star, and try to hold the star, to cage it and wear it. So you wear the stones and it becomes really pure.”

Such a poetic statement is typical for this passionate designer, who has been forging her own soulful, romantic aesthetic for over 20 years now. Like her eternal muse and best friend, Patti Smith, Demeulemeester pioneered the androgynous look with her masterful melding of masculine and feminine elements and has been showing her menswear and womenswear in one show for a decade now, something venerated brands like Balenciaga are starting to follow. Her S/S 09 show was a charming and frothy affair that used the fairytale of an imaginary princess as a starting point. This manifested in the use of embellishment with snowflakes picked out in crystals and the expansion of her colour scheme to include orange, yellow and saffron in addition to her trademark black and white. She sat down with Dazed Digital over tea at the Rose Bakery.

Dazed Digital: Is making jewelry personal for you?
    Ann Demeulemeester: It’s something I wanted to do for a long time. It’s the question of finding the right moment, meeting the right people so in summer 2007, I started with this fine jewellery line. So first thing I made was my emblematic feather with a silver chain.
    Jewellery is something that has to do with emotion. That aspect of jewellery really interests me. I had to find my own language in jewellery that was important to me, it really had to be what I would love to have myself. Pieces one can change himself or herself to make it more personal. I really see it as treasures that remain for a long time.

DD: You’ve deviated from your monochrome palette for your S/S 09 collection. Tell us about your experiments with colour this season
    AD: It came naturally. There was something that had to do with mysticism that led me to want colour. I wanted colour and shape to be quite abstract, the exaggeration of colour. To push it further, we exaggerated the shapes also so it was like clouds of colour, not just the garment in colour.
    The idea to want colours came from Herman Hesse’s ‘Siddhartha’ book where I started. Of course it was just the beginning idea and things go far away from it.

DD: Your S/S 09 Men’s show was also very poignant with the use of older gentlemen in the show. Was that also from Hesse?
    AD: Yes, he also wrote poems and text about the beauty of getting older. I saw pictures of Herman Hesse and I really liked the man. He was so beautiful in his fragility, so old and so fragile and so rich in spirit that I had to do something with it! I thought it would be beautiful to do a show where you have the fragility of the very young and the fragility of the very old and put them together. The older you get, the wiser the clothes would be. The young would be black and the older would be beautiful, shining and white, like an angel. It was an experiment, I wanted to break the rule of the young and the beautiful. I wanted to show the old and the beautiful.
    The oldest model was 87! I thought he was the most beautiful. It was amazing to me how proud they were, they had so much dignity. To be able to give them that made me so happy that day. They were so much more proud than the young guys. It was amazing to see their grace. It was a real experience.

DD: When you first came to London with the Antwerp Six, it was the beginning of the explosion of punk. Do you still see that energy today?
    AD: It’s completely different, I cannot compare it at all. Of course there is energy here but it’s harder to find, there is too much. When I came at the end of the Seventies, it was amazing! The energy of the music, discovering that. Now people look to the internet , they know everything, there’s nothing to discover anymore. In the eighties, when there was a new record, it was like wow! There’s a new record! You would wait, buy it, dance and go crazy! You don’t have this feeling anymore.

DD: You started your business at the beginning of a major economic crisis…
    AD: Absolutely. Everybody told me, “Are you crazy? It’s a crisis and you’re starting now!” but I couldn’t care less! I think crisis is a good moment to act, it’s not a moment to panic and do nothing, it’s the moment where the good will be divided from the bad.

DD: We find ourselves in financial meltdown again. How do you think fashion responds to this? Will it be a time of great creativity?
    AD: I hope so. I still make an effort to do a beautiful dream for people and I feel it works because I’ve sold more than ever. I just try to be honest. I want to give something realistic. To give things to wear, to dream to be happy with. To add something to one’s life.

DD: You were one of the first designers to show both men’s and womenswear in the same show. But do you find the process of designing for men different? You fit your womenswear on yourself and friends, do you fit your menswear on your husband and son?
    AD: Only difference is that you work for a completely different body. But for the rest, the process is more or less the same. But I’ve been showing menswear and womenswear together for 10 years now. Women always look more beautiful when there are men around, they reinforce each other.
    My husband fits every single piece. I need human feelings to fit garments, I couldn’t do it just like on an object, it’s too close to our body. It’s like a skin you are making so you need one’s feelings to make a garment.

DD: You’ve been in this business for over 20 years now. How do you see your position in the fashion world has evolved and what are your hopes for the future?
    AD: I hope I add something that was not there. The most beautiful compliments from I get from people is that I added something to their consciousness when they put on my clothes. As for my place in the fashion world, the beautiful thing was that when I started, I was revolting, doing my own thing, I didn’t look too much to fashion. Now the fashion world is respecting me for that now. They know that it is one soul, one line continuing.
    The future is open and I never make plans. As long as it’s interesting to me, I try to live my life to the fullest.

http://www.dazeddigital.com/Fashion/...eautiful_Dream
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff
  • Fuuma
    • Sep 2006

There's a quote in there about clothes being like skin that I'm sure becoming intense will appreciate.
    Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
    http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Secretside
      • Jul 2008

great interview- I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this woman. thanks for posting, Fuuma.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Thanks for posting, Fuuma. Androgyny, heh...
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

I love this:
          DD: You started your business at the beginning of a major economic crisis…
          AD: Absolutely. Everybody told me, “Are you crazy? It’s a crisis and you’re starting now!” but I couldn’t care less! I think crisis is a good moment to act, it’s not a moment to panic and do nothing, it’s the moment where the good will be divided from the bad.
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• recherché
            • Dec 2008

this whole interview was extremely touching.

I loved what she had to say about the old, beautiful models.

I also think people become more beautiful the older they become. each story someone takes into their lives, each moment they gain, each day they live..... makes them that more multi-faceted and that much more beautiful.
            I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

Comment

• BECOMING-INTENSE
              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
              There's a quote in there about clothes being like skin that I'm sure becoming intense will appreciate.
              Thank you, Fuuma, for remembering.
              It's those bodies again ...

Are you afraid of women, Doctor?
              Of course.

www.becomingmads.com

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Fuuma View Post
                DD: When you first came to London with the Antwerp Six, it was the beginning of the explosion of punk. Do you still see that energy today?
                AD: It’s completely different, I cannot compare it at all. Of course there is energy here but it’s harder to find, there is too much. When I came at the end of the Seventies, it was amazing! The energy of the music, discovering that. Now people look to the internet , they know everything, there’s nothing to discover anymore. In the eighties, when there was a new record, it was like wow! There’s a new record! You would wait, buy it, dance and go crazy! You don’t have this feeling anymore.
                Blah blah typical rant from old in-people - always annoys me.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

I guess I'm old...
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    I guess I'm old...
                    You also complain about the youths and their stupid music and how everything was better before blogs and djs?

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by skecr8r_l8r View Post
                      You also complain about the youths and their stupid music and how everything was better before blogs and djs?
                      No, but I agree that the music scene has become oversaturated. An album from a band used to be an event. Now there is so much garbage out that an album is rendered meaningless. I don't remember the last time I bought an entire album, because I can't find one worth buying. It's usually one hit single and the rest is garbage. Pitchfork (who are pretty discriminating) has a list of 50 best albums of 2008. That presumes that there were 50 albums worth buying in a single year. To me this is simply preposterous.

I love the internet though. It's made life much easier.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                        • Apr 2007

No, but I agree that the music scene has become oversaturated. An album from a band used to be an event. Now there is so much garbage out that an album is rendered meaningless. I don't remember the last time I bought an entire album, because I can't find one worth buying. It's usually one hit single and the rest is garbage. Pitchfork (who are pretty discriminating) has a list of 50 best albums of 2008. That presumes that there were 50 albums worth buying in a single year. To me this is simply preposterous.

I love the internet though. It's made life much easier.
                        The key point is that there is so much out there that it has become a lot harder to stay afloat and only listen to the good stuff. A lot of people Ive talked to say that back in the day, out of a 100 albums, maybe 5 to 10 would be good. Nowadays that number has fallen to about 1, maybe even a lower frequency. But that doesn't mean that there isn't so much great music being released. You just need to know where to look - and no, Pitchfork isn't the place, they suck tbh.

Recommendation: new Animal Collective is out, that stuff is very good in my opinion - the entire album.

I remember time and time again in 2008 when I looked forward to albums, and honestly: there was released so much wonderful music. I can make you a list of maybe 250 great albums of 2008 you should give a listen, if you want. But beware: I have a ridiculously broad taste in music.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Yes, that is the key point, which Ann makes :-) I suppose I don't have the energy to wade through so much shit in order to find a gem.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• skecr8r_l8r
                            • Apr 2007

Yes, that is the key point, which Ann makes :-) I suppose I don't have the energy to wade through so much shit in order to find a gem.
                            There is so much energy and being part of a scene today still has that vibe. I can tell you thats what happen whenever a new RAL record or Type thing comes out. It is only lost on people who are no longer connected to the scenes - older people, mostly, since they maybe used to care more.

Comment

• Catfood
                              • Oct 2008

I think her point was more about how information spreads and how the the latest thing is instantly everywhere in the developed world, a kid in Helsinki downloads an track from a kid from NY's blog. Two weeks later the kid from Helsiniki is doing something similar to what's going on in NY.

Same goes for albums, used to be the staff in the record store would recomend new stuff and you'd listen to it in the store. Now you download the album in 5 min. And read the wikipedia entry on the band while you wait. There is no mysticism, no who are these people? Where are they from? it's all instant.

Just buying an album becuase the cover looks cool is a thing of the past, no one really discovers anything anymore. If I go to london I can go online find out what local bands are worth seeing, places to go out etc. Going somewhere and seeing something completely new and unexpected never happens anymore, new subcultures are dead before they even start. A youth culture like punk could never happen today, it would be available in highstreets all over the world before it even started.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎