X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KodakII
    • Sep 2008

Jean Paul Gaultier

Jean Paul Gaultier (born April 24, 1952, in Arcueil) is a French fashion designer.

Gaultier had no formal training as designer. Instead, he started very early to send sketches to famous couture stylists. Pierre Cardin was impressed by his talent and hired him as an assistant in 1970. His first individual collection was released in 1976 and his characteristic irreverent style dates from 1981. Gaultier's following collections are based on street wear, focusing on popular culture. He popularised the use of skirts, especially kilts on men's wardrobe, and the release of designer collections. Gaultier caused shock by using unconventional models for his exhibitions, like old and fat women, pierced and heavy tattooed models, and by playing with traditional gender roles in the shows. This actions granted him both criticism and enormous popularity.

Gaultier also designed the wardrobe of many motions pictures, including Luc Besson's The Fifth Element, Pedro Almodóvar's Kika. Madonna's Blonde Ambition Tour also featured his creations.

Last edited by KodakII; 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM.
  • misc_msc
    • Jan 2009

never been a fan of JPG

Comment

• justine
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by misc_msc View Post
      never been a fan of JPG
      always have been

Comment

• reborn
        • Aug 2008

Its kind of odd to think MMM worked for JPG...then MMM worked for Hermes and now JPG works for Hermes.

Comment

• surver
          • Oct 2007

it's kinda like the hedi slimane establishing dior homme... assistant kris van assche quite dh and starts on his own... then hedi quits dh and kva gets called back to take over dh where hedi left it...

not exactly... but kinda...

Comment

• reborn
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by new_dawn_fades
            mmmmmmmnotreally

im afraid you cant compare hedi/ ass with MMM/ JPG

as innovative as margiela is in his own right...he didnt have any profound influence at Hermes...yes he made simple beautiful clothes... but JPG is undoubtedly a true fashion talent...whether you like it or not

truly because his name has lasted for longer than a decade(or two almost)

and please dont mention Ass(che)'es name here.. he has officially become an unmentionable
            The double wrap CapeCod watch comes to mind...

Comment

• rach2jlc
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by new_dawn_fades
              mmmmmmmnotreally

im afraid you cant compare hedi/ ass with MMM/ JPG

as innovative as margiela is in his own right...he didnt have any profound influence at Hermes...yes he made simple beautiful clothes... but JPG is undoubtedly a true fashion talent...whether you like it or not

truly because his name has lasted for longer than a decade(or two almost)

and please dont mention Ass(che)'es name here.. he has officially become an unmentionable
              +1. Even though the aesthetic is not one I can wear, I must admit a soft-spot for JPG and his work and some simple items of his have insinuated their way into my wardrobe ever since I started buying "fashion" clothes. When he's ON... he's on and it has a sense of mystery, luxury, sexiness, and a sense of self-deprecating humor that can't be overlooked.

JPG looks like he absolutely loves what he does and the people who wear his clothes... and it shows.

As for MMM and Hermes... I was never floored with what he did there and found it very lackluster. I think JPG has taken it in many new directions and made it much less "dusty."

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by justine View Post
                always have been
                Me too.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jonn
                  • Mar 2008

im relatively new to JPG's work. i adore his work for fifth element, though. everything in the set was spot on--campy!

Comment

for some reason I always mix up jean paul gaultier and john galliano.

Comment

• justine
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                      Well, if we have a JPG and Mugler thread, we ought to start a Galliano thread.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Heirloom View Post
                        Do you also mix up your papa and yourself?
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• KodakII
                          • Sep 2008

I really don't like John Galliano's current work. It's like he is stuck in a rut of drawing inspiration from over done trannies and circus clowns. After every thing is peeled away, there are some nice pieces, but overall, I just can't get with it.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I agree. He just doesn't care anymore, that's the sense I get. Still, the man is very talented (or used to be). Anyway, I'll take McQueen over him any day of the year.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                              Do you also mix up your papa and yourself?
                              I wasn't saying there was a good reason for it. I find it kind of strange that I do mix them up. I agree however that I'd pick mcqueen over any of them any day.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎